* RE: about cygwin setup
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Khoa Do
From: Khoa Do @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
  Cc: 'Ralf.Habacker@freenet.de',
	'robert.collins@itdomain.com.au'

>Use the prev/curr/exp radio buttons at the top of the setup.exe screen to
toggle all currently installed
>packages between prev/curr/exp versions. As for getting the source for
everything, I've added that to the
>wishlist. Finally, installing "everything" does not make sense - see the
list archives for the last couple of >days.

>Rob

	Thanks for the suggestions and I did finally check the archives.  I
think I agree with Ralf Habacker that there should be preset configurations
that we can just click to install on a "new" machine.  I would wish for some
preset configurations like:

SELECT ONE OR MORE CONFIGURATIONS AND ONLY ONE SNAPSHOT:
user
	previous
	current
	experimental
developer
	previous
	current
	experimental
administrator
	previous
	current
	experimental

	Just a suggestion that I think would make a user's life a little
easier.  What do you think?

Great. Thats means there could be a new category named "configurations" or
so
containing all the dummy tarballs with related dependencies.

* Re: about cygwin setup
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khoa Do, cygwin; +Cc: Ralf.Habacker

===
>Rob

Thanks for the suggestions and I did finally check the archives.  I
think I agree with Ralf Habacker that there should be preset
configurations
that we can just click to install on a "new" machine.  I would wish for
some
preset configurations like:

SELECT ONE OR MORE CONFIGURATIONS AND ONLY ONE SNAPSHOT:
user
previous
current
experimental
developer
previous
current
experimental
administrator
previous
current
experimental

Just a suggestion that I think would make a user's life a little
easier.  What do you think?

====
The presets cannot go across curr/prev/exp lines, only within one.

Rob

* Re: about cygwin setup
@ 2001-11-11  8:26   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, Khoa Do, cygwin; +Cc: Ralf.Habacker

At 12:26 AM 11/16/2001, Robert Collins wrote:

>===
> >Rob
>
>Thanks for the suggestions and I did finally check the archives.  I
>think I agree with Ralf Habacker that there should be preset
>configurations
>that we can just click to install on a "new" machine.  I would wish for
>some
>preset configurations like:
>
>SELECT ONE OR MORE CONFIGURATIONS AND ONLY ONE SNAPSHOT:
>user
>previous
>current
>experimental
>developer
>previous
>current
>experimental
>administrator
>previous
>current
>experimental
>
>Just a suggestion that I think would make a user's life a little
>easier.  What do you think?
>

>====
>The presets cannot go across curr/prev/exp lines, only within one.

So "user", "developer", and "administrator" are the configurations and
"previous", "current", and "experimental" are the snapshots?  Or is it
the reverse?  I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if there is any
overlap in the packages within whatever these categories are.  If there
is and one can select more than 1 category, one can theoretically
de-select a category too.  If this is allowed and there is overlap, then
safeguards need to be added make sure packages that overlap aren't
removed if other categories they're in are still selected.  I'm assuming
this has been considered and will be handled.  However, this wasn't
obviously the case so I wanted to raise the issue.

* about cygwin setup
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Khoa Do
From: Khoa Do @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'robert.collins@itdomain.com.au'; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

	I have a comment about setup.exe.  How come you don't have an option
to download everything including the source for all the packages that is
being offered?  I just want the latest version of everything including the
source.  When I first started setup.exe, I thought that I would be able to
switch between stable versions, to current versions to experimental versions
of every package that I can select with one click.  Instead, I had to click
30-50 different packages, click 3-5 times on each package to determine if I
want to skip, ver.1, or ver. 1.1, and don't even mention that if I want the
source that I have to click that too - it's becoming too much for a
Microsoft mouse jock!  I appreciate all the choices and I do understand that
you have to check dependencies to make sure that everything works together.
There is just sometimes that my lazy ass don't want to have to click much.
Heck, I want an automatic feed if I can help it.  Where is the source to
setup.exe so that I can see what it takes to change it?  Will it be hard?
Please reply to me since I don't subscribe to the mailing list.

From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khoa Do; +Cc: cygwin

From: Khoa Do @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

	I would suggest something like what you said with the user being
able to pick up more than one configurations with only one snapshot per
configuration.  If that was too difficult, then maybe just a preset set of
configurations with the user only able to pick one.  If the user wanted to
go down to specifics, then there would be that option.  I believe the RedHat
Linux installation setup has something similar, configuration-wise.