* ls command failing
@ 2001-01-06 19:23 Ron Joffe
From: Ron Joffe @ 2001-01-06 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a new install of cygwin on an NT4.0 Server

In NT I have a share mapped to the nt o: drive

I have created a mount for o:. The mount command outputs the following:

Device              Directory           Type         Flags
C:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
C:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
C:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode
o:                  /o                  user         textmode

I have created a small bash script, which contains the following:

#! c:\cygwin\bin\bash
ls /o/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/files
exit

The /o/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/files is the directory path.

The bash script is executed from a windows command prompt as

c:\> bash shell_file.sh

the return is:

ls: /o/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/files: No such file or directory

if I change the shell script to:

#! c:\cygwin\bin\bash
cd /o/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/files
ls
exit

It works just fine and outputs a directory listing.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Ron

* Re: ls command failing
@ 2001-01-07 19:37 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-07 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Joffe, cygwin

At 10:23 PM 1/6/2001, Ron Joffe wrote:
>I have a new install of cygwin on an NT4.0 Server
>
>In NT I have a share mapped to the nt o: drive
>
>I have created a mount for o:. The mount command outputs the following:
>
>Device              Directory           Type         Flags
>C:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
>C:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
>C:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode
>o:                  /o                  user         textmode
>
>I have created a small bash script, which contains the following:
>
>#! c:\cygwin\bin\bash
>ls /o/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/files
>exit
>
>The /o/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/files is the directory path.
>
>The bash script is executed from a windows command prompt as
>
>c:\> bash shell_file.sh
>
>the return is:
>
>ls: /o/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/files: No such file or directory
>
>if I change the shell script to:
>
>#! c:\cygwin\bin\bash
>cd /o/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/files
>ls
>exit
>
>It works just fine and outputs a directory listing.
>
>Any help would be great.

cygcheck -s -r -v might help.  Also, it would be good to know if /o
exists as a directory...

* Re: ls command failing
@ 2001-01-08  4:58   ` Ron Joffe
From: Ron Joffe @ 2001-01-08  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc), cygwin

Larry,

Thanks for the help, here is the problem:

Warning: c:\ntreskit\ls.exe hides C:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe

It looks like the ls I thought I was using was a different ls.

Thanks,

Ron

* Re: ls command failing
@ 2001-01-08  8:04     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-08  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Joffe, cygwin

At 07:57 AM 1/8/2001, Ron Joffe wrote:
>Larry,
>
>Thanks for the help, here is the problem:
>
>Warning: c:\ntreskit\ls.exe hides C:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
>
>It looks like the ls I thought I was using was a different ls.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ron

Yes, that's why when using Cygwin, its always recommended that you put
the Cygwin directories in your path first.  If you don't, you may pick
up other like named utilities which may not work like their Cygwin
counterparts.  As always, cygcheck -s -r -v will tell you of collisions
of such common tools.