* [Auto tool wrappers] The usage for "ifnames" ??
@ 2004-02-20  0:52 Alvyn Liang
From: Alvyn Liang @ 2004-02-20  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I read the book "GCC: The complete reference" by Arthur Griffith...
In this book it says no example about how to actually use the autoconf
package..

There is a line says about how to execute the command "ifnames" and the
functionality of it. I also read the manpage of ifnames
but still get confused.

When I input

$ ifnames *.c *.h

it comes

ifnames: invalid number of arguments
Try `ifnames --help' for more information.

And if I input

$ ifnames

becomes

ifnames: Couldn't find configure.ac nor configure.in file
run /usr/auto*/bin/ifnames directly

Can somebody give me an example about how to use it and what kind of
requisite is it for the usage?

Thanks

Alvyn

* Re: [Auto tool wrappers] The usage for "ifnames" ??
@ 2004-02-20  7:02 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2004-02-20  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Alvyn Liang wrote:

> Can somebody give me an example about how to use it and what kind of
> requisite is it for the usage?

I can do better: see http://www.

http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

It's a little out of date, especially with respect to cygwin, but only
because cygwin is much more similar to Unix now than it was.  This book
is still the best reference on the autotools extant.

--
Chuck