* No stderr output
@ 2002-01-10 14:06 William S Fulton
From: William S Fulton @ 2002-01-10 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Anything sent to stderr does not appear on the terminal. It seems to
disappear into a black hole. I think it started when I was attempting to
redirect stdout and stderr into the same file in the same order it appears
on the console using something like
runme 1>&2 > filename
I tried all sorts of combinations and didn't get it to work :(

Any suggestions for bringing stderr back from the dead?
Thanks.

* Re: No stderr output
@ 2002-01-10 14:27 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-01-10 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William S Fulton, cygwin

At 05:07 PM 1/10/2002, William S Fulton wrote:
>Anything sent to stderr does not appear on the terminal. It seems to
>disappear into a black hole. I think it started when I was attempting to
>redirect stdout and stderr into the same file in the same order it appears
>on the console using something like
>runme 1>&2 > filename
>I tried all sorts of combinations and didn't get it to work :(
>
>Any suggestions for bringing stderr back from the dead?

You can check the documentation on this but I expect you'll find you
have a user error.  Try 'runme 2>&1 >filename'.

BTW, this is OT for this list.

* Re: No stderr output
@ 2002-01-10 15:09 ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2002-01-10 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuwin32

William S Fulton wrote:

> Anything sent to stderr does not appear on the terminal. It seems to
> disappear into a black hole. I think it started when I was attempting to
> redirect stdout and stderr into the same file in the same order it appears
> on the console using something like
> runme 1>&2 > filename
> I tried all sorts of combinations and didn't get it to work :(
>
> Any suggestions for bringing stderr back from the dead?
> Thanks.

For Bourne style shells I use

runme > filename 2>&1

This redirects stdout first and then stderr to whereever stdout is
pointing.

Cheers

Don Sharp

* Re: No stderr output
@ 2002-01-10 15:12   ` Christopher Faylor
       [not found]     ` <NCBBIHCHBLCMLBLOBONKGEMACIAA.g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.ne t>
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-10 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 11:06:57PM +0000, Don Sharp wrote:
>William S Fulton wrote:
>> Anything sent to stderr does not appear on the terminal. It seems to
>> disappear into a black hole. I think it started when I was attempting to
>> redirect stdout and stderr into the same file in the same order it appears
>> on the console using something like
>> runme 1>&2 > filename
>> I tried all sorts of combinations and didn't get it to work :(
>>
>> Any suggestions for bringing stderr back from the dead?
>> Thanks.
>
>For Bourne style shells I use
>
>runme > filename 2>&1
>
>This redirects stdout first and then stderr to whereever stdout is
>pointing.

If this doesn't do it, then I think the best plan is to find help from
another mailing list.  Basic shell questions are not really appropriate
here -- especially given the recent volume we've been experiencing.

cgf

@ 2002-01-10 18:56     ` Gary R. Van Sickle
       [not found]     ` <NCBBIHCHBLCMLBLOBONKGEMACIAA.g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.ne t>
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-01-10 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[snip]

> >For Bourne style shells I use
> >
> >runme > filename 2>&1
> >
> >This redirects stdout first and then stderr to whereever stdout is
> >pointing.
>
> If this doesn't do it, then I think the best plan is to find help from
> another mailing list.  Basic shell questions are not really appropriate
> here -- especially given the recent volume we've been experiencing.

I've been cogitating for a while that it could be mutually beneficial to
inexperienced users and regulars' blood pressures alike if the Cygwin mailing
list page listed a few concrete URLs to such "newbie" lists/newsgroups/FAQs etc,
and at the same time reworked the wording on the description of this particular
list.  Currently it says, "If you have questions about how to use Cygwin, or any
of its tools (bash, gcc, make, etc.), this is the list for you."  That means:
"If you have any question whatsoever regarding anything you can associate
somehow with Cygwin, post it here."  That's simply not the intention of the list
(at least since I've been around), nor should it be, but the description simply
gives no indication of the true intent, i.e. "Cygwin-specific questions only
need apply".

Now as for where best to send people, I have no idea (maybe some can just point
into the appropriate section of the FAQ).  But here's a rough outline of what
I'm thinking:

Help With The Tools Packaged With Cygwin

Cygwin Specific Mailing Lists
=============================

cygwin-xfree: (same description, note the clever inversion of these two, thus
guaranteeing that no xfree questions get into the main list).

cygwin: A high volume list solely for the discussion of Cygwin-specific
issues/problems/etc.  If you have questions specifically related to the Cygwin
ports of the tools, *not* regarding the tools themselves, post here.

Cygwin Developers Mailing Lists
===============================

Heaven help you if you post something off topic to one of these:

cygwin-apps: blah blah blah
etc
etc

Comments?  Questions other than "what are you smoking"? ;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

@ 2002-01-10 19:02       ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-10 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary R. Van Sickle, cygwin

===
> Comments?  Questions other than "what are you smoking"? ;-)

How long have you been somking it :}-.

Rob

From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-01-11  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary R. Van Sickle, cygwin

At 09:55 PM 1/10/2002, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> [...]

Great!  Want to suggest a patch for this page?

@ 2002-01-13 20:18       ` Soren Andersen
From: Soren Andersen @ 2002-01-13 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10 Jan 2002 at 20:55, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

[cgf wrote:]
> > If this doesn't do it, then I think the best plan is to find help from
> > another mailing list.  Basic shell questions are not really appropriate
> > here -- especially given the recent volume we've been experiencing.

> I've been cogitating for a while that it could be mutually beneficial to
> inexperienced users and regulars' blood pressures alike if the Cygwin
> mailing list page listed a few concrete URLs to such "newbie"
> lists/newsgroups/FAQs etc, and at the same time reworked the wording on the
> description of this particular list.

Oh yes. I can tell you from a semi-novice POV that this is a correct
insight. The wording (on that page at the RedHat Cygwin WWW site) that
describes and therefore implicitly invites and directs towards the Cygwin
mailing list could be re-written to important benefit for all, including
both the tired veterans and the clooless noobies who think they are reading
"ask us anything at all here about using Cygwin, we'll get you fixed up":

> Currently it says, "If you have questions about how to use Cygwin, or
> any of its tools (bash, gcc, make, etc.), this is the list for you."
> That means: "If you have any question whatsoever regarding anything you
> can associate somehow with Cygwin, post it here."

"can associate" being the most significant phrase in this point. The
trouble is that experts' notions of *where* the boundary between OT for
Cygwin lies and the noobie notions of where it lies (or that such a thing
might exist, more to the point), is potentially extremely different, and
whole sets (myriads, hecatomes) of assumptions need to be examined for
correctness, which apparently aren't:

 - can one safely assume that a noobie who finds Cygwin grasps that the
tools that are packed with cygwin (bash, login, man, for example) aren't
specific to Cygwin at all but long predate it, and
 - can one safely assume that noobies will think "these tools that i am
given with Cygwin run the same 'on cygwin' as they do on any Uni* -like
platform (and therefore general documentation 'out there' will apply too),
and
 - can one safely assume that noobies who might even guess at the first two
points might not think anyway that "maybe I'll find friendlier, more
sympathetic folks to hold my trembling timorous hand here, than I would if
I ventured onto onto the Wierd Wild Web in search of generalized help on
these tools"? (Point of this last is not to characterize the cygwin list as
"nasty" or to propose that it self-characterize this way, but to suggest
that a LITTLE warning of a slightly stern-sounding nature at the "front
door" might be expeditious and appropriate given that folks on this list
BAL [By And Large] clearly DON'T want anymore to answer questions like
"what does man do" or "how do I login to bash").

It may be that In The Ancient Past most people who installed Cygwin were
experienced Uni* users who longed for familiar tools in some kind of
circumstantial Windoze exile they were enduring, but this also may not be a
safe assumption anymore, if it ever was (IMO is not, since I knew little
about Uni* when I began using Cygwin several years ago). So this means an
entire philosophical framework (i.e., the Uni* Way -- small user-
configurable tools chained together in innumerable combinations to
accomplish novel tasks, rather than Monolithic User Interfaces from one
company where all the parts are considered more-or-less to be the Operating
System itself... and only "conventional" tasks are allowed to 'exist') may
be lacking for noobies of this description.

Yep, assumptions lie near the root of cygwin List unhappiness.

> That's simply not the intention of the list (at least since I've been
> around), nor should it be, but the description simply gives no
> indication of the true intent, i.e. "Cygwin-specific questions only
> need apply".

> Now as for where best to send people, I have no idea (maybe some can just
> point into the appropriate section of the FAQ).  But here's a rough outline
> of what I'm thinking:
{snip}

Unless there is one single extremely knowledgeable and encyclopedically-
oriented person who knows where to send people (and such people do exist I
think, but whether one will care to undertake this is another question)
then I think that a little project (or a little "coordinated multi-person
collaboration", for lovers of ornate terminology!) needs to be created to
develop and verify a list of
resources to send such visitors to.

The task (of writing up re-directions for some of these categories or
inquiries) can be done once, -- to set up more precise explanations and
info at the site; or it can be done as its been done, repeated over and
over again as similar questions appear on the list and are answered one at
a time.

   Best,
     Soren Andersen

@ 2002-01-14  4:34         ` Robert Collins
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-14  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2002-01-14  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: soren_andersen; +Cc: cygwin

On Monday 14 Jan 02, Robert Collins writes:
> > The task (of writing up re-directions for some of these categories or
> > inquiries) can be done once, -- to set up more precise explanations
> and
> > info at the site; or it can be done as its been done, repeated over
> and
> > over again as similar questions appear on the list and are answered
> one at
> > a time.
>
> I can make an assertion here:
> contribute patches. Contribute the links *you know* (come on' after more
> than a years use you must have collected a few useful links). Don't
> worry about whether they are the best links, that's what open source
> doco is for!
>
> If *you* don't, and noone else *does*, then nothing will happen, and in
> 6 months Chris will say "I've been cogitating..."

As you might expect, this has come up before.  I would consider
devoting space in the FAQ for pointers to basic UNIX resources.
However, I'm not the person to locate the resources or judge which are
suitable and which are crap.  (After 20 years of UNIX, my skills are
such that man pages and google are enough!)  If someone can distill a
few good resource pointers, I'll provide an item in the FAQ for them.

That is, when I get my home internet connection working... :-(

Regards,
David
(Cygwin FAQ maintainer)

@ 2002-01-14  9:01           ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2002-01-14  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: soren_andersen, cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:

>>given with Cygwin run the same 'on cygwin' as they do on any
>>
> Uni* -like
>
>>platform (and therefore general documentation 'out there' will apply
>>
> too),
>
>From experience on this list, I can assert that this is an unsafe
> assumption. Many many many questions are asked that are solveable by
> simple examination of existing documentation - like the recent lex->flex
> question (while I didn't know that answer, that's gotta be a flex FAQ!).

Well, I'm sorry about asking, but I'd been looking for the key to that
for 2 years, and only recently has cygwin come up to speed to be able to
build and run my application.  With the help of the latest incarnation
of 'info flex' and recent improvements in vim syntax coloring, I did
find both the latent bugs and the features which aren't supported
exactly the same by lex and flex.  If there were a flex FAQ or a flex
mailing list, would it not show up on gcc.gnu.org or a newsgroup or
google search?

>>BAL [By And Large] clearly DON'T want anymore to answer questions like
>>"what does man do" or "how do I login to bash").
>>

> Good point.

But another one where there are minor gotchas for people who have 20
years experience on Unix with shells which pre-date free software.
And, without experience specific to Cygwin, no one knows exactly which
variations on the standard behavior of free software will apply on
Cygwin.  For example, has anyone documented the ways in which cygwin
differs from linux in application of code and data alignments?  Does
anyone think the newlib mailing list is a helpful place?

--
Tim Prince
tprince@computer.org

@ 2002-01-14 10:14             ` Fractal A.
From: Fractal A. @ 2002-01-14 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tprince, Robert Collins; +Cc: soren_andersen, cygwin

Here is a good place to look for info about flex.  I found some good stuff
about bison there.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

Have you ever tried using Daves Quick Search Bar?  It's a convenient helpful
search tool.

http://notesbydave.com/toolbar/searchdoc.htm

=====
Fractal A.                    fractala@yahoo.com

@ 2002-01-14 15:41             ` Soren Andersen
From: Soren Andersen @ 2002-01-14 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 14 Jan 2002 at 7:59, Tim Prince wrote:

> And, without experience specific to Cygwin, no one knows exactly which
> variations on the standard behavior of free software will apply on Cygwin.

I was hoping and expecting that someone would make this observation. It's
one that I think is important to keep in mind -- there have had to be, I
think I can be confident in stating, *some* particular differences in the
way that some things "work" on cygwin vs. how they work on other platforms
that are considered Unixen (with GNU/Linux being the obvious major
reference point at this stage of the game).

I didn't really have in mind examples like this one however:

> For example, has anyone documented the ways in which cygwin
> differs from linux in application of code and data alignments?  Does
> anyone think the newlib mailing list is a helpful place?

According to my understanding I see this as being eminently ON-topic for
the cygwin List (or even for cygwin-developers), whereas I was addressing
the area of topics of a more general user nature, where that user is not
someone trying to write code for/to Cygwin, but rather was at a much less
high-level engineering-oriented phase of "usership," and where there might
therefore be a question whether the question is Cygwin-OT or not.

In case it isn't at all clear what I might mean, say I might be thinking of
someone who is trying to build standard Open Source or Free Software
packages on Cygwin -- not trying to extend or doing a major porting job to
some app or write an entirely new application, but simply trying to "get
[foo] to build." I have spent countless hours trying to get  pretty widely-
used packages to build using Cygwin tools and trying to understand whether
and how my Cygwin environment was "broken" as the expression goes.

So what I am addressing is a perceived (on my part) need for clarification
or contemplation about what comprises a user question that falls within the
intent of the main cygwin List. Somebody here will (or can or has) stated
"what is the List intent" very succinctly and will probably probably feel
that they've nailed it down and it doesn't deserve or need lots more
discussion, and may be so confident in their assertion that readers will be
drawn to agree; but a little time and observation may reveal that there are
many special cases where a gray area is entered and the brief and brusque
and cut-and-dried doesn't seem to have been enough to cover everything in
that light.

A minor but good case in point that occurs to me is the recent discussion
on List that dealt with enabling certain key-bindings in bash (msg # 42891,
"Copy and Paste into Console"). One of those bindings was to make the
'insert' key do something useful (paste from the Windows clipboard into the
cygwin bash console). IMO this kind of question and the knowledge that was
shared is very OT because, for one thing, it is Windows-specific (the
clipboard as such doesn't exist on other platforms, although surely
analogous entities must..). So this is an instance of a divergence between
"standard" behavior of a Gnu tool and a "special behavior or modification"
that this tool's Cygwin port has. For another thing, I think it can be seen
as reasonable to assert that having an efficient and "confortable" shell
environment to work in is a prerequisite for a lot of users to getting more
specific and interesting work done. It certainly is for me. I'd like to
think that the Cygwin project's folks would see this as an area that needs
support, very legitimately. It may not particularly *interest* some
individual who is of capability such that they are preoccupied with the
innards of Cygwin or some major piece of Cygwin, but the mere fact that it
isn't especially stimulating to such individuals to deal with such
questions doesn't make the asking of them invalid or the effort to provide
helpful and accessible support on them unimportant.

This is what FAQs are for, of course, and a lot of info exists in them.
FAQs are only any good if a user finds them and reads them, of course. And
they may need constant upkeep and re-writing to be really useful.

   Best Regards,
     Soren Andersen

@ 2002-01-14 15:56           ` Soren Andersen
From: Soren Andersen @ 2002-01-14 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 14 Jan 2002 at 21:32, Robert Collins wrote:

> contribute patches. Contribute the links *you know* (come on' after more
> than a years use you must have collected a few useful links). Don't worry
> about whether they are the best links, that's what open source doco is for!

Well, yes, exactly! Collectively this List's readers must possess in one
form or another a prodigious pile of reference knowledge about where to
look for answers. If we pool our knowledge we will achieve the several
benefits of both lowering the noise level on the List (perhaps) and making
it more interesting, and also of helping others (and probably ourselves) to
more quickly target rich sources for areas where enriched knowledge is
required.

> If *you* don't, and noone else *does*, then nothing will happen, and in 6
> months Chris will say "I've been cogitating..."

Sounds pretty frightening! ;-)

I am picturing "Spike" on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (American TV show,
sorry for the non-global reference) emerging from the shadows with that
malevolent smirk on his face, saying "I've been cogitating.."  ;-[

   Soren Andersen

@ 2002-01-11 15:22   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-11 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Franklin, cygwin

From: Joshua Franklin @ 2002-01-11  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A while ago I was helping students that were new
to bash and UNIX and I wrote a little guide in HTML.
Late I put together "Cygwin-Lite" (Cygwin on a floppy)
and added the guide. This was before the setup.exe
changes that made a minimal install easy. I've
stopped updating Cygwin-Lite but I think the webpage
is useful:

http://cygwin-lite.sourceforge.net/html/begin.html

At the bottom there are lots of links to other useful
information. Anybody want to take a look and try to
guess what I was smoking at the time?