* chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-02-12  8:43 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2001-02-12  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm running CygWin on Win2k with CYGWIN="binmode ntea ntsec tty".  I'm not sure
what version of CygWin I'm running.

When I try to chmod something, I get a permission denied error.  But I'm able to
change the permissions through Window's GUI.  What am I doing wrong?  Does chmod
not support NT security, yet (is it even possible for it to)?  Do I need to
upgrade?

Thanks much,
Noel

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. Incorporated, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.

* Re: chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-02-12  8:59 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-02-12  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel L Yap, cygwin

At 11:30 AM 2/12/2001, Noel L Yap wrote:
>I'm running CygWin on Win2k with CYGWIN="binmode ntea ntsec tty".  I'm not sure
>what version of CygWin I'm running.
>
>When I try to chmod something, I get a permission denied error.  But I'm able to
>change the permissions through Window's GUI.  What am I doing wrong?  Does chmod
>not support NT security, yet (is it even possible for it to)?  Do I need to
>upgrade?
>
>Thanks much,
>Noel

You'll find allot of good information in the user documentation.  It describes
what you need to do to make ntsec work for you on NTFS partitions.  Check it
out and see if that helps you solve your problems.

http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html

* Re: chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-02-13  2:14 ` Malcolm Boekhoff
From: Malcolm Boekhoff @ 2001-02-13  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin News Group

Subject: chmod and ntsec

If you can't be bothered to read the 9 page FAQ on ntsec, try this:

bash> cp -p /etc/passwd /etc/passwd0 && mkpasswd -l -d >/etc/passwd
bash> cp -p /etc/group  /etc/group0  && mkgroup  -l -d >/etc/group

The "-l" switch examines your NT musrmgr.exe database.
The "-d" switch must examine the user database on your domain.

I wasted a load of time trying to get ntsec working, too, so now I just use "ntea" in the CYGWIN variable. Apparently this is not a
good idea for FAT disks, but all mine are NTFS so I don't care.

> I'm running CygWin on Win2k with CYGWIN="binmode ntea ntsec tty".  I'm not sure
> what version of CygWin I'm running.
>
> When I try to chmod something, I get a permission denied error.  But I'm able to
> change the permissions through Window's GUI.  What am I doing wrong?  Does chmod
> not support NT security, yet (is it even possible for it to)?  Do I need to
> upgrade?

* Re: chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-02-13  6:11   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-13  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Malcolm Boekhoff; +Cc: Cygwin News Group

Malcolm Boekhoff wrote:

> I wasted a load of time trying to get ntsec working, too, so now I just use "ntea" in the CYGWIN variable. Apparently this is not a
> good idea for FAT disks, but all mine are NTFS so I don't care.

Just remember that all diskettes are FAT and that you can't create a
NTFS diskette.  So, if you use your Cygwin utilities to access the
diskette then you will get an attributes file on the diskette.

Earnie.

* Re: chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-02-13  7:27     ` Malcolm Boekhoff
From: Malcolm Boekhoff @ 2001-02-13  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin News Group

So is the definitive, expert answer to use "ntsec" or "ntsec ntea"?

> > I wasted a load of time trying to get ntsec working, too, so now I just use "ntea" in the CYGWIN variable. Apparently this is
not a
> > good idea for FAT disks, but all mine are NTFS so I don't care.
> >

> Just remember that all diskettes are FAT and that you can't create a
> NTFS diskette.  So, if you use your Cygwin utilities to access the
> diskette then you will get an attributes file on the diskette.
>
> Earnie.

* Re: chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-02-13  7:42       ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-13  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Malcolm Boekhoff; +Cc: Cygwin News Group

Malcolm Boekhoff wrote:

> So is the definitive, expert answer to use "ntsec" or "ntsec ntea"?

The ntsec flag overrides the ntea flag IIRC.  There is no reason to use
the ntea flag if you use the ntsec flag.  The ntea flag, IMO, should be
removed in the next release as it can cause more consequence than good.

Earnie.

* Re: chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-02-13  9:26         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-02-13  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Malcolm Boekhoff

At 10:42 AM 2/13/2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>Malcolm Boekhoff wrote:
> >
> > So is the definitive, expert answer to use "ntsec" or "ntsec ntea"?
> >

>The ntsec flag overrides the ntea flag IIRC.  There is no reason to use
>the ntea flag if you use the ntsec flag.  The ntea flag, IMO, should be
>removed in the next release as it can cause more consequence than good.

I guess the big question here is whether anyone finds the use of ntea useful
for FAT partitions.  This is the one advantage that ntea has over ntsec.  If
the answer here is that ntea is considered useful for FAT despite the ugly,
quickly growing file it produces, then I'd say keep it.  Just my $.02.

* Re: chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-03-30 15:36   ` Heimo Ponnath
From: Heimo Ponnath @ 2001-03-30 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Thank you Corinna,

this will help me

Heimo

At 18:01 30.03.01, you wrote:
>or in the startup batch file
>
>         set CYGWIN=binmode notty ntsec

* Re: chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-03-30  9:02 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-03-30  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 05:05:02PM +0100, Heimo Ponnath wrote:
> Thank you Larry,
>
> At 01:50 30.03.01, you wrote:
> >Missed one.  Try the user's guide.
> >
> > http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html
>
> I did not miss this: But I dont know WHERE and HOW to set these environment
> variables. I work with NTFS-Partitions and with FAT-Partintions. Is it

Where: Either in the global environment settings

	"Start" -> "Settings" -> "Control Panel" -> "System" -> ...

or in the startup batch file

	set CYGWIN=binmode notty ntsec

> better to select >>ntea<< (how big will the mentioned additional files be
> and will they be built once or will they become bigger every time I use
> some features?) or is it better to to select >>ntsec<< (which will not work
> with the FAT-partitions). What happens, when I use both?

You will use ntea on FAT and ntsec on NTFS then. It's a personal
choice. ntea is fake, ntsec needs some understanding of NT security.

> Also, there is a file >>ntsec.sgml<< mentioned. Where can I find this file?

In the online user's guide:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-03-30  7:05 Heimo Ponnath
From: Heimo Ponnath @ 2001-03-30  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you Larry,

At 01:50 30.03.01, you wrote:
>Missed one.  Try the user's guide.
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

I did not miss this: But I dont know WHERE and HOW to set these environment
variables. I work with NTFS-Partitions and with FAT-Partintions. Is it
better to select >>ntea<< (how big will the mentioned additional files be
and will they be built once or will they become bigger every time I use
some features?) or is it better to to select >>ntsec<< (which will not work
with the FAT-partitions). What happens, when I use both?
Also, there is a file >>ntsec.sgml<< mentioned. Where can I find this file?

Heimo Ponnath

>At 09:03 AM 3/29/2001, Heimo Ponnath wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >i am new in this list and in CygWin. I work with Windows NT 4.0 and the
> newsest version of CygWin (1.1.18) and - yes, I searched the
> list-archives and read the FAQs. But there are still some facts left
> which I dont understand.
> >
> >One of the problems is, that chmod does not work. In the list and in the
> FAQ there is an Environment variable mentioned, which should be set: ntsec.
> >Could you please tell me, where and how and to which value I can/should
> set this ntsec?
> >
> >I have some more questions - but I hope, you can help me with this first
> one.

* Re: chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-03-29 18:11 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-03-29 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heimo Ponnath, cygwin

@ 2001-03-29 17:53 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-03-29 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 03:03:17PM +0100, Heimo Ponnath wrote:
>i am new in this list and in CygWin. I work with Windows NT 4.0 and the
>newsest version of CygWin (1.1.18) and - yes, I searched the list-archives
>and read the FAQs. But there are still some facts left which I dont understand.
>
>One of the problems is, that chmod does not work. In the list and in the
>FAQ there is an Environment variable mentioned, which should be set: ntsec.
>Could you please tell me, where and how and to which value I can/should set
>this ntsec?
>
>I have some more questions - but I hope, you can help me with this first one.

You should check out the Cygwin documentation:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

cgf

* chmod and ntsec
@ 2001-03-29 11:55 Heimo Ponnath