* cygwin1.dll & cygz.dll is a virus
@ 2002-02-14 11:52 Joel P. Kuntz
From: Joel P. Kuntz @ 2002-02-14 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Good Afternoon,

   I certainly hope this is one of those intelligent questions.  I work
at the University at Buffalo.  We have been experimenting with cygwin
to provide a sshd on machines so we can do remote administration on our
servers securely.  We also happen to be running Norton Antivirus
Corporate Edition 7.x.

   The latest definition files dated February 13, 2002 indicate that
cygwin1.dll and cygz.dll are EggHead viruses.  I think it is a false
positive.  Has anyone else reported this?

   Thank you for your time and assistance.

Joel
Joel P. Kuntz
University at Buffalo
 The State University of New York
College of Arts and Sciences
810 Clemens Hall
Buffalo, New York 14260
Ph:  (716) 645-2711
Ph:  (716) 645-6000 Ext: 1158
Fax: (716) 645-3738
Email:  jpkuntz@acsu.buffalo.edu

* Re: cygwin1.dll & cygz.dll is a virus
@ 2002-02-14 12:03 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-02-14 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel P. Kuntz, cygwin

At 02:52 PM 2/14/2002, Joel P. Kuntz wrote:
>Good Afternoon,
>
>    I certainly hope this is one of those intelligent questions.  I work
>at the University at Buffalo.  We have been experimenting with cygwin
>to provide a sshd on machines so we can do remote administration on our
>servers securely.  We also happen to be running Norton Antivirus
>Corporate Edition 7.x.
>
>    The latest definition files dated February 13, 2002 indicate that
>cygwin1.dll and cygz.dll are EggHead viruses.  I think it is a false
>positive.  Has anyone else reported this?

Um, yes.  With nauseating repetition.

I'd suggest that if you're unsure whether you're asking an intelligent
question or not, particularly about a new (to you) issue, the first place
to look is the email list archives.  Common problems are going to show up
there in droves.  In the case of this particular issue, you would see the
entire debate on this issue over just the past two days.  Given Norton's
obvious error, it looks like we'll be seeing lots of repeated email queries
to this list about this issue. :-(

Time for me to set up a new email filter! ;-)