* Setup and UNC names
@ 2000-08-22 11:38 Gunnar Norling
From: Gunnar Norling @ 2000-08-22 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I would like to setup cygwin on a shared file server
without having to map it to a drive letter. When I run
the setup program, it complains, and states that "The
install directory must be absolute, with both a drive
letter and leading slash". Is this really necessary?

regards,
/norling

* Re: Setup and UNC names
@ 2000-08-22 11:40 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-08-22 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 08:37:27PM +0200, Gunnar Norling wrote:
>Hi,
>I would like to setup cygwin on a shared file server
>without having to map it to a drive letter. When I run
>the setup program, it complains, and states that "The
>install directory must be absolute, with both a drive
>letter and leading slash". Is this really necessary?

Apparently so.

As is frequently noted here, if you don't like this behavior,
patches are gratefully accepted.

cgf

* Re: Setup and UNC names
@ 2000-08-22 11:57 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-08-22 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: norlingg; +Cc: cygwin

It is for setup, because it sets up the initial mount table, which
really needs drive letters.  I'm pretty sure setup won't like UNC
paths; I don't know if you can use them in the mount table.

* Re: Setup and UNC names
@ 2000-08-22 16:04   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-08-22 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, norlingg; +Cc: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

At 02:57 PM 8/22/2000, DJ Delorie wrote:

>It is for setup, because it sets up the initial mount table, which
>really needs drive letters.  I'm pretty sure setup won't like UNC
>paths; I don't know if you can use them in the mount table.

Yes, you can use UNC paths in the mount table.

* Re: Setup and UNC names
@ 2000-08-22 12:52 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-08-22 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 09:13:32PM +0200, Gunnar Norling wrote:

> --- "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com>
>skrev: > At 02:57 PM 8/22/2000, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>
>> >It is for setup, because it sets up the initial
>> mount table, which
>> >really needs drive letters.  I'm pretty sure setup
>> won't like UNC
>> >paths; I don't know if you can use them in the
>> mount table.
>>

>> Yes, you can use UNC paths in the mount table.
>
>Yes :-) I tried it as well. I first installed Cygwin
>using a mapped disk (F:). Then I manually altered the
>mount table in the registry to the UNC name I want to
>use.

There is no reason to edit the registry by hand.  Cygwin's mount program
understands UNC paths.  I rely on this quite heavily.

cgf

* Re: Setup and UNC names
@ 2000-08-22 12:14 Gunnar Norling
From: Gunnar Norling @ 2000-08-22 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)