* Strange performance of Bash depending of current directory
@ 2001-11-20 12:47 apiic
From: apiic @ 2001-11-20 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

At first, thank you for CYGWIN environment which is so useful, specially
for me to settle shells both on NT stations et UNIX stations.
I ask about a strange problem about Bash performances
of scripts depending of the type of NT local directory.

I maintain a bash profile running on NT4 station with CYGWIN and on IRIX station.
This profile is stored on UNIX (IRIX station with Samba) server.

Some users complaint about low performances of this profile running on
their NT4 station.
I found that all users complaining got their home directory on UNIX
station (net use with Samba).
The others got their home directory on NT station.

So I wrote a little script and tested it, first in local directory and
second in Samba directory. Here is the result :

1) Running script in local directory (c:/users/<username>)    2 seconds
2) Running script in share directory (net use Samba)          4 seconds

Script :

#!/bin/bash

for ligne in $(mount | grep system | tr -s [:space:] | sed 's/ /,/g' )
do
   path=$(echo $ligne | sed 's/,/ /g' | cut -f1 -d " ")
   point=$(echo $ligne | sed 's/,/ /g' | cut -f3 -d " ")
   echo $point monte sur $path
done

It appears that performances of scripts depend of the current directory
in which they are run. I made several tests and it seems that variable HOME
and variable PATH have no relation with this behaviour.

I read FAQ and Mailing list archive without any answer about this problem
Thank you for helping

--
Arnaud GAND

* Re: Strange performance of Bash depending of current directory
@ 2001-11-20 17:46 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
       [not found]   ` <3C0CC905.2000806@apiic.info>
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-11-20 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnaud, cygwin

At 05:56 AM 11/30/2001, apiic wrote:
>Hi,
>
>At first, thank you for CYGWIN environment which is so useful, specially for me to settle shells both on NT stations et UNIX stations. I ask about a strange problem about Bash performances
>of scripts depending of the type of NT local directory.
>
>I maintain a bash profile running on NT4 station with CYGWIN and on IRIX station. This profile is stored on UNIX (IRIX station with Samba) server.
>
>Some users complaint about low performances of this profile running on their NT4 station.
>I found that all users complaining got their home directory on UNIX station (net use with Samba).
>The others got their home directory on NT station.
>
>So I wrote a little script and tested it, first in local directory and second in Samba directory. Here is the result :
>
>1) Running script in local directory (c:/users/<username>)    2 seconds
>2) Running script in share directory (net use Samba)          4 seconds
>
>Script :
>
>#!/bin/bash
>
>for ligne in $(mount | grep system | tr -s [:space:] | sed 's/ /,/g' )
>do
>   path=$(echo $ligne | sed 's/,/ /g' | cut -f1 -d " ")
>   point=$(echo $ligne | sed 's/,/ /g' | cut -f3 -d " ")
>   echo $point monte sur $path
>done
>
>It appears that performances of scripts depend of the current directory in which they are run. I made several tests and it seems that variable HOME
>and variable PATH have no relation with this behaviour.
>
>I read FAQ and Mailing list archive without any answer about this problem
>Thank you for helping

The overhead of network access is not insignificant with Cygwin.  Putting
network directories in the path can have a significant performance impact
too.

* Strange performance of Bash depending of current directory
@ 2001-11-30  1:30 ` apiic
From: apiic @ 2001-11-30  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-30  9:01   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
       [not found]   ` <3C0CC905.2000806@apiic.info>
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-11-30  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnaud, cygwin

@ 2001-12-07  6:59     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-12-07  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnaud; +Cc: cygwin

At 08:00 AM 12/4/2001, apiic wrote:

>Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>>
>>At 05:56 AM 11/30/2001, apiic wrote:
>>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>At first, thank you for CYGWIN environment which is so useful, specially for me to settle shells both on NT stations et UNIX stations. I ask about a strange problem about Bash performances
>>>of scripts depending of the type of NT local directory.
>>>
>>>I maintain a bash profile running on NT4 station with CYGWIN and on IRIX station. This profile is stored on UNIX (IRIX station with Samba) server.
>>>
>>>Some users complaint about low performances of this profile running on their NT4 station.
>>>I found that all users complaining got their home directory on UNIX station (net use with Samba).
>>>The others got their home directory on NT station.
>>>
>>>So I wrote a little script and tested it, first in local directory and second in Samba directory. Here is the result :
>>>
>>>1) Running script in local directory (c:/users/<username>)    2 seconds
>>>2) Running script in share directory (net use Samba)          4 seconds
>>>
>>>Script :
>>>#!/bin/bash
>>>
>>>for ligne in $(mount | grep system | tr -s [:space:] | sed 's/ /,/g' )
>>>do
>>>   path=$(echo $ligne | sed 's/,/ /g' | cut -f1 -d " ")
>>>   point=$(echo $ligne | sed 's/,/ /g' | cut -f3 -d " ")
>>>   echo $point monte sur $path
>>>done
>>>
>>>It appears that performances of scripts depend of the current directory in which they are run. I made several tests and it seems that variable HOME
>>>and variable PATH have no relation with this behaviour.
>>>
>>>I read FAQ and Mailing list archive without any answer about this problem
>>>Thank you for helping
>>

>>The overhead of network access is not insignificant with Cygwin.  Putting
>>network directories in the path can have a significant performance impact
>>too.
>Thank you for answering.
>Unfortunately, it does not help me. Is there any way to improve performances
>regarding current directory or the path with CYGWIN ?

Putting directories that you use frequently earlier in your path is
sometimes a help for long paths.  If directories you use frequently are
network paths, this may not prove helpful though.

>By the way I made further tests and I found that NT network directories are faster than Samba network
>directories. I use Samba 2.0.5. Is there any tuning to do with Samba to improve my CYGWIN environment
>performances.

Not that I know of off-hand.  You can check the email archives (or the
source! ;-) ) for possible settings for the CYGWIN environment variable
that might help here.  I seem to recall that there is one for SAMBA
specifically but I forget the issue it was targeting.  Just a guess
but I suspect your performance differences between your NT machines and
those accessed through SAMBA are based on network/hardware differences.
I could be wrong.  There are allot of potential differences here.  You
can check the SAMBA sites for SAMBA tuning information of course.