* Setup.exe Revisited
@ 2001-11-11 11:40 Daniel Meier
From: Daniel Meier @ 2001-11-11 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've seen a couple of complaints but no real response to the question: setup.exe used to be (like, last week) real easy to run and install most things needed, but now it doesn't.

I mean after installing with setup.exe I can't even run vi! None of the cygwin directories are in the path. Even if I add them to the path it still can't find vi.

I note that in the new install vim is not default. I assume there is a difference between vi and 'new improved vi' - vim. The most important difference being vi IS part of the default environment?

It used to take a brainless cluck to install and use cygwin. Now you've raised the entry requirement - must have a functional brain as well as a few clues.

Is there a bug in the setup.exe (not including all 'basic' features). Or does it take a little more knowledge to install cygwin these days, and where do I get the knowledge? Or is there a recidivist option to use the previous setup.exe?

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3126 bytes --]

* Setup.exe Revisited
@ 2001-11-11 11:45 ` Markus Hoenicka
From: Markus Hoenicka @ 2001-11-11 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is this the "new-bash-no-longer-autoexports-path" issue? just
guessing.

regards
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka, PhD
UT Houston Medical School

* Re: Setup.exe Revisited
@ 2001-11-11 13:12 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-11-11 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Meier, cygwin

At 12:23 PM 11/19/2001, Daniel Meier wrote:
>I've seen a couple of complaints but no real response to the question: setup.exe used to be (like, last week) real easy to run and install most things needed, but now it doesn't.
>
>I mean after installing with setup.exe I can't even run vi! None of the cygwin directories are in the path. Even if I add them to the path it still can't find vi.

Well, where is 'vi' on your system?  On my system, it's in /usr/bin/vi...

>I note that in the new install vim is not default. I assume there is a difference between vi and 'new improved vi' - vim. The most important difference being vi IS part of the default environment?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'vim' is "not default".  I'm also
not sure why you assume 'vi' and 'vim' are different.  You really shouldn't
do allot of assuming.  It doesn't help resolve any problems generally.

vi and vim are the same thing.

>It used to take a brainless cluck to install and use cygwin. Now you've raised the entry requirement - must have a functional brain as well as a few clues.

Perhaps you'll need to debug what's causing the problem on your end.
This is certainly not typical behavior and the first thing to rule out
is a local configuration issue.  If you can provide details that indicate
that the problem is within setup itself, that would be a big help (a
patch would be even better! ;-) )

Good luck,

* Re: Setup.exe Revisited
@ 2001-11-11 22:12   ` Daniel Meier
From: Daniel Meier @ 2001-11-11 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)

Toggling the setup.exe 'browser' to 'full' mode, then scrolling through the
list of packages reveals that the "Editors vim: Vi IMproved - enhanced vi
editor" package's New column is set to 'skip.' By which I make the
assumption that this is an optional package for users who like the extended
features of vim over the standard features of vi. Implied in the above
statement is that there is a vi/view/ex utility that is part of the shell
built-in.
It just seems that the new setup.exe 'assumes' a lite installation (e.g. gcc
is set to 'skip', nearly everything is set to 'skip').

Note that I did attempt one installation where I selected all packages to
install (cycled from skip to the version number) and still vi would not
work. While I cannot absolutely rule out changes to my system, I did perform
an install on a system where I had successfully installed two weeks ago.

OK I applied a 'little' brain to it, here's my situation:
Installed using setup.exe, as noted above vim package was set to skip.
typing "vi test" results in: bash: vi: command not found.
Using find, cannot find vi or any derivative (vim, vi.exe, vim.exe, etc) any
where. ls'd /usr/bin, no vi.

Ran setup again. Specifically selected vim package for install.
Type "vi test" results in a dialog box: "vim.exe - Entry Point Not Found:
The procedure entry point bind_textdomain_codeset could not be located in
the dynamic link library cygintl.dll."

Find on cygintl.dll found /bin/cygintl.dll and /usr/bin/cygintl.dll.

Just to make sure I copied cygintl.dll into the system32 directory and tried
the above test again. Same results.
> At 12:23 PM 11/19/2001, Daniel Meier wrote:
> >I've seen a couple of complaints but no real response to the question:
setup.exe used to be (like, last week) real easy to run and install most
things needed, but now it doesn't.

> >I mean after installing with setup.exe I can't even run vi! None of the
cygwin directories are in the path. Even if I add them to the path it still
can't find vi.

> Well, where is 'vi' on your system?  On my system, it's in /usr/bin/vi...
>

> >I note that in the new install vim is not default. I assume there is a
difference between vi and 'new improved vi' - vim. The most important
difference being vi IS part of the default environment?

> I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'vim' is "not default".  I'm also
> not sure why you assume 'vi' and 'vim' are different.  You really
shouldn't
> do allot of assuming.  It doesn't help resolve any problems generally.
>
> vi and vim are the same thing.
>

> >It used to take a brainless cluck to install and use cygwin. Now you've
raised the entry requirement - must have a functional brain as well as a few
clues.

> Perhaps you'll need to debug what's causing the problem on your end.
> This is certainly not typical behavior and the first thing to rule out
> is a local configuration issue.  If you can provide details that indicate
> that the problem is within setup itself, that would be a big help (a
> patch would be even better! ;-) )
>
> Good luck,
>

> Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
> 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX
>

> --

* Re: Setup.exe Revisited
@ 2001-11-12  1:53     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-11-12  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Meier, cygwin

At 02:32 PM 11/19/2001, Daniel Meier wrote:
>Toggling the setup.exe 'browser' to 'full' mode, then scrolling through the
>list of packages reveals that the "Editors vim: Vi IMproved - enhanced vi
>editor" package's New column is set to 'skip.' By which I make the
>assumption that this is an optional package for users who like the extended
>features of vim over the standard features of vi. Implied in the above
>statement is that there is a vi/view/ex utility that is part of the shell
>built-in.
>It just seems that the new setup.exe 'assumes' a lite installation (e.g. gcc
>is set to 'skip', nearly everything is set to 'skip').

OK, I understand where you got the notion that 'vim' is optional.  Most
packages default to "Skip" if they haven't been installed (by setup)
before.  It implies nothing about whether this package is an alternative
for another or not (generally not the case anyway).  The moral to the
story is, if you want 'vim', install it.  If you want 'vi', install
'vim'.  If you don't want either, don't install 'vim'.  Same goes for
most of the other packages.

>Note that I did attempt one installation where I selected all packages to
>install (cycled from skip to the version number) and still vi would not
>work. While I cannot absolutely rule out changes to my system, I did perform
>an install on a system where I had successfully installed two weeks ago.
>
>OK I applied a 'little' brain to it, here's my situation:
>Installed using setup.exe, as noted above vim package was set to skip.
>typing "vi test" results in: bash: vi: command not found.
>Using find, cannot find vi or any derivative (vim, vi.exe, vim.exe, etc) any
>where. ls'd /usr/bin, no vi.

Makes sense.

>Ran setup again. Specifically selected vim package for install.
>Type "vi test" results in a dialog box: "vim.exe - Entry Point Not Found:
>The procedure entry point bind_textdomain_codeset could not be located in
>the dynamic link library cygintl.dll."
>
>Find on cygintl.dll found /bin/cygintl.dll and /usr/bin/cygintl.dll.
>
>Just to make sure I copied cygintl.dll into the system32 directory and tried
>the above test again. Same results.

Sounds like a path problem.  Check that out... and remove cygintl.dll
from system32.

* Re: Setup.exe Revisited
@ 2001-11-12  6:24     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-12  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Meier, cygwin, Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)

===
> It just seems that the new setup.exe 'assumes' a lite installation
(e.g. gcc
> is set to 'skip', nearly everything is set to 'skip').

Yes, because there have been many many many requests for less by
default. We haven't found the happy middle ground yet apparently.

Rob

* Re: Setup.exe Revisited
@ 2001-11-13  8:57       ` Daniel Meier
From: Daniel Meier @ 2001-11-13  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)

First items in path are /bin /usr/bin. There are also windows directories in
the path (with SPACES).
Reran setup.exe and picked the vim package.
There is now a vim.exe in path (at /usr/bin).
Still get the "The procedure entry point bind_textdomain_codeset could not
be located in the dynamic link library cygintl.dll" message.

> >Ran setup again. Specifically selected vim package for install.
> >Type "vi test" results in a dialog box: "vim.exe - Entry Point Not Found:
> >The procedure entry point bind_textdomain_codeset could not be located in
> >the dynamic link library cygintl.dll."
> >
> >Find on cygintl.dll found /bin/cygintl.dll and /usr/bin/cygintl.dll.
> >
> >Just to make sure I copied cygintl.dll into the system32 directory and
tried
> >the above test again. Same results.
>

> Sounds like a path problem.  Check that out... and remove cygintl.dll
> from system32.

- content trunctated -

* Re: Setup.exe Revisited
@ 2001-11-13  9:29         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-11-13  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Meier, cygwin

And where is cygintl.dll now?  If you can answer this question then you
should understand what you need to do now to fix this...

Larry

At 06:52 PM 11/20/2001, Daniel Meier wrote:
>First items in path are /bin /usr/bin. There are also windows directories in
>the path (with SPACES).
>Reran setup.exe and picked the vim package.
>There is now a vim.exe in path (at /usr/bin).
>Still get the "The procedure entry point bind_textdomain_codeset could not
>be located in the dynamic link library cygintl.dll" message.

* Re: Setup.exe Revisited
@ 2001-11-13 10:10           ` Daniel Meier
From: Daniel Meier @ 2001-11-13 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)

Wrong! O' Great One.

cygintl.dll is also in /usr/bin.
I even truncated the path to /usr/bin to eliminate the Windows paths and
still all attempts result in the entry point not found.

Thanks for all of your help so far.
> And where is cygintl.dll now?  If you can answer this question then you
> should understand what you need to do now to fix this...
>
> Larry
>
> At 06:52 PM 11/20/2001, Daniel Meier wrote:
> >First items in path are /bin /usr/bin. There are also windows directories
in
> >the path (with SPACES).
> >Reran setup.exe and picked the vim package.
> >There is now a vim.exe in path (at /usr/bin).
> >Still get the "The procedure entry point bind_textdomain_codeset could
not
> >be located in the dynamic link library cygintl.dll" message.

* Re: Setup.exe Revisited
@ 2001-11-13 10:15           ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-13 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: Daniel Meier, cygwin

Actually, this sounds like you need to update to gettext-0.10.38-2 (and
currently are using gettext-0.10.35p1-2).

I'm not sure why these problems are cropping up right now; I didn't
change anything important AFAIRC when I build 38, compared to the 35p1
build.  I'll try to take another look at the gettext package in the next
week or so.

--Chuck
gettext maintainer

@ 2001-11-13 10:25             ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-11-13 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Meier, cygwin

I'm sorry.  I just realized that I haven't been looking closely at the
message you're getting.  Clearly, you're finding the DLL now.  This
is goodness.  What isn't goodness is that the entry point it's expecting
isn't in there.  At this point, I can't say why that is.  Perhaps
someone else has an idea.

Larry

* Re: Setup.exe Revisited
@ 2001-11-13 13:14             ` Daniel Meier
From: Daniel Meier @ 2001-11-13 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc); +Cc: cygwin

Coolness! That fixed it.
Ran setup.exe again. It suggested the following upgrades:
gettext 0.10.35.2p1 to 0.10.30-2
vim 6.0.46-1 to 6.0.93-1
w32api 20010520-1 to 1.1.1

After installing them vi(m) worked just fine.

Thanks Chuck & Larry