* Re: assimilation cmd towards cygwin/bash
@ 2003-02-07 20:44 svartsjel
From: svartsjel @ 2003-02-07 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shankar; +Cc: cygwin

Shankar Unni wrote:
> As long as you don't mind hitting <CR> after the ^D, this seems to
> work:
>
>    c:\> doskey ^D=exit
>
> Now, if you hit ^D<cr>  (the <cr> is unfortunately required), CMD.EXE
> will exit.
Yes, this seems to work... and there should still be a trick for adding the
missing <cr> key code to the line, maybe a bit like:
doskey ^D="exit >nul | x"
[ x representing the <cr> key code ]
I guess a different, i.e. enhanced doskey replacement could allow this?
Or better: an additional program which emulates key codes?
Unfortunately I don't know any...
The only way in the past of getting <cr> to work properly for keyboard
macros was ANSI.SYS. Any other suggestions?

Greetings,

Svartsjel

* Re: assimilation cmd towards cygwin/bash
@ 2003-02-07 21:03 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2003-02-07 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: svartsjel, shankar; +Cc: cygwin

At 03:44 PM 2/7/2003, svartsjel@gmx.net wrote:
>Shankar Unni wrote:
> > As long as you don't mind hitting <CR> after the ^D, this seems to
> > work:
> >
> >    c:\> doskey ^D=exit
> >
> > Now, if you hit ^D<cr>  (the <cr> is unfortunately required), CMD.EXE
> > will exit.
>Yes, this seems to work... and there should still be a trick for adding the
>missing <cr> key code to the line, maybe a bit like:
>doskey ^D="exit >nul | x"
>[ x representing the <cr> key code ]
>I guess a different, i.e. enhanced doskey replacement could allow this?
>Or better: an additional program which emulates key codes?
>Unfortunately I don't know any...
>The only way in the past of getting <cr> to work properly for keyboard
>macros was ANSI.SYS. Any other suggestions?

Sounds to me like you're really looking for suggestions about cmd.exe
specifics and related Windows mechanisms.  I'm not sure this list is the
best one to direct such questions to, though perhaps someone here has an
idea how to do what you want.  If not, you might want to send the
specifics of your question to a more Windows-oriented list or group.
I'm sure there's some CMD.EXE evangelist list out there somewhere! ;-)

* Re: assimilation cmd towards cygwin/bash
@ 2003-02-07 17:06 ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2003-02-07 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-02-07 16:37 svartsjel
From: svartsjel @ 2003-02-07 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nigels; +Cc: cygwin

Nigel Steward wrote:
> Time to get used to left-button copy,
> middle-button paste. Once you get a
> grip on the that, you've been officially
> assimilated! :-)
>
> Put this line in your cygwin.bat...
>
> rxvt -sl 1000 -rv -geometry 120x30 +sr -e bash -i

Hi Nigel!

Well, this has nothing to do with the actual question I posted,
neither rxvt nor bash are the point:
I'm seeking a possibility to enhance the cmd.exe in order to allow
closing/exiting it via simple Ctrl+D - not more, and not less.
Any other ideas perhaps?

Regards,

Svartsjel

* Re: assimilation cmd towards cygwin/bash
@ 2003-02-06 22:22 ` Nigel Stewart & Fiona Smith
From: Nigel Stewart & Fiona Smith @ 2003-02-06 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: svartsjel; +Cc: cygwin

Time to get used to left-button copy,
middle-button paste.  Once you get a
grip on the that, you've been officially
assimilated! :-)

Put this line in your cygwin.bat...

rxvt -sl 1000 -rv -geometry 120x30 +sr -e bash -i

Cheers,

Nigel Stewart

* assimilation cmd towards cygwin/bash
@ 2003-02-04 16:45 svartsjel
From: svartsjel @ 2003-02-04 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I know, this won't be a real Cygwin question, well, anyway...
As I got quite used to Cygwin and Linux I began assimilating the cmd
console's look and feel towards Unix style (name completion, 'ls,la,ll'
instead of 'dir..' etc.).
Unfortunately, there's still one big, annoying MS-feature: one must
enter 'exit' in order to terminate the cmd console.
Well, I mapped a doskey macro to it, so 'Q-Enter' will also do, but I'm
accustomed to the shortcut 'Ctrl-D' (without 'Enter') and would like to
use this in conjunction with the cmd console as well.
Does anyone know whether this could be done in Windows XP?
I surmise, I once did a tweak ten years ago dealing with Windows 3.1 -
one could 'abuse' a system variable named WINPRMT to map the 'Esc' key
value ('Ctrl-P-Esc') to the 'exit >nul' command, so hitting Escape closed
the Dos console, it required ANSI.SYS to be loaded.
Any new suggestions for Windows XP?

Best wishes,

Svartsjel