* Supporting new Windows UDP offload features
@ 2022-05-02 14:11 Rony Ross
From: Rony Ross @ 2022-05-02 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

Starting from Windows 10 version 2004, Windows supports UDP
segmentation offload and UDP receive coalescing as described in
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/udp-segmentation-offload-uso-#ndis-interface-changes
and in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winsock/ipproto-udp-socket-options
It seems that in order to support UDP segmentaion offload and UDP
receive coalescing, cygwin needs to add support for UDP_SEND_MSG_SIZE
and UDP_RECV_MAX_COALESCED_SIZE socket options for IPPROTO_UDP

Could you please add it? If so, could you please estimate when it will
be available?

Thanks you,
Rony

* Re: Supporting new Windows UDP offload features
@ 2022-05-02 17:51 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-05-02 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2022-05-02 08:11, Rony Ross wrote:
> Starting from Windows 10 version 2004, Windows supports UDP
> segmentation offload and UDP receive coalescing as described in
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/udp-segmentation-offload-uso-#ndis-interface-changes
> and in
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winsock/ipproto-udp-socket-options
>
> It seems that in order to support UDP segmentaion offload and UDP
> receive coalescing, cygwin needs to add support for UDP_SEND_MSG_SIZE
> and UDP_RECV_MAX_COALESCED_SIZE socket options for IPPROTO_UDP
>
> Could you please add it? If so, could you please estimate when it will
> be available?

Cygwin is an all-volunteer non-commercial open source POSIX/Linux
emulation project, typically driven by developers' needs and interests,
sometimes offering patchsets to add or enable features previously
available in BSD flavours.

If you are not a developer capable of doing so, you will have to wait
and see if any developer is inspired by your post, and has the free time
to work on it.

You might want to help this along by expanding on some description of
use cases, impacts, advantages, benefits, downsides, Unix parameters and
implementations to be supported for emulation, Unix and Windows
configuration of features, and availability on NICs, of those network
features.

* Re: Supporting new Windows UDP offload features
@ 2022-05-02 17:54 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2022-05-02 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Rony Ross

On May  2 17:11, Rony Ross wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Starting from Windows 10 version 2004, Windows supports UDP
> segmentation offload and UDP receive coalescing as described in
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/udp-segmentation-offload-uso-#ndis-interface-changes
> and in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winsock/ipproto-udp-socket-options
> It seems that in order to support UDP segmentaion offload and UDP
> receive coalescing, cygwin needs to add support for UDP_SEND_MSG_SIZE
> and UDP_RECV_MAX_COALESCED_SIZE socket options for IPPROTO_UDP
>
> Could you please add it?

Reading about those, it looks like they might be drop-in solutions
to implement the Linux UDP_SEGMENT and UDP_GRO socket options.
Knowing Windows however, I'm sure there's a twist somewhere...

> If so, could you please estimate when it will be available?

In the hopes they work the same way, I can make the UDP_SEGMENT and
UDP_GRO socket options available in the next major Cygwin version.

Availability, probably at some point late this year. Or later.
We're not at a point where this is safe to say.

However, test versions can be made available rather soon, I think.

Corinna

* Re: Supporting new Windows UDP offload features
@ 2022-09-19 19:27   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2022-09-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/19/2022 4:23 AM, Rony Ross wrote:
> I've been using the USO feature and it works well. Thanks!
> Was this feature officially released?

No, it will be in the next major release (3.4.0), probably before the end of the
year.

Ken

* Re: Supporting new Windows UDP offload features
@ 2022-09-19  8:23 ` Rony Ross
From: Rony Ross @ 2022-09-19  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been using the USO feature and it works well. Thanks!
Was this feature officially released?

Regards,
Rony

@ 2022-05-24  5:50 rony.ross