From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com>
To: Eric Goforth <ewgoforth@netmcr.com>,
	"cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com" <cygwin@hotpop.com>
Subject: Re: No such file or directory
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 19:44:00 -0000	[thread overview]

At 05:43 PM 3/24/00, Eric Goforth wrote:
>I'm trying to compile the Remind utility to work under Cygwin.  I
>initially tried compiling it with the I've compiled it, and then tried
>"make install," but I'm getting a bunch of "No such file or directory"
>messages.  I created a /usr/local/man and /usr/local/bin directories.  I
>then tried doing another "make" and "make install."  Apparently, it
>compiled correctly?
>
>In the Readme.DOS file I am told the following:
>
>3 - If you are using Turbo C to compile Remind, type:
>
>         make -fmakefile.tc
>
>     If you are using Microsoft C to compile Remind, type:
>
>         make makefile.msc
>
>I considered trying to compile it with the  -mno-cygwin option and using
>one of these other makefiles.  I'm not much of a C programmer as I'm
>sure you can tell.
>
>BASH.EXE-2.02$ make
>
>*******************
>*                 *
>* Building REMIND *
>*                 *
>*******************
>
>make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>BASH.EXE-2.02$ ls
>ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS  config.cache      examples          tests
>COPYRIGHT         config.log        install-sh        unconfigure
>Makefile          config.status     man               www
>README            configure         remind.lsm
>WINDOWS           configure.in      scripts
>build.tk          docs              src
>BASH.EXE-2.02$ make install
>
>*********************
>*                   *
>* Installing REMIND *
>*                   *
>*********************
>
>cd src; make install
>for prog in remind rem2ps ./../scripts/kall ./../scripts/rem
>./../scripts/tkremi
>nd ./../scripts/cm2rem.tcl ; do \
>         /CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/install -c $prog /usr/local/bin ;
>\
>done
>/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/install: remind: No such file or directory
>/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/install: rem2ps: No such file or directory
>strip /usr/local/bin/remind
>strip: /usr/local/bin/remind: No such file or directory
>make[1]: [install] Error 1 (ignored)
>strip /usr/local/bin/rem2ps
>strip: /usr/local/bin/rem2ps: No such file or directory
>make[1]: [install] Error 1 (ignored)
>for man in ./../man/kall.1 ./../man/rem.1 ./../man/rem2ps.1
>./../man/remind.1 ./
>../man/tkremind.1 ./../man/cm2rem.1 ; do  \
>         /CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/install -c -m 644 $man
>/usr/local/man/man1
>  ; \
>done
>BASH.EXE-2.02$

Looks to me like your big problem is the install program which assumes the
UNIX convention of executables without extensions (.exe).  It looks for
remind and not remind.exe, which is what exists.  The solution?  There are
a few:

    1. Check the mail archives for this problem and download an updated
       install script that looks for executables with extensions (I forget
       exactly who created this install script and where you can get it from
       but its in the mail archives SOMEWHERE at least.  It may be at one of
       the "Ported Software" web sites pointed at from the Cygwin site too).

    2. Check out your makefile and see if there's a simple way to add the .exe
       suffix to the executable names that its looking for.  Many makefiles
       have a spot to define a "SUFFIX" variable that will tack on that
       character sequence to the end executable names it goes looking to
       install.  If "SUFFIX" does not exist, altering the makefile directly
       to add ".exe" to all the executable programs that its installing is
       also an option, albeit a little more typing.

    3. If you're building on NT, the last option is to simply remove the
       ".exe" from the executables built and rerun "make install".  The
       install will find the executables and install them properly.  They
       will run fine in bash, but DOS prompts/boxes will not run them, since
       they always need the extension to understand that its an executable.
       This is not an option for 9x as I understand it, since 9x doesn't
       know about executables if there's no extension to indicate it as such.

                                         (508) 560-1285 - cell phone