* Re: Where to put profile files?
@ 2000-07-18 11:21 Randall Parker
From: Randall Parker @ 2000-07-18 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:16:49 -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

>I believe many of your questions about what bash does can be answered by
>looking at the bash man and info pages.  Its a good place to start for
>information concerning the configuration of bash.

Larry,
\v
I've looked at those pages. I also have the O'Reilly book Learning The Bash Shell. I've read the relevant
passages there too. I spent many hours pounding on these problems before posting here. I also have various
Unix and Linux books that I looked in too.

>As for the question of which "etc" directory will be referenced, that
>would be /etc.

Except when it doesn't work.

>  If you're not sure which Windows path corresponds to /,
>look at the output of the mount command.  It will tell you.

Well, since mount reports this for device and directory:
   j:\prg\cygwin       /
 that leads me to believe that
   j:\prg\cygwin\etc\profile
 ought to be what works for me.

However, I've put stuff in the profile file in that path and it didn't have any effect. Copied that file to be .bashrc
file in my HOME directory and that same alias statement then worked in .bashrc.

Can one not do an alias statement in profile?

* Re: Where to put profile files?
@ 2000-07-18 11:57 ` Matt Minnis
From: Matt Minnis @ 2000-07-18 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Here is how I have mine setup:

[Cygwin.bat]
@ECHO OFF
SET MAKE_MODE=UNIX
SET CYGWIN=tty
SET TERM=ansi
SET HOME=/usr/fred
set PWD=/
SET PATH=d:\cygwin\bin;d:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;%PATH%
bash

[.bashrc]
HOME=/usr/fred; export HOME
TERM=ansi; export TERM
LD=ld; export LD
BISONLIB=c:/cygnus/cygwin-b20/share/; export BISONLIB
/usr/local/games/fortune
cd /
cd source
cd emu
PS1='\w >'; export PS1HOME=/usr/fred; export HOME
alias quit=exit

Make sure the .bashrc is in the HOME directory.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Matt Minnis

At 11:13 AM 7/18/2000 -0700, Randall Parker wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:16:49 -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>
> >I believe many of your questions about what bash does can be answered by
> >looking at the bash man and info pages.  Its a good place to start for
> >information concerning the configuration of bash.
>
>Larry,
>I've looked at those pages. I also have the O'Reilly book Learning The
>Bash Shell. I've read the relevant
>passages there too. I spent many hours pounding on these problems before
>posting here. I also have various
>Unix and Linux books that I looked in too.
>
> >As for the question of which "etc" directory will be referenced, that
> >would be /etc.
>
>Except when it doesn't work.
>
> >  If you're not sure which Windows path corresponds to /,
> >look at the output of the mount command.  It will tell you.
>
>Well, since mount reports this for device and directory:
>    j:\prg\cygwin       /
>  that leads me to believe that
>    j:\prg\cygwin\etc\profile
>  ought to be what works for me.
>
>However, I've put stuff in the profile file in that path and it didn't
>have any effect. Copied that file to be .bashrc
>file in my HOME directory and that same alias statement then worked in
>.bashrc.
>
>Can one not do an alias statement in profile?
>

>--

Cthulhu for President. Why settle for a lesser evil?

Preferred Resources          (314) 567-7600 phone
701 Emerson rd.              (314) 993-6699 fax
Suite 475		       mminnis@prefres.com
St. Louis, MO
63141

* Re: Where to put profile files?
@ 2000-07-18 11:59 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-07-18 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall Parker; +Cc: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

At 02:13 PM 7/18/2000, Randall Parker wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:16:49 -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>
> >I believe many of your questions about what bash does can be answered by
> >looking at the bash man and info pages.  Its a good place to start for
> >information concerning the configuration of bash.
>
>Larry,
>I've looked at those pages. I also have the O'Reilly book Learning The Bash Shell. I've read the relevant
>passages there too. I spent many hours pounding on these problems before posting here. I also have various
>Unix and Linux books that I looked in too.

Well that's good.  It sounds like you've been looking in the right areas
for help.

> >As for the question of which "etc" directory will be referenced, that
> >would be /etc.
>
>Except when it doesn't work.

OK, maybe I missed something in your post but I didn't get the impression
that you knew where the "profile" file should be in order to have it work.
This is why I stated where it should be so there would be no confusion.
Perhaps the confusion was on my side.

> >  If you're not sure which Windows path corresponds to /,
> >look at the output of the mount command.  It will tell you.
>
>Well, since mount reports this for device and directory:
>    j:\prg\cygwin       /
>  that leads me to believe that
>    j:\prg\cygwin\etc\profile
>  ought to be what works for me.

I agree.

>However, I've put stuff in the profile file in that path and it didn't have any effect. Copied that file to be .bashrc
>file in my HOME directory and that same alias statement then worked in .bashrc.

Hm, that's interesting.  I have no problems with this.  Could be a
text/binary file thing but it doesn't sound like it (necessarily) if the
same thing works in .bashrc.  Perhaps the best thing to do is post your
cygcheck output.  Your problem is most likely a configuration issue but
its not obvious from the information you've given so far.

>Can one not do an alias statement in profile?

Never tried it but I can't imagine why that would be the case.

Larry

* Re: Where to put profile files?
@ 2000-07-23 23:48 Dave Arnold
From: Dave Arnold @ 2000-07-23 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall Parker, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
  Cc: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

Use some trial and error and put a copy of .bashrc in every directory you
have mounted.

/Dave

@ 2000-07-18 12:50 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-07-18 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall Parker; +Cc: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

At 03:02 PM 7/18/2000, Randall Parker wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:28:21 -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> >Hm, that's interesting.  I have no problems with this.  Could be a
> >text/binary file thing but it doesn't sound like it (necessarily) if the
> >same thing works in .bashrc.  Perhaps the best thing to do is post your
> >cygcheck output.  Your problem is most likely a configuration issue but
> >its not obvious from the information you've given so far.
>
>Here it is:
>
>bash-2.04$ cygcheck bash
>Found: j:\prg\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
>j:\prg\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
>   j:\prg\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>     C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
>       C:\WINNT\System32\ntdll.dll
>   C:\WINNT\System32\USER32.dll
>     C:\WINNT\System32\GDI32.dll
>       C:\WINNT\System32\ADVAPI32.dll
>         C:\WINNT\System32\RPCRT4.dll

Sorry, I see I should have been specific here.  Send the output of
cygcheck -s -v -r.

Larry

* Re: Where to put profile files?
@ 2000-07-18 12:32 Randall Parker
From: Randall Parker @ 2000-07-18 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:28:21 -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

>OK, maybe I missed something in your post but I didn't get the impression
>that you knew where the "profile" file should be in order to have it work.

Well, I decided I didn't know where it ought to go when it didn't seem to be working
properly.

>This is why I stated where it should be so there would be no confusion.
>Perhaps the confusion was on my side.

Well, I know for certain that I'm confused. But I can only speak for myself  in this
case <g>.

@ 2000-07-18 10:26 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-07-18 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall Parker; +Cc: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

At 01:02 PM 7/18/2000, Randall Parker wrote:
>Bob,
>
>Yes, verified what you and Mike said. Thanks.  If I set the HOME variable in the environment then it will read .bashrc. But it still won't read the .bash_profile or .bash_login files. However, if I add the --
>login on the line in cygwin.bat that executes bash then it reads the other files.
>
>However, I still have a mystery: I can't get it to use the profile file in the etc directory.
>
>So how does it know which directory is the etc directory? Neither of these is getting executed:
>    c:\etc\profile
>    j:\prg\cygwin\etc\profile
>
>Is there a different environment variable for where Bash's own home directory is located?

Randall,

I believe many of your questions about what bash does can be answered by
looking at the bash man and info pages.  Its a good place to start for
information concerning the configuration of bash.

As for the question of which "etc" directory will be referenced, that
would be /etc.  If you're not sure which Windows path corresponds to /,

@ 2000-07-18  9:59 Randall Parker
From: Randall Parker @ 2000-07-18  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob McGowan, Mike Little; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2000-07-18  9:34 ` Bob McGowan
From: Bob McGowan @ 2000-07-18  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Little; +Cc: 'Randall Parker', cygwin

@ 2000-07-18  4:52 ` Guido Erlinger
From: Guido Erlinger @ 2000-07-18  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 18 Jul 2000, at 11:23, Mike Little wrote:

> If you have installed via the latest GUI installer the
> /etc/profile file tries to be more sensible about it, and
> will in fact create a home directory for you if $HOME is not defined.

... I have a space in the Username "xxxxx yyyyy" (Win98 SE):

  ==> The GUI installer created a directory "/home/xxxxx".

  ==> But $HOME was set to "/home/xxxxx yyyyy"

In this case bash looks in "/" for the ".bash_login".

If I set HOME to "/home/xxxxx" in cygwin.bat. Than it works and bash
looks in "/home/xxxxx".

Guido

* RE: Where to put profile files?
@ 2000-07-18  3:23 Mike Little
From: Mike Little @ 2000-07-18  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
> When I start up Bash from NT it opens in
>    c:\winnt\profiles\randall\desktop
>
> So I tried putting .bash_login and .bash_profile in it with
> just one line:
>  alias dir=ls
>
> This doesn't work. I tried putting a profile file with the
> same contents in the etc directory under
> where I have cygwin installed:
>   j:\prg\cygwin\etc\profile
>
> That doesn't make any difference either.
>
> I tried creating an etc directory on the c drive and putting
> profile in it too:
>    c:\etc\profile
>
> That doesn't help either.
>
> So I'm running out of ideas. Anyone know where the Cygwin
> Bash goes looking for profile,
> .bash_login, .bash_profile, and .bashrc?

Try setting $HOME before you run bash.
(i.e. set it in Control Panel->System->Environment)
I set mine to %SystemRoot%\Profiles\%USERNAME%\home
Which evaluates to C:\WINNT\Profiles\mlit\home.

The last sub-directory I created (the rest by NT). I have my
.bashrc and .bash_profile files in there (unix line endings)

If you have installed via the latest GUI installer the
/etc/profile file tries to be more sensible about it, and
will in fact create a home directory for you if $HOME is not defined.

Hope that helps.

Mike

--
Mike Little