* inetd -- service wont start at boottime on Win XP (add me to the pile)
@ 2001-12-21  4:13 Dr. Andrew Mayer
From: Dr. Andrew Mayer @ 2001-12-21  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Subject: inetd -- service wont start at boottime on Win XP (add me to
the pile)

Like many others, I can't seem to get inetd started at boottime as a
service.  Without much effort I can get it to setup as a service set to
'automatic,' but it wont start on its own.  After I boot and login I
have to start it manually.

System is WinXP with latest Cygwin

I've tried all the ideas I've seen from
	inetutils-1.3.2.README, e.g.,
		--install-as-service
		cygwin1.dll in path
	this mailing list, e.g.,
		Mark Himsley's add a dependency idea
         Shawn Behrens' add a Description idea

	erdelynet.com

So far, nothing seems to work :(

Here are my associated log entries from the "System" log (the error
messages
about inetd failing to start) and the the 'Application' log, showing me
successfully starting it by hand.

It turns out that I can't get sshd to boot-start either, probably for
the same unknown reasons.  That's also fine as a hand started service
invoked with cygrunsrv.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Andrew
-----

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	Service Control Manager
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	7009
Date:		12/19/2001
Time:		11:56:46 PM
User:		N/A
Computer:	XXXXXXXX
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the CYGWIN inetd service to
connect.

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	Service Control Manager
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	7000
Date:		12/19/2001
Time:		11:56:46 PM
User:		N/A
Computer:	XXXXXXXX
The CYGWIN inetd service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion.

-----

Event Type:	Information
Event Source:	inetd
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	0
Date:		12/19/2001
Time:		11:57:18 PM
User:		NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:	XXXXXXXX
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( inetd ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
inetd : Win32 Process Id = 0x370 : Cygwin Process Id = 0x370 : `inetd'
service started

* Re: inetd -- service wont start at boottime on Win XP (add me to the pile)
@ 2001-12-21 13:10 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-12-21 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrewmayer, cygwin

At 05:31 AM 12/21/2001, Dr. Andrew Mayer wrote:
>Subject: inetd -- service wont start at boottime on Win XP (add me to
>the pile)
>
>Like many others, I can't seem to get inetd started at boottime as a
>service.  Without much effort I can get it to setup as a service set to
>'automatic,' but it wont start on its own.  After I boot and login I
>have to start it manually.
>
>System is WinXP with latest Cygwin
>
>I've tried all the ideas I've seen from
>         inetutils-1.3.2.README, e.g.,
>                 --install-as-service
>                 cygwin1.dll in path
>         this mailing list, e.g.,
>                 Mark Himsley's add a dependency idea
>          http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg01905.html
>          Shawn Behrens' add a Description idea
>          http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg01891.html
>
>         erdelynet.com
>

>So far, nothing seems to work :(
>

>Here are my associated log entries from the "System" log (the error
>messages
>about inetd failing to start) and the the 'Application' log, showing me
>successfully starting it by hand.
>
>It turns out that I can't get sshd to boot-start either, probably for
>the same unknown reasons.  That's also fine as a hand started service
>invoked with cygrunsrv.
>
>Ideas anyone?

Sounds like there is another dependency that you're not getting
implicitly on your system.  I have no idea what that dependency might
be though.  Sorry.

* Re: inetd -- service wont start at boottime on Win XP (add me to the pile)
@ 2002-02-05 13:31 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-02-05 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:01:02PM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Note that inetd needs to locate cygwin1.dll in order to start. Also note
> that services start even before you login. So how is inetd (usually in
> /usr/sbin) to find cygwin1.dll (usually in /bin)? The answer is that the
> [etc]

This leads me to the assumption that you didn't read
/usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* inetd -- service wont start at boottime on Win XP (add me to the pile)
@ 2002-02-05 13:01 Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-02-05 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrewmayer; +Cc: cygwin

Note that inetd needs to locate cygwin1.dll in order to start. Also note
that services start even before you login. So how is inetd (usually in
/usr/sbin) to find cygwin1.dll (usually in /bin)? The answer is that the
Windows loader will look for dll's first in the directory that the
program loaded from (/usr/sbin) failing that it will look for it
following PATH. So is <cygwin install directory>\bin in your PATH? Not
in your Cygwin PATH but in your Windows PATH. Remember services are
started even before you login so Cygwin's bin directory (usually
C:\Cygwin\bin) must be in your Windows System environment variable PATH
(Windows User environment variables such as PATH are only in affect when
the user logs in).

Note that since you are changing the Windows System environment you must
reboot to insure that the change is noticed.
--
Salira <http://www.salira.com>

Ethernet Simple, Fiber Fast

5751 Patrick Henry Drive
Santa Clara, California 95054
Phone: (408)-855-8860x121
Email: ADeFaria@Salira.com
<mailto:Andrew%20DeFaria%20%3CADeFaria@Salira.com%3E>
Web: http://www.salira.com

Andrew DeFaria <http://www.defaria.com>

Clearcase Administrator
Email: Andrew@DeFaria.com <mailto:Andrew@DeFaria.com>
Home http://www.defaria.com

* RE: inetd -- service wont start at boottime on Win XP (add me to  the pile)
@ 2001-12-21  5:46 Habermann, David (DA)
From: Habermann, David (DA) @ 2001-12-21  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: 'andrewmayer@yahoo.com'

I, too, could not make this work (in my case to start SSHD as a service),
even after an exhaustive search of this list archive.  What I ended up with
was using the "Scheduled Tasks" control panel to schedule a "cygrunsrv"
task.  This task is scheduled to run "At system startup" and uses the
command

C:\cygwin\bin\cygrunsrv.exe -S sshd

This apparently delays startup sufficiently that all of the necessary
resources are available.  I've heard a rumor (which I've not be able to
substantiate but does fit my experience) that the portion of the OS that
allows services to be started "dependent on Tcpip" has been "underdeveloped"
(see http://www.queso.com/autoFrontier.htm).

David Habermann