* how to set CYGWIN variable for Emacs
@ 2001-01-12  8:11 Daniel Barclay
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2001-01-12  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

What's the recommended way to set the CYGWIN environment variable
when running in an NTEmacs shell buffer?

The CygWin FAQ gives instructions at
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC54:

  ...you need to add the following code to your ~/.emacs or ~/_emacs file
  in order to use bash. ...

        ;; This assumes that Cygwin is installed in C:\cygwin (the
        ;; default) and that C:\cygwin\bin is not already in your
        ;; Windows Path (it generally should not be).
        ;;
        (setq exec-path (cons "C:/cygwin/bin" exec-path))
        (setenv "PATH" (concat "C:\\cygwin\\bin;" (getenv "PATH")))
        ;;
        ;; NT-emacs assumes a Windows command shell, which you change
        ;; here.
        ;;
        (setq process-coding-system-alist '(("bash" . undecided-unix)))
        (setq w32-quote-process-args ?\")
        (setq shell-file-name "bash")
        (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
        (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)
        ;;
        ;; This removes unsightly ^M characters that would otherwise
        ;; appear in the output of java applications.
        ;;
        (add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
                  'comint-strip-ctrl-m)

However, this seems to run bash directly, bypassing the cygwin.bat
file.

Should Emacs run cygwin.bat directly?  Should the CYGWIN variable be
set in some place other than cygwin.bat (e.g., in Emacs or in the
NT environment) so that it gets set even if cygwin.bat isn't run?

Thanks,
Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay
Digital Focus

* Re: how to set CYGWIN variable for Emacs
@ 2001-01-12  8:26 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-12  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Barclay, cygwin

At 11:12 AM 1/12/2001, Daniel Barclay wrote:
>What's the recommended way to set the CYGWIN environment variable
>when running in an NTEmacs shell buffer?
>
>The CygWin FAQ gives instructions at
> http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC54:
>
>   ...you need to add the following code to your ~/.emacs or ~/_emacs file
>   in order to use bash. ...
>
>         ;; This assumes that Cygwin is installed in C:\cygwin (the
>         ;; default) and that C:\cygwin\bin is not already in your
>         ;; Windows Path (it generally should not be).
>         ;;
>         (setq exec-path (cons "C:/cygwin/bin" exec-path))
>         (setenv "PATH" (concat "C:\\cygwin\\bin;" (getenv "PATH")))
>         ;;
>         ;; NT-emacs assumes a Windows command shell, which you change
>         ;; here.
>         ;;
>         (setq process-coding-system-alist '(("bash" . undecided-unix)))
>         (setq w32-quote-process-args ?\")
>         (setq shell-file-name "bash")
>         (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
>         (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)
>         ;;
>         ;; This removes unsightly ^M characters that would otherwise
>         ;; appear in the output of java applications.
>         ;;
>         (add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
>                   'comint-strip-ctrl-m)
>

>However, this seems to run bash directly, bypassing the cygwin.bat
>file.
>
>Should Emacs run cygwin.bat directly?  Should the CYGWIN variable be
>set in some place other than cygwin.bat (e.g., in Emacs or in the
>NT environment) so that it gets set even if cygwin.bat isn't run?

Some of the settings in CYGWIN are read by cygwin1.dll only at DLL
initialization time.  As a result, it is generally recommended that you
set CYGWIN *before* any Cygwin-dependent application runs (i.e. so that
the DLL is not loaded and the changes take affect when the next app is
run).  This is really the only rule about how and where CYGWIN should be
set.  Feel free to set it in your control panel (on NT/W2K) or autoexec.bat
(on Win 9x's) if you want.

* Re: how to set CYGWIN variable for Emacs
@ 2001-01-12 11:43   ` Daniel Barclay
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2001-01-12 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> At 11:12 AM 1/12/2001, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> >What's the recommended way to set the CYGWIN environment variable
> >when running in an NTEmacs shell buffer?
> >
> >The CygWin FAQ gives instructions at
> > http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC54:

> >         (setq shell-file-name "bash")
> >         (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
> >         (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)
> >         ;;
> >However, this seems to run bash directly, bypassing the cygwin.bat
> >file.
> >
> >Should Emacs run cygwin.bat directly?  Should the CYGWIN variable be
> >set in some place other than cygwin.bat (e.g., in Emacs or in the
> >NT environment) so that it gets set even if cygwin.bat isn't run?
>
> Some of the settings in CYGWIN are read by cygwin1.dll only at DLL
> initialization time.  As a result, it is generally recommended that you
> set CYGWIN *before* any Cygwin-dependent application runs (i.e. so that
> the DLL is not loaded and the changes take affect when the next app is
> run).  This is really the only rule about how and where CYGWIN should be
> set.  Feel free to set it in your control panel (on NT/W2K) or autoexec.bat
> (on Win 9x's) if you want.

Actually, part of what I was asking was this:  Should Emacs should
call cygwin.bat (instead of calling bash directly)?

Daniel

--

@ 2001-01-12 12:01     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-12 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Barclay; +Cc: cygwin

At 02:44 PM 1/12/2001, Daniel Barclay wrote:
>"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:
> >
> > At 11:12 AM 1/12/2001, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> > >What's the recommended way to set the CYGWIN environment variable
> > >when running in an NTEmacs shell buffer?
> > >
> > >The CygWin FAQ gives instructions at
> > > http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC54:

> > >         (setq shell-file-name "bash")
> > >         (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
> > >         (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)
> > >         ;;
> > >However, this seems to run bash directly, bypassing the cygwin.bat
> > >file.
> > >
> > >Should Emacs run cygwin.bat directly?  Should the CYGWIN variable be
> > >set in some place other than cygwin.bat (e.g., in Emacs or in the
> > >NT environment) so that it gets set even if cygwin.bat isn't run?
> >
> > Some of the settings in CYGWIN are read by cygwin1.dll only at DLL
> > initialization time.  As a result, it is generally recommended that you
> > set CYGWIN *before* any Cygwin-dependent application runs (i.e. so that
> > the DLL is not loaded and the changes take affect when the next app is
> > run).  This is really the only rule about how and where CYGWIN should be
> > set.  Feel free to set it in your control panel (on NT/W2K) or autoexec.bat
> > (on Win 9x's) if you want.
>
>Actually, part of what I was asking was this:  Should Emacs should
>call cygwin.bat (instead of calling bash directly)?
>
>Daniel

It doesn't have to if you make sure that everything that cygwin.bat did
is done before you run Emacs and/or you know what you're doing.  YMMV.

* Re: how to set CYGWIN variable for Emacs
@ 2001-01-12 13:14       ` David A. Cobb
From: David A. Cobb @ 2001-01-12 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

In my uncommonly humble opinion, it's much neater to have (a copy of) CYGWIN.BAT
launch bash first with a command "emacs &"  If your ~/.emacs is silent on the
subject, the appropriate shell will be set from environment variable SHELL.  In
practice, I go a step further and do "exec emacs -f shell" then do all my shell
commands inside my favorite editor.

The big issue, of course, is which file-naming system the emacs uses; but I just
read that alle emacsen verstehen eunuchs.

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> At 02:44 PM 1/12/2001, Daniel Barclay wrote:

> > > Some of the settings in CYGWIN are read by cygwin1.dll only at DLL
> > > initialization time.  As a result, it is generally recommended that you
> > > set CYGWIN *before* any Cygwin-dependent application runs (i.e. so that
> > > the DLL is not loaded and the changes take affect when the next app is
> > > run).  This is really the only rule about how and where CYGWIN should be
> > > set.  Feel free to set it in your control panel (on NT/W2K) or autoexec.bat
> > > (on Win 9x's) if you want.
> >
> >Actually, part of what I was asking was this:  Should Emacs should
> >call cygwin.bat (instead of calling bash directly)?
> >
> >Daniel
>
> It doesn't have to if you make sure that everything that cygwin.bat did
> is done before you run Emacs and/or you know what you're doing.  YMMV.
>
> Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                     http://www.rfk.com
> 118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX
>
> --

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate.  Public Key at:
< http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit >
"Don't buy or use crappy software"
"By the grace of God I am a Christian man,
 by my actions a great sinner" -- The Way of a Pilgrim [R. M. French, tr.]

* Re: how to set CYGWIN variable for Emacs
@ 2001-01-12 13:49         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-12 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David A. Cobb, Cygwin List

I see nothing wrong with taking this approach.