* chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-02-12  8:43 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2001-02-12  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm running CygWin on Win2k with CYGWIN="binmode ntea ntsec tty".  I'm not sure
what version of CygWin I'm running.

When I try to chmod something, I get a permission denied error.  But I'm able to
change the permissions through Window's GUI.  What am I doing wrong?  Does chmod
not support NT security, yet (is it even possible for it to)?  Do I need to
upgrade?

Thanks much,
Noel

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. Incorporated, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.

* chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-03-29 11:55 Heimo Ponnath
From: Heimo Ponnath @ 2001-03-29 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

i am new in this list and in CygWin. I work with Windows NT 4.0 and the
newsest version of CygWin (1.1.18) and - yes, I searched the list-archives
and read the FAQs. But there are still some facts left which I dont understand.

One of the problems is, that chmod does not work. In the list and in the
FAQ there is an Environment variable mentioned, which should be set: ntsec.
Could you please tell me, where and how and to which value I can/should set
this ntsec?

I have some more questions - but I hope, you can help me with this first one.

Heimo Ponnath

* Re: chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-03-30  7:05 Heimo Ponnath
From: Heimo Ponnath @ 2001-03-30  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you Larry,

At 01:50 30.03.01, you wrote:
>Missed one.  Try the user's guide.
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

I did not miss this: But I dont know WHERE and HOW to set these environment
variables. I work with NTFS-Partitions and with FAT-Partintions. Is it
better to select >>ntea<< (how big will the mentioned additional files be
and will they be built once or will they become bigger every time I use
some features?) or is it better to to select >>ntsec<< (which will not work
with the FAT-partitions). What happens, when I use both?
Also, there is a file >>ntsec.sgml<< mentioned. Where can I find this file?

Heimo Ponnath