* Installing cygwin
@ 2000-10-04  5:16 Yusuf  Womiloju
From: Yusuf  Womiloju @ 2000-10-04  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,
I just installed Cywin, and whenever I click on the Cywin icon at the desktop, the bash window pops up entitled '/usr/bin'

[: /home/yusuf: binary operator expected
BASH.EXE: cd: /home/yusuf: No such file or directory

yusuf womiloju@30254440029 /usr/bin
$

All I need cywin for is C/C++ development.  How can I fix this problem

By the way, my name is Yusuf Womiloju.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: Installing cygwin
@ 2000-10-04  6:59 ` Chris Abbey
From: Chris Abbey @ 2000-10-04  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 06:39 10/4/00 -0800, Yusuf  Womiloju wrote:
>[: /home/yusuf: binary operator expected
>BASH.EXE: cd: /home/yusuf: No such file or directory
>
>yusuf womiloju@30254440029 /usr/bin
>$

it looks like your windows userid has a space in it... this causes
a lot of problems in the *nix world. I believe there is a FAQ entry
on the website that talks about how to fix this if you aren't sure
how to proceed in fixing that.

* Re: Installing Cygwin
       [not found] <loom.20090608T144307-591@post.gmane.org>
@ 2009-06-08 18:59 ` Morgan Gangwere
From: Morgan Gangwere @ 2009-06-08 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

TIOTTL'd (Take It Off The Talk List'd)
Run the installer on a machine with the appropriate connection.
The installer has an option to "Just Download Packages"
Set the download directory somewhere you can move around (I burn it to
DVD/CD most of the time) and select the packages you need. Move to the
other side (machine to have Cygwin installed) and run the installer.
Point it at the local files. install. Its Not Hard.

--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.

* Re: Installing cygwin
@ 2004-09-08 18:50 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-09-08 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S.H Long, cygwin

At 11:45 AM 9/8/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have just installed the latest full version cygwin on winxp. The root directory is "c:\cygwin\"
>

>Now whenever I start cygwin I get this,
>
>Your group is currently "mkpasswd".  This indicates that
>the /etc/passwd (and possibly /etc/group) files should be rebuilt.
>See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
>mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
>mkgroup  -l [-d] > /etc/group
>Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.
>
>long@COMP ~
>$ pwd
>/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/long
>
>long@COMP ~
>$
>
>How do I set the HOME path in cygwin to "c:\cygwin\home\username\", please provide a detailed explanation as I am new to this. And what is the mkpasswd about?

If you follow the directions given about 'mkpasswd', you'll probably
find your HOME path resolves itself.  If not, visit

for guidelines on reporting problems to the list.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Installing cygwin
@ 2004-09-08 16:31 S.H Long
From: S.H Long @ 2004-09-08 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I have just installed the latest full version cygwin on winxp. The root
directory is "c:\cygwin\"

Now whenever I start cygwin I get this,

Your group is currently "mkpasswd".  This indicates that
the /etc/passwd (and possibly /etc/group) files should be rebuilt.
See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
mkgroup  -l [-d] > /etc/group
Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.

long@COMP ~
$ pwd
/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/long

long@COMP ~
$

How do I set the HOME path in cygwin to "c:\cygwin\home\username\", please
provide a detailed explanation as I am new to this. And what is the mkpasswd
about?

Please email your reply to me in-addition to the mailing list.

Thanks for any help.

* Re: Installing cygwin
@ 2002-09-02 19:47 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-09-02 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 02:25:23AM +0000, Scottie Bruce wrote:
>I'm attempting to install on Windows XP and have encountered some screens
>not listed in the installation tutorials.  Can you help?

Tutorials?

cgf

* Installing cygwin
@ 2002-09-02 19:25 Scottie Bruce
From: Scottie Bruce @ 2002-09-02 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm attempting to install on Windows XP and have encountered some screens
not listed in the installation tutorials.  Can you help?

Scott