* Re: Compiled executable differences between 9x and NT
@ 1999-03-08 18:37 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-03-08 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jonpryor, cygwin

In a message dated 3/8/99 6:23:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, jonpryor@vt.edu
writes:

<< What are the *exact* differences between 95 and NT,
 as far as the cygwin environment and compiler are
 concerned? >>

I imagine many of them are dependent on proprietary M$ information.

<<Under 95, it's currently causing
a "blue screen">>

There's one of these when expect crashes in the egcs testsuite on W95.  It
doesn't get that far under NT.

<<Is there anything that is known to break 95 while
working under NT?>>

Of course, but I haven't seen any official list.  One of them is attempting to
build egcs from patch files.  The snapshot releases have made progress on the
vfork failures of the original b20.1 under W95.  There are also things which
work better under W95 than NT.  One of them is catching success/failure
returns from gcc/g++/g77 compiled a.exe.

* Re: Compiled executable differences between 9x and NT
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jonpryor, cygwin

       [not found] ` < 0f3801be6c8a$9c41d7c0$e63d2509@jonpryor.raleigh.ibm.com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Jonathan Pryor
From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I suppose I wasn't too clear in my original message.
It was the *application* that was crashing; not Windows.
Granted, it caused a blue-screen in Win95 (which never
gives me a good feeling), but the system was still
running after the fact (Win95 hadn't frozen).
Thus, you're seeing what I was seeing.

So, it looks like I somehow stumbled across an
incompatibility in Win95B that didn't exist before.
Anybody have a later version (OSR2, OSR2.5, Win98, etc.)
to test?  Maybe it's only Win95B that bombs...which would
still be odd, and I'm not sure how it could be solved.
But it would certainly help my curiosity...

As for the download issue...  I hadn't run into that before.
Is "application/zip" close-enough for a tarball?  e.g.

(I didn't see anything referencing "tar" in the IANA database,
but I saw "application/zip", which seems to fit...)
Hopefully, this should fix the mime type problem -- if you're
accessing from an html page, anyway.  I'm not sure how to set
the mime-type on a file when _directly_ accessing the file,
instead of through an href.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
 - Jon

From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

<inline>

From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anders Norlander <anorland@hem2.passagen.se> writes:

> I have a w95 system (haven't tested on NT) similar to yours (4.00.950 B
> and IE 4.0 xx) and it crashes for me as well.
>
> This suggests that there might be some problem with this setup
> or it could be something completely different.

Could someone test it on a Win95 B (I know it works on Win95 A) *without*
IE 4.0 and see if it still works? I wonder if IE is the deciding factor
here.

Regards,
Mumit

From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I hadn't known about the `.htaccess' file.  Thank you for the
suggestion.  "Correct" headers are now being generated for
the .tgz file (at least according to DJ's HTTP Header Viewer).

Hopefully this should fix any download problems...
 - Jon

Glenn Spell <glenn@gs.fay.nc.us> wrote:

>[This message is off topic but I believe it is of interest.]
>
>Jonathan Pryor wrote:
>> I suppose I wasn't too clear in my original message.
>> It was the *application* that was crashing; not Windows.
>
>I just wanted to make sure you know what I was seeing.
>
>> As for the download issue...  I hadn't run into that before.
>> Is "application/zip" close-enough for a tarball?  e.g.

>Well, I tried again and Netscape 4.05 still corrupts the file on
>download. I assume the problem is still the headers generated
>by your webserver.
>
>> (I didn't see anything referencing "tar" in the IANA database,
>> but I saw "application/zip", which seems to fit...)
>
>I saw that there also. Oddly, either Netscape or WinZip set me
>up in Netscape with "application/x-zip-compressed    .ZIP". I
>changed it to "application/zip" before I tried the download.
>
>> Hopefully, this should fix the mime type problem -- if you're
>> accessing from an html page, anyway.  I'm not sure how to set
>> the mime-type on a file when _directly_ accessing the file,
>> instead of through an href.  Thoughts?
>
>I believe the following method will work regardless of how the
>file is accessed. Since you're using Apache on FreeBSD, just
>make a file named ".htaccess" in that directory with the
>following content:
>
>AddType    application/x-gzip    .gz .tgz
>AddType    application/x-tar     .tar

<snip>

* Compiled executable differences between 9x and NT
       [not found] ` < 088201be696e$f2867650$e63d2509@jonpryor.raleigh.ibm.com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Jonathan Pryor
From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

(I would try to look this up on the web page, but
I'm having trouble connecting to cygnus.com at the
moment...)

What are the *exact* differences between 95 and NT,
as far as the cygwin environment and compiler are
concerned?

I would normally assume that if I stick with the
strict ANSI stuff (console I/O), limited to the
extent so that MSVC can also compile it (no great
reliance on the posix api's), that I should be able
to compile an executable on both 95 and NT and have
it behave the same on both.

Unfortunately, I have a program for which this isn't
happening.  Under NT, it runs as expected in all
cases.  Under 95, it's currently causing
a "blue screen" with cygwin egcs-1.1.1, and causes
a "This progam has performed an illegal operation
and will be shut down." message under mingw32.

I get these errors if the executable was compiled
and run under 95, or if the executable was compiled
under NT but run under 95.  (The same executable --
compiled under either 95 or NT -- runs fine under
NT.)

As a note, it compiles and runs fine with MSVC6.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
Is there anything that is known to break 95 while
working under NT?

Thanks,
 - Jon

(Yes, I probably should try to get the whole source
available, but I'm in the process of trying to clean
it up for public distribution, so it may be awhile...)

* Re: Compiled executable differences between 9x and NT
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pryor, cygwin

>As for the download issue...  I hadn't run into that before.
>Is "application/zip" close-enough for a tarball?  e.g.

>(I didn't see anything referencing "tar" in the IANA database,
>but I saw "application/zip", which seems to fit...)
>Hopefully, this should fix the mime type problem -- if you're
>accessing from an html page, anyway.  I'm not sure how to set
>the mime-type on a file when _directly_ accessing the file,
>instead of through an href.  Thoughts?

The Netscape latest version (version 4.51) seems to have some bugs which
I noticed.  On Windows Nt and 98 it is corrupting the *.tgz and tar.gz
archives.  Upon extraction or doing a gzunip I get *invalid archive
format* errors.  I discovered this problem with Netscape 4.51 yesterday
when i was downloading *.tar.gz archives from a few different sites.

--SMS

From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jonathan Pryor" <jonpryor@vt.edu> writes:

> I get these errors if the executable was compiled
> and run under 95, or if the executable was compiled
> under NT but run under 95.  (The same executable --
> compiled under either 95 or NT -- runs fine under
> NT.)
>
> As a note, it compiles and runs fine with MSVC6.
>
> Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem?
> Is there anything that is known to break 95 while
> working under NT?
>
> Thanks,
>  - Jon
>
> (Yes, I probably should try to get the whole source
> available, but I'm in the process of trying to clean
> it up for public distribution, so it may be awhile...)

Without looking at your code, it's almost impossible to tell what is
wrong. Compiler bug? User code bug? Runtime bug? All of these are
probable, and that's why guesswork is usually a waste of time.

If you can package up the sources, I'll take a look.

Note that W95 is *very* sensitive to memory corruption bugs, and in
many cases, these codes will run seemingly fine on Linux, NT etc.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: Compiled executable differences between 9x and NT
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999, Jonathan Pryor wrote:

> What are the *exact* differences between 95 and NT,
> as far as the cygwin environment and compiler are
> concerned?
>
> I would normally assume that if I stick with the
> strict ANSI stuff (console I/O), limited to the
> extent so that MSVC can also compile it (no great
> reliance on the posix api's), that I should be able
> to compile an executable on both 95 and NT and have
> it behave the same on both.

9x and NT have different sets of bugs and features.  Cygwin
checks which OS is running and uses this info to provide the
a Unix layer that should make Cygwin applications run
the same under either OS.  (Of course while this is the
goal, sometimes this doesn't quite happen).

> Unfortunately, I have a program for which this isn't
> happening.  Under NT, it runs as expected in all
> cases.  Under 95, it's currently causing
> a "blue screen" with cygwin egcs-1.1.1, and causes
> a "This progam has performed an illegal operation
> and will be shut down." message under mingw32.
>
> I get these errors if the executable was compiled
> and run under 95, or if the executable was compiled
> under NT but run under 95.  (The same executable --
> compiled under either 95 or NT -- runs fine under
> NT.)
>
> As a note, it compiles and runs fine with MSVC6.

Ah, you're using mingw.  So Cygwin is probably
not relevant.  Hmmm, well, I've noticed that Windows
9x often is more sensitive to buggy exes.  Perhaps
you're running into a compiler issue?

--
Geoffrey Noer		Email: noer@cygnus.com
Cygnus Solutions

* Re: Compiled executable differences between 9x and NT
@ 1999-03-31 19:45           ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: anorland, jonpryor, cygwin

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 02:48:45 GMT
Server: Apache/1.2.5

@ 1999-03-31 19:45         ` neud
From: neud @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mr. Kuehn never works by us. Please actualize your Mail-Listings.

Thank you

From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does your W95 laptop have IE installed?  Given the
results from Anders Norlander, it's possible that
IE is causing problems...

Thanks,
 - Jon

       [not found] ` < 0ac501be6a83$48632630$e63d2509@jonpryor.raleigh.ibm.com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Jonathan Pryor
From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

A tarball of the source is available at:

http://www.acm.vt.edu/~jonpryor/Projects/gecl.tgz

Readme.txt (in the tarball) includes directions on
compiling the program, as well as descriptions of
the observed crash under 95.

<snip>

>9x and NT have different sets of bugs and features.  Cygwin
>checks which OS is running and uses this info to provide the
>a Unix layer that should make Cygwin applications run
>the same under either OS.  (Of course while this is the
>goal, sometimes this doesn't quite happen).

Cygwin isn't there yet, but it's getting close.  Thank you
for the effort.

<snip>

>Ah, you're using mingw.  So Cygwin is probably
>not relevant.  Hmmm, well, I've noticed that Windows
>9x often is more sensitive to buggy exes.  Perhaps
>you're running into a compiler issue?

Actually, I'm trying to use as many compilers as I can.
Thus, I'm compiling with cygwin, mingw32, and MSVC.
(I would also try DJGPP, but I had some configuration
issues I still need to deal with...)

As for compiler issues...  I seem to have run into a fair
number of them trying to develop the program.  I sent out
a prior message detailing 3 template-related bugs to the
cygwin list (as well as to egcs-bugs).  I believe I've
worked around them, but it's possible I missed a few.

>--
>Geoffrey Noer Email: noer@cygnus.com
>Cygnus Solutions

Thanks,
 - Jon

* Re: Compiled executable differences between 9x and NT
       [not found]   ` < 36E7DAFC.7D1AE3AC@hem2.passagen.se >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Anders Norlander
From: Anders Norlander @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathan Pryor wrote:
> It turns out the version of Win95 I'm testing on is 4.00.950 B,
> with IE 4.0 SP1.  Furthermore, it had pre-bundled software,
> so I have no idea what could be causing a conflict on this
> system.
>
> At least I know I'm not going crazy and that it does, in fact,
> run under at least one person's copy of Win95, though.

I have a w95 system (haven't tested on NT) similar to yours (4.00.950 B
and IE 4.0 xx) and it crashes for me as well.

This suggests that there might be some problem with this setup
or it could be something completely different.

Anders

* Re: Compiled executable differences between 9x and NT
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pryor; +Cc: cygwin

Jonathan Pryor wrote:
> I suppose I wasn't too clear in my original message.
> It was the *application* that was crashing; not Windows.

I just wanted to make sure you know what I was seeing.

> As for the download issue...  I hadn't run into that before.
> Is "application/zip" close-enough for a tarball?  e.g.

Well, I tried again and Netscape 4.05 still corrupts the file on
download. I assume the problem is still the headers generated
by your webserver.

> (I didn't see anything referencing "tar" in the IANA database,
> but I saw "application/zip", which seems to fit...)

I saw that there also. Oddly, either Netscape or WinZip set me
up in Netscape with "application/x-zip-compressed    .ZIP". I
changed it to "application/zip" before I tried the download.

> Hopefully, this should fix the mime type problem -- if you're
> accessing from an html page, anyway.  I'm not sure how to set
> the mime-type on a file when _directly_ accessing the file,
> instead of through an href.  Thoughts?

I believe the following method will work regardless of how the
file is accessed. Since you're using Apache on FreeBSD, just
make a file named ".htaccess" in that directory with the
following content:

AddType    application/x-gzip    .gz .tgz
AddType    application/x-tar     .tar

File permissions must be correct and there may need to be
other directives in the file depending on how Apache is
configured. Check with the Head System Admin (Daniel Hagan)
there or the WWW Group <www@acm.vt.edu> if you need help.

Actually, those types are so common they should have been
set up in the global config files by the admin. (I searched
for examples of ".tgz" on the Net but didn't find any. I
don't think what follows "application/" is critical... only
that the server recognizes the extension ".tgz" and prints
a Content-Type header that results in a binary download.)

To check the headers sent by your server you can use DJ's
"HTTP Header Viewer" at:
    < http://www.delorie.com/web/headers.html >

-glenn

From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<inline>
From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-12 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-03-12 10:58   ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-03-12 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pryor; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-12  6:06 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-12  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Pryor, cygwin

@ 1999-03-12  5:17 Jonathan Pryor
       [not found] ` < 0f3801be6c8a$9c41d7c0$e63d2509@jonpryor.raleigh.ibm.com >
From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-12  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-03-11 19:14         ` Glenn Spell
From: Glenn Spell @ 1999-03-11 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: anorland, jonpryor, cygwin

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 02:48:45 GMT
Server: Apache/1.2.5

@ 1999-03-11  7:37 Jonathan Pryor

@ 1999-03-11  7:17       ` neud
       [not found]       ` < 199903111508.JAA27393@modi.xraylith.wisc.edu >
From: neud @ 1999-03-11  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mumit Khan schrieb:

> Anders Norlander <anorland@hem2.passagen.se> writes:
> >
> > I have a w95 system (haven't tested on NT) similar to yours (4.00.950 B
> > and IE 4.0 xx) and it crashes for me as well.
> >
> > This suggests that there might be some problem with this setup
> > or it could be something completely different.
> >

> Could someone test it on a Win95 B (I know it works on Win95 A) *without*
> IE 4.0 and see if it still works? I wonder if IE is the deciding factor
> here.
>
> Regards,
> Mumit
>
> --

* Re: Compiled executable differences between 9x and NT
       [not found]   ` < 36E7DAFC.7D1AE3AC@hem2.passagen.se >
@ 1999-03-11  7:08     ` Mumit Khan
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-03-11  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-03-11  7:03 ` Anders Norlander
       [not found]   ` < 36E7DAFC.7D1AE3AC@hem2.passagen.se >
From: Anders Norlander @ 1999-03-11  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-03-10  4:59 Jonathan Pryor
From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-10  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

<inline>

@ 1999-03-09 17:07   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-03-09 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-03-09 15:19 Jonathan Pryor
       [not found] ` < 0ac501be6a83$48632630$e63d2509@jonpryor.raleigh.ibm.com >
From: Jonathan Pryor @ 1999-03-09 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

A tarball of the source is available at:

http://www.acm.vt.edu/~jonpryor/Projects/gecl.tgz

Readme.txt (in the tarball) includes directions on
compiling the program, as well as descriptions of
the observed crash under 95.

<snip>

>9x and NT have different sets of bugs and features.  Cygwin
>checks which OS is running and uses this info to provide the
>a Unix layer that should make Cygwin applications run
>the same under either OS.  (Of course while this is the
>goal, sometimes this doesn't quite happen).

Cygwin isn't there yet, but it's getting close.  Thank you
for the effort.

<snip>

>Ah, you're using mingw.  So Cygwin is probably
>not relevant.  Hmmm, well, I've noticed that Windows
>9x often is more sensitive to buggy exes.  Perhaps
>you're running into a compiler issue?

Actually, I'm trying to use as many compilers as I can.
Thus, I'm compiling with cygwin, mingw32, and MSVC.
(I would also try DJGPP, but I had some configuration
issues I still need to deal with...)

As for compiler issues...  I seem to have run into a fair
number of them trying to develop the program.  I sent out
a prior message detailing 3 template-related bugs to the
cygwin list (as well as to egcs-bugs).  I believe I've
worked around them, but it's possible I missed a few.

>--
>Geoffrey Noer Email: noer@cygnus.com
>Cygnus Solutions

Thanks,