* RE: Cygwin Registry Entries and Scriptability?
       [not found] <AA200D15A29A574DA33D98B75E6E5D990452EF86@syrs-mail.back.ti ckets.com>
@ 2002-02-14 12:36 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-02-14 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mack, Daemian, cygwin

At 03:27 PM 2/14/2002, Mack, Daemian wrote:
> > >I'd like confirmation or denial of this, because I'd like to
> > move forward
> > >without scripting a full Cygwin installation, using only
> > these three files.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by a "full Cygwin installation,
> > using only these
> > three files".  To people on this list, a full Cygwin
> > installation is more
> > than just the three files you indicate.
>
>*Without* scripting the full installation.  From the viewpoint of my install
>package, it's infinitely easier to copy three files into a temporary working
>directory, run them, then delete them, without worrying about a full
>installation of Cygwin.

OK.  If you keep yourself pointed at the temporary working directory and
no other Cygwin installation is present or loaded at the time, this should
be OK.

> > It's worth noting that the installation you're describing would be
> > considered a custom one by this list and should come with its own
> > support channel.  This list can't be it.  I suspect that
> > you're aware of
> > this but in case you're not, it's an important point to consider.
>
>I do realize this.  What I'm asking is no more than this: is a full Cygwin
>installation required in order for bash.exe to use rsync.exe to read from
>and write to the local Windows filesystem?  Or are these two files -- plus
>the cygwin.dll -- sufficient for this purpose?

Yep, should be.

* RE: cygwin Registry Entries and Scriptability?
@ 2002-02-14 13:05 Mack, Daemian
From: Mack, Daemian @ 2002-02-14 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 03:27:04PM -0500, Mack, Daemian wrote:
> >I do realize this.  What I'm asking is no more than this: is
> a full Cygwin
> >installation required in order for bash.exe to use rsync.exe
> to read from
> >and write to the local Windows filesystem?  Or are these two
> files -- plus
> >the cygwin.dll -- sufficient for this purpose?
>
> Hmm.  Didn't my response suffice?

Judging by the evidence before us, the answer here is clearly no.  But thank
you for trying.

> If you are finding that the three files
> work, then obviously you don't need anything else.

Well, that's what two hours of tinkering on a couple of Windows boxes have
suggested.  I'd obviously require independent confirmation before I go
mucking about with customers' production data.  I think I've gotten it now;
I appreciate your input.

Daemian Mack

* RE: Cygwin Registry Entries and Scriptability?
@ 2002-02-14 13:04 Mack, Daemian
From: Mack, Daemian @ 2002-02-14 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)', 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

> >I do realize this.  What I'm asking is no more than this: is
> a full Cygwin
> >installation required in order for bash.exe to use rsync.exe
> to read from
> >and write to the local Windows filesystem?  Or are these two
> files -- plus
> >the cygwin.dll -- sufficient for this purpose?
>
> Yep, should be.

Excellent.  Thank you!

Daemian Mack

* Re: cygwin Registry Entries and Scriptability?
@ 2002-02-14 12:36 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-14 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 03:27:04PM -0500, Mack, Daemian wrote:
>I do realize this.  What I'm asking is no more than this: is a full Cygwin
>installation required in order for bash.exe to use rsync.exe to read from
>and write to the local Windows filesystem?  Or are these two files -- plus
>the cygwin.dll -- sufficient for this purpose?

Hmm.  Didn't my response suffice?  If you are finding that the three files
work, then obviously you don't need anything else.

cgf

* RE: Cygwin Registry Entries and Scriptability?
@ 2002-02-14 12:28 Mack, Daemian
From: Mack, Daemian @ 2002-02-14 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)', cygwin

> >I'd like confirmation or denial of this, because I'd like to
> move forward
> >without scripting a full Cygwin installation, using only
> these three files.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by a "full Cygwin installation,
> using only these
> three files".  To people on this list, a full Cygwin
> installation is more
> than just the three files you indicate.

*Without* scripting the full installation.  From the viewpoint of my install
package, it's infinitely easier to copy three files into a temporary working
directory, run them, then delete them, without worrying about a full
installation of Cygwin.

> It's worth noting that the installation you're describing would be
> considered a custom one by this list and should come with its own
> support channel.  This list can't be it.  I suspect that
> you're aware of
> this but in case you're not, it's an important point to consider.

I do realize this.  What I'm asking is no more than this: is a full Cygwin
installation required in order for bash.exe to use rsync.exe to read from
and write to the local Windows filesystem?  Or are these two files -- plus
the cygwin.dll -- sufficient for this purpose?

Thanks for the quick response, by the way.

Daemian Mack

* Re: cygwin Registry Entries and Scriptability?
@ 2002-02-14 12:25   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-02-14 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 03:13 PM 2/14/2002, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 02:51:29PM -0500, Mack, Daemian wrote:
> >I've heard that the way I'm doing it might not be correct, mostly because
> >the full setup of Cygwin provides registry entries concerning mount points,
> >so that, for instance, the directive /cygdrive/c/windows/desktop means
> >something to Cygwin utilities.
>
>Cygwin doesn't need to use the registry.  It only does so when there are
>actual entries.  It isn't required to have a root directory or a /bin
>directory, etc.  The registry entries are either written by setup.exe or
>mount.exe but neither is required.
>
> >But what I'm finding with my testing is that every time I run bash.exe on a
> >machine with no other Cygwin install, these registry entries are created
> >dynamically.  I suspect cygwin1.dll is doing this when it's called by
> >bash.exe.
>
>If you're seeing this then you're running an older version of cygwin.  It's
>possible that some of the registry "directories" might be created but there
>should be no actual data.

OK, ignore the jibberish in my response about who makes what mount/directory.
Chris's answer is the one you should pay attention to here.  The other points
I made in my response are still worth considering though.

* Re: Cygwin Registry Entries and Scriptability?
       [not found] <AA200D15A29A574DA33D98B75E6E5D990452EF85@syrs-mail.back.ti ckets.com>
@ 2002-02-14 12:20 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-02-14 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mack, Daemian, cygwin

At 02:51 PM 2/14/2002, Mack, Daemian wrote:
>Hi all.  I'm using Wise Installer to package and script an upgrade utility
>for Windows machines.  As part of this package, I'm using Cygwin's bash.exe,
>rsync.exe, and the latest cygwin1.dll.  At the moment, I'm just copying
>these three files to the hard disk on the target machine, then launching a
>bash.exe process with various arguments to rsync.exe to perform an rsync
>over the net.
>
>I've heard that the way I'm doing it might not be correct, mostly because
>the full setup of Cygwin provides registry entries concerning mount points,
>so that, for instance, the directive /cygdrive/c/windows/desktop means
>something to Cygwin utilities.
>
>But what I'm finding with my testing is that every time I run bash.exe on a
>machine with no other Cygwin install, these registry entries are created
>dynamically.  I suspect cygwin1.dll is doing this when it's called by
>bash.exe.
>
>To all appearances, then, a full install of Cygwin seems redundant, since I
>can reference /cygdrive/c and get my work finished just fine without it.
>
>I'd like confirmation or denial of this, because I'd like to move forward
>without scripting a full Cygwin installation, using only these three files.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "full Cygwin installation, using only these
three files".  To people on this list, a full Cygwin installation is more
than just the three files you indicate.

/cygdrive is meant to represent implicit mounts to local hard drives.  The
Cygwin DLL takes care of generating these.  Other mount points (/usr/bin,
/usr/lib, and /) are created by setup.exe and are not dynamically created
as needed.  Your biggest concerns, though, should be:

   1. Detecting an existing Cygwin installation so that your installation
      doesn't clash with Cygwin's.

   2. Robustly handling a subsequent installation of Cygwin.

It's worth noting that the installation you're describing would be
considered a custom one by this list and should come with its own
support channel.  This list can't be it.  I suspect that you're aware of
this but in case you're not, it's an important point to consider.

Hope that helps,

* Re: cygwin Registry Entries and Scriptability?
@ 2002-02-14 12:13 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-14 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-02-14 11:52 Mack, Daemian

[...]