* [krk@cygnus.com: [Fwd: Cygnus And Windows 2000 ?]]
@ 2000-08-23  8:03 Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-08-23  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Someone want to help this guy?

cgf

----- Forwarded message from Kim Knuttila <krk@cygnus.com> -----

From: Kim Knuttila <krk@cygnus.com>
To: cgf@cygnus.com
Subject: [Fwd: Cygnus And Windows 2000 ?]
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 06:44:04 -0700

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Cygnus And Windows 2000 ?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:38:11 +0200
From: philippe gerard <philippe.gerard@inria.fr>
To: webmaster@cygnus.com

Dear sirs,

I tried to install cygwin with windows 2000. The installation procedure
has no problem but the application is not working properly:
When I click on the Cygwin icon , the only thing I get is a really brief
black window where I don't have the time to read the content.

Sincerely
Philippe

----- End forwarded message -----

* Re: [Fwd: Cygnus And Windows 2000 ?]]
@ 2000-08-23 19:19 ` Gregory Walker
From: Gregory Walker @ 2000-08-23 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: philippe gerard; +Cc: cygwin

At 11:02 AM 8/23/00 -0400, you wrote:
 >I tried to install cygwin with windows 2000. The installation procedure
 >has no problem but the application is not working properly:
 >When I click on the Cygwin icon , the only thing I get is a really brief
 >black window where I don't have the time to read the content.

This started happening to me on a Win98 system where CygWin had
been working perfectly before!! I found the problem by editing
the cygwin.bat to remove "@echo off" from the beginning and then
manually running it from a plain MSDOS command window to see what
broke.

The problem was that installing a windows program had put the line
   SET PATH=%PATH%;"C:PROGRAM FILES\SOMEPROGRAM"
into the autoexec.bat file.
Well, now the PATH variable has a blank in it and when cygwin.bat
tries to modify its value the SET command fails. The fix is to
put double-quotes around the entire string that on the right-hand
side of the equals where cygwin.bat modifies PATH, as in:
   SET PATH="c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;%PATH%"

Hope this helps.

Gregory Walker         gwalker@jump.net