* bash: ./myscript: No such file or directory.  TMP variable is being unset
@ 2000-09-28  9:34 Guy T. Moore Jr.
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Guy T. Moore Jr. @ 2000-09-28  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: perakis, wabraham

1.)
Seems like I should be able to do the following simple shell scripting:

I'm in a Cygwin 1.1.4 window at my C: prompt.

I create a file, called myscript,  with the 1 line of:

     echo "doggie"

I cannot execute this successfully:

$ ./myscript
bash: ./myscript: No such file or directory.

I can execute myscript succesfully if I add at the top of the
myscript the line of:

    #!/bin/sh

and I can also execute myscript succesfully if I, preface the command with /bin/sh:

$ /bin/sh myscript

I'd rather get it to work the way it does on Solaris 5.7 in a bourne shell or csh
without using any work arounds.

This problem is preventing other simple things from working correctly.

2.)
I have the environment variable "TMP" defined as both a SYSTEM and USER environment
variable, but when I open up a Cygwin window it does not have this set.
It has all the other ones set, why did it unset this?

Guy Moore
OpenMarket

* Re: bash: ./myscript: No such file or directory.  TMP variable is being  unset
@ 2000-09-28 10:03 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-09-28 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy T. Moore Jr., cygwin; +Cc: perakis, wabraham

At 12:36 PM 9/28/2000, Guy T. Moore Jr. wrote:
>1.)
>Seems like I should be able to do the following simple shell scripting:
>

>I'm in a Cygwin 1.1.4 window at my C: prompt.
>
>I create a file, called myscript,  with the 1 line of:
>
>      echo "doggie"
>

>I cannot execute this successfully:
>
>$ ./myscript
>bash: ./myscript: No such file or directory.
>

>I can execute myscript succesfully if I add at the top of the
>myscript the line of:
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>

>and I can also execute myscript succesfully if I, preface the command with /bin/sh:
>
>$ /bin/sh myscript
>

>I'd rather get it to work the way it does on Solaris 5.7 in a bourne shell or csh
>without using any work arounds.
>
>This problem is preventing other simple things from working correctly.

Your scripts aren't "portable", although that's your choice!;-)  If you
are running on NT-based systems with NTFS file systems, you can set "ntsec"
in your CYGWIN environment variable and then use "chmod +x <file>" (please
read the documentation on how ntsec works though).  Alternatively, you can
use "ntea" on NT-based systems on either NTFS or FAT drives, as long as you
don't mind a large "EA DATA. SF" file in the root of all the FAT drives!;-)
If you use "ntea", you can use chmod as well.  Otherwise, you need to let
Cywgin know this is a script by adding the #!/bin/sh line or invoking it
with the shell.  Those are your current options.

>2.)
>I have the environment variable "TMP" defined as both a SYSTEM and USER environment
>variable, but when I open up a Cygwin window it does not have this set.
>It has all the other ones set, why did it unset this?

Never seen this so I can't help you there...

* Re: bash: ./myscript: No such file or directory.  TMP variable is being unset
@ 2000-09-28 10:04 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2000-09-28 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy T. Moore Jr., cygwin; +Cc: perakis, wabraham

Guy,

The fact that some shells fall back to treating files with execute
permissions and no '#!' line as being suitable for execution by the
standard system shell is really an artifact of a time long past. I humbly
submit that you ought to use #! lines in all your "executable" scripts,
even if they do operate in the way you intend on a bona fide Unix or Linux
system.

You may have noticed that the synthesized execute permissions under Cygwin
are keyed off of select file name extensions or the presence of '#!' as the
first two characters of a file. I'd say Cygwin is bending over backward to
create this degree of compatibility with Unix (-like) systems. There is
little alternative since Windows file systems are impoverished as to
explicit type information and access control attributes (as a Mac user and
programmer I see file name suffixes as a very poor substitute for file type
information).

Lastly, a quick (not thorough) check of the options and man page for BASH
didn't reveal a way to enable the behavior you desire. Perhaps you could
add such an option.

Randall Schulz
Teknowledge Corp.
Palo Alto, CA USA

@ 2000-09-28 10:16   ` Bob McGowan
From: Bob McGowan @ 2000-09-28 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
  Cc: Guy T. Moore Jr., cygwin, perakis, wabraham

Regarding the TMP variable, did you log out after setting it?  I have
found for my environment that I have to log out and back in before the
variable I set is seen correctly in Cygwin.  In my case, I suspect that
it is because I am using inetd as a service, which keeps the dll with my
login variables loaded?

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> At 12:36 PM 9/28/2000, Guy T. Moore Jr. wrote:
> >1.)
> >Seems like I should be able to do the following simple shell scripting:
> >

> >I'm in a Cygwin 1.1.4 window at my C: prompt.
> >
> >I create a file, called myscript,  with the 1 line of:
> >
> >      echo "doggie"
> >

> >I cannot execute this successfully:
> >
> >$ ./myscript
> >bash: ./myscript: No such file or directory.
> >

> >I can execute myscript succesfully if I add at the top of the
> >myscript the line of:
> >
> >     #!/bin/sh
> >

> >and I can also execute myscript succesfully if I, preface the command with /bin/sh:
> >
> >$ /bin/sh myscript
> >

> >I'd rather get it to work the way it does on Solaris 5.7 in a bourne shell or csh
> >without using any work arounds.
> >
> >This problem is preventing other simple things from working correctly.
>
> Your scripts aren't "portable", although that's your choice!;-)  If you
> are running on NT-based systems with NTFS file systems, you can set "ntsec"
> in your CYGWIN environment variable and then use "chmod +x <file>" (please
> read the documentation on how ntsec works though).  Alternatively, you can
> use "ntea" on NT-based systems on either NTFS or FAT drives, as long as you
> don't mind a large "EA DATA. SF" file in the root of all the FAT drives!;-)
> If you use "ntea", you can use chmod as well.  Otherwise, you need to let
> Cywgin know this is a script by adding the #!/bin/sh line or invoking it
> with the shell.  Those are your current options.
>
> >2.)
> >I have the environment variable "TMP" defined as both a SYSTEM and USER environment
> >variable, but when I open up a Cygwin window it does not have this set.
> >It has all the other ones set, why did it unset this?
>
> Never seen this so I can't help you there...
>
> Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
> 118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX
>
> --

Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer
VERITAS Software
rmcgowan@veritas.com

* Re: bash: ./myscript: No such file or directory.  TMP variableis being   unset
@ 2000-09-28 10:52     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-09-28 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob McGowan; +Cc: Guy T. Moore Jr., cygwin, perakis, wabraham

Good point.  In general I think you would need to close the window in which
bash is running and start it up again.  This will pull in the new environment
settings.  This works on NT-based systems anyway.  I avoid 9x!;-)

Larry

@ 2000-09-28 10:54   ` Guy T. Moore Jr.
From: Guy T. Moore Jr. @ 2000-09-28 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin, perakis, wabraham

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> At 12:36 PM 9/28/2000, Guy T. Moore Jr. wrote:
> >1.)
> >Seems like I should be able to do the following simple shell scripting:
> >

> >I'm in a Cygwin 1.1.4 window at my C: prompt.
> >
> >I create a file, called myscript,  with the 1 line of:
> >
> >      echo "doggie"
> >

> >I cannot execute this successfully:
> >
> >$ ./myscript
> >bash: ./myscript: No such file or directory.
> >

> >I can execute myscript succesfully if I add at the top of the
> >myscript the line of:
> >
> >     #!/bin/sh
> >

> >and I can also execute myscript succesfully if I, preface the command with /bin/sh:
> >
> >$ /bin/sh myscript
> >

> >I'd rather get it to work the way it does on Solaris 5.7 in a bourne shell or csh
> >without using any work arounds.
> >
> >This problem is preventing other simple things from working correctly.
>
> Your scripts aren't "portable", although that's your choice!;-)  If you
> are running on NT-based systems with NTFS file systems, you can set "ntsec"
> in your CYGWIN environment variable and then use "chmod +x <file>" (please
> read the documentation on how ntsec works though).  Alternatively, you can
> use "ntea" on NT-based systems on either NTFS or FAT drives, as long as you
> don't mind a large "EA DATA. SF" file in the root of all the FAT drives!;-)
> If you use "ntea", you can use chmod as well.  Otherwise, you need to let
> Cywgin know this is a script by adding the #!/bin/sh line or invoking it
> with the shell.  Those are your current options.

My C: drive where I am doing the test is an NTFS partition.
thus, I do have CYGWIN set properly:
CYGWIN="binmode ntea"   ( I am using ntea, cause I eventually will be trying to do this on
SAMBA-like partitions)
I have done `chmod 777 myscript`.

No luck

Can you get this to work on your PC without adding the #!/bin/sh line nor invoking it
 with the shell?

@ 2000-09-28 11:18     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-09-28 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy T. Moore Jr.; +Cc: cygwin, perakis, wabraham

At 01:56 PM 9/28/2000, Guy T. Moore Jr. wrote:

>"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:
>
> > >I'd rather get it to work the way it does on Solaris 5.7 in a bourne shell or csh
> > >without using any work arounds.
> > >
> > >This problem is preventing other simple things from working correctly.
> >
> > Your scripts aren't "portable", although that's your choice!;-)  If you
> > are running on NT-based systems with NTFS file systems, you can set "ntsec"
> > in your CYGWIN environment variable and then use "chmod +x <file>" (please
> > read the documentation on how ntsec works though).  Alternatively, you can
> > use "ntea" on NT-based systems on either NTFS or FAT drives, as long as you
> > don't mind a large "EA DATA. SF" file in the root of all the FAT drives!;-)
> > If you use "ntea", you can use chmod as well.  Otherwise, you need to let
> > Cywgin know this is a script by adding the #!/bin/sh line or invoking it
> > with the shell.  Those are your current options.
>

>My C: drive where I am doing the test is an NTFS partition.
>thus, I do have CYGWIN set properly:
>CYGWIN="binmode ntea"   ( I am using ntea, cause I eventually will be trying to do this on
>SAMBA-like partitions)
>I have done `chmod 777 myscript`.
>
>No luck
>
>Can you get this to work on your PC without adding the #!/bin/sh line nor invoking it
>  with the shell?

I've used it before and its worked fine.  Can't get more explicit at the
moment since I don't have access to the machine with Cygwin at this time.
I assume you set CYGWIN before starting any Cygwin process, right?

You may also want to take a look at the FAQ reference below.  It pretty
much says what I said, but with more details.

http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC37

* Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1.
@ 2000-09-28 13:57 ` Guy T. Moore Jr.
From: Guy T. Moore Jr. @ 2000-09-28 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: perakis, wabraham

Thanks for all the replies. None solved it.
Let me cut to the chase with the problem that more resembles my problem:

Using Cygwin 1.1.4.
I'm on C: drive, an NTFS partition.
CYGWIN is set to "binmode ntea"
I do not have McAfee anti-virus software running.
my machine has been rebooted and am in a fresh window.

This is my script called dog.sh and has been chmod to 777.

    #!/bin/sh.exe
    #
    echo "Hello"
    echo $0
    eval "exec perl -S $0 "            <------- problem line
        if $avariablenotdefined;
    print "GoodBye";

When I execute  this script, I get an error:

    $ c:/dog.sh
    Hello
    c:/dog.sh
    Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1.

Why is Cygwin exec'ing /bin/sh.exe when it should be exec'ing perl?
And why can't Cygwin exec /bin/sh.exe anyways?

If I remove the #!bin/sh.exe from the script, I then get a different error
cause Cygwin cannot determine that this file is executable:

$ c:/dog.sh
bash: c:/dog.sh: No such file or directory.

Hence my first problem, I emailed about.

Help!

"Guy T. Moore Jr." wrote:

> 1.)
> Seems like I should be able to do the following simple shell scripting:
>
> I'm in a Cygwin 1.1.4 window at my C: prompt.
>
> I create a file, called myscript,  with the 1 line of:
>
>      echo "doggie"
>
> I cannot execute this successfully:
>
> $ ./myscript
> bash: ./myscript: No such file or directory.
>
> I can execute myscript succesfully if I add at the top of the
> myscript the line of:
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>
> and I can also execute myscript succesfully if I, preface the command with /bin/sh:
>
> $ /bin/sh myscript
>
> I'd rather get it to work the way it does on Solaris 5.7 in a bourne shell or csh
> without using any work arounds.
>
> This problem is preventing other simple things from working correctly.
>
> 2.)
> I have the environment variable "TMP" defined as both a SYSTEM and USER environment
> variable, but when I open up a Cygwin window it does not have this set.
> It has all the other ones set, why did it unset this?
>
> Guy Moore
> OpenMarket

* Re: Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1.
@ 2000-09-28 14:15   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-28 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: David Starks-Browning

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 05:00:17PM -0400, Guy T. Moore Jr. wrote:
>Thanks for all the replies. None solved it.
>Let me cut to the chase with the problem that more resembles my problem:
>
>Using Cygwin 1.1.4.
>I'm on C: drive, an NTFS partition.
>CYGWIN is set to "binmode ntea"
>I do not have McAfee anti-virus software running.
>my machine has been rebooted and am in a fresh window.
>

>This is my script called dog.sh and has been chmod to 777.
>
>    #!/bin/sh.exe
>    #
>    echo "Hello"
>    echo $0
>    eval "exec perl -S $0 "            <------- problem line
>        if $avariablenotdefined;
>    print "GoodBye";
>

>When I execute  this script, I get an error:
>
>    $ c:/dog.sh
>    Hello
>    c:/dog.sh
>    Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1.
>
>Why is Cygwin exec'ing /bin/sh.exe when it should be exec'ing perl?
>And why can't Cygwin exec /bin/sh.exe anyways?

The "Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1" message is coming from
*perl*.  You're not running a cygwin version of perl so it doesn't know
how to find /bin/sh.exe.

This really should be a FAQ, I suppose, if it isn't already.

cgf

* Re: Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1.
@ 2000-09-29  2:51     ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2000-09-29  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thursday 28 Sep 00, Chris Faylor writes:
> The "Can't exec /bin/sh.exe at ./dog.sh line 1" message is coming from
> *perl*.  You're not running a cygwin version of perl so it doesn't know
> how to find /bin/sh.exe.
>
> This really should be a FAQ, I suppose, if it isn't already.

I'll try to come up with an entry "Why don't my scripts work?" to
cover various problems, including this one.

Cheers,
David