* From Brent Jensen
@ 2001-07-23  8:45 Jensen, Brent
From: Jensen, Brent @ 2001-07-23  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Recently I got a new pc, an Athlon with 1.5 Gb sdram memory.  The operating
system is Windows 2000.  Upon trying to run a g77 (cygwin) fortran program
requiring about 1 Gb physical memory, I got the following error, highlighted
in red:

administrator@PERSEPHONE /cygdrive/c/awork1/fortran_mathcad/gd
$ g77 blast2.f

administrator@PERSEPHONE /cygdrive/c/awork1/fortran_mathcad/gd
$ ./a.exe
c:\awork1\fortran_mathcad\gd\a.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's
heap
 (0x1A020000) in child, cygheap, Win32 error 487

administrator@PERSEPHONE /cygdrive/c/awork1/fortran_mathcad/gd
$

Do you know anything about this?  I ran some quick tests, by increasing an
array size to see where the error occured. The test fortran program
contained only a single array, a1.  When the array size was
a1(66,1000,1000), the simple program compiled and ran.  When the a1 array
size was increased to a1(67,1000,1000), the program would not compile,
giving insufficient memory as the problem.  When a1 was set to
a1(68,1000,1000) and above, I got the error highlighted in red.  a1 is a
double precision array which I think requires 8 bytes per array element.
This seemed to be consistent with the task manager memory usage performance
window readings, that I had open and noted during fortran execution.
Currently I am thinking I can possibly control heap space in C or C++, and
may be able to execute the fortran program inside C or C++.  I am in the
learning stages of C and C++ and currently looking into this possibility.
Thanks for any light you might shed on this.

* Re: From Brent Jensen
@ 2001-07-23  9:38 ` Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2001-07-23  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jensen, Brent; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Try using google to search the cygwin mailing list archives for

windows error 487 site:cygwin.com

I saw two different people with this same problem in the past month or
so- I don't remember the exact solution (I think it was "check the
source code") but you should get some hits if you search for it.

HTH,
Peter

"Jensen, Brent" wrote:

> Recently I got a new pc, an Athlon with 1.5 Gb sdram memory.  The operating
> system is Windows 2000.  Upon trying to run a g77 (cygwin) fortran program
> requiring about 1 Gb physical memory, I got the following error, highlighted
> in red:
>
> administrator@PERSEPHONE /cygdrive/c/awork1/fortran_mathcad/gd
> $ g77 blast2.f
>
> administrator@PERSEPHONE /cygdrive/c/awork1/fortran_mathcad/gd
> $ ./a.exe
> c:\awork1\fortran_mathcad\gd\a.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's
> heap
>  (0x1A020000) in child, cygheap, Win32 error 487
>
> administrator@PERSEPHONE /cygdrive/c/awork1/fortran_mathcad/gd
> $
>
> Do you know anything about this?  I ran some quick tests, by increasing an
> array size to see where the error occured. The test fortran program
> contained only a single array, a1.  When the array size was
> a1(66,1000,1000), the simple program compiled and ran.  When the a1 array
> size was increased to a1(67,1000,1000), the program would not compile,
> giving insufficient memory as the problem.  When a1 was set to
> a1(68,1000,1000) and above, I got the error highlighted in red.  a1 is a
> double precision array which I think requires 8 bytes per array element.
> This seemed to be consistent with the task manager memory usage performance
> window readings, that I had open and noted during fortran execution.
> Currently I am thinking I can possibly control heap space in C or C++, and
> may be able to execute the fortran program inside C or C++.  I am in the
> learning stages of C and C++ and currently looking into this possibility.
> Thanks for any light you might shed on this.
>
> --

* Re: From Brent Jensen
@ 2001-07-23  9:44 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-07-23  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jensen, Brent, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 11:44 AM 7/23/2001, Jensen, Brent wrote:
>Recently I got a new pc, an Athlon with 1.5 Gb sdram memory.  The operating
>system is Windows 2000.  Upon trying to run a g77 (cygwin) fortran program
>requiring about 1 Gb physical memory, I got the following error, highlighted
>in red:
>
>administrator@PERSEPHONE /cygdrive/c/awork1/fortran_mathcad/gd
>$ g77 blast2.f
>
>administrator@PERSEPHONE /cygdrive/c/awork1/fortran_mathcad/gd
>$ ./a.exe
>c:\awork1\fortran_mathcad\gd\a.exe: *** Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's
>heap
>  (0x1A020000) in child, cygheap, Win32 error 487
>
>administrator@PERSEPHONE /cygdrive/c/awork1/fortran_mathcad/gd
>$
>

>Do you know anything about this?  I ran some quick tests, by increasing an
>array size to see where the error occured. The test fortran program
>contained only a single array, a1.  When the array size was
>a1(66,1000,1000), the simple program compiled and ran.  When the a1 array
>size was increased to a1(67,1000,1000), the program would not compile,
>giving insufficient memory as the problem.  When a1 was set to
>a1(68,1000,1000) and above, I got the error highlighted in red.  a1 is a
>double precision array which I think requires 8 bytes per array element.
>This seemed to be consistent with the task manager memory usage performance
>window readings, that I had open and noted during fortran execution.
>Currently I am thinking I can possibly control heap space in C or C++, and
>may be able to execute the fortran program inside C or C++.  I am in the
>learning stages of C and C++ and currently looking into this possibility.
>Thanks for any light you might shed on this.

Here's the answer to your issue from the mail archives:

* From Brent Jensen
@ 2001-08-01  9:15 Jensen, Brent
From: Jensen, Brent @ 2001-08-01  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I have a large (memory intensive) fortran program that requires knowing the
physical memory resident on the pc it runs on.  I prefer to run the fortran
on cygwin's g77.  Is there an easy way to obtain the physical memory
resident on any given pc from inside g77?  I have thought of using a script
to run the fortran and write physical memory to a file which the fortran can
then read.  However, I don't know how to write total physical memory to a
file in windows 2000 or NT.  I have also thought about converting the
fortran to c, using f2c, distributed in linux.   Others have told me there
are interfaces that can obtain physical memory size in C.  Am I on the right
track or is the some API connection in g77 that can handle this.  Thanks to
anyone that may know more about this.