From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru>
To: L A Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org>, cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: rename a user using setfacl -- possible? how?
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 09:05:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Greetings, L A Walsh!

>>> THAT is a problem. A big problem.
>>>
> ----
>     Forgot to get back on this.  But why would the above be a problem.
> It never
> used to be and I have found it to be very useful.

I though so too, back when I was using Windows XP.
But since then, I'm content with "/" cygdrive prefix. It's all that is needed.

>>> Try it sometime. They do.
>>>

>> Try:
>> $ id user|group
>> and see below for getent nsswitch changes suggested.
>>
> ----
>     I tried the above, BTW, and was surprised at the changes!

>     Had a related question.  I made changes to my /etc/password and
> /etc/group
> files.  I seem to remember how those files were read by cygwin when it
> was first starting, but I don't remember how to propagate changes in
> those files into
> cygwin.  Is there a way to send a command to one of the demons to reread
> those files?

They are read by the leading process in the tree, or if you are using
cygserver, that one may also cache them.
So, restart cygserver and all cygwin processes you have running.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...