Both 'man diff' and 'diff --help' refer to the parameter --tabsize as follows: --tabsize=NUM Tab stops are every NUM (default 8) print columns. But this seems to be broken: $ echo -e "\t\tfilea" > filea; echo "\t\t\tfileb" > fileb; diff --tabsize=4 filea fileb diff: option `--tabsize' doesn't allow an argument diff: Try `diff --help' for more information. Other variations do not work either: $ diff --tabsize 4 filea fileb Segmentation fault (core dumped) I have tried these commands with both POSIXLY_CORRECT=1 and with it unset, it appears to make no difference. This is with the latest version of diffutils: $ cygcheck -c diffutils Cygwin Package Information Package Version Status diffutils 2.8.4-1 OK My output of "cygcheck -svr" is attached. Brian