* problems with cygwin
@ 2004-05-05 23:56 Tarun Sharma
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tarun Sharma @ 2004-05-05 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi
I have just installed cygwin on my Win XP system. But when I try to start
windowmaker then it justs says cant start x-server at 127.0.0.1:0.0 . I
tried few more things but couldnt succeed.
Ihe porblem I am thinking is related to some configuration. I also tried to
run XWin. which is running.And xterm can be connected to this.
Can anybody help me in this problem.
Some other question I want to ask is :
1. Can we have different users for cygwin. Because it just added one icon in
start menu by which I can just run cygwin's bash shell.

2. Some of the commands like more is not working on my system. I tried to
search it in /usr/bin but its not there.

Please update me about these problems
regards
-tarun

* Re: [SPAM] problems with cygwin
@ 2004-05-06  1:26 ` Hitanshu Gandhi
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0405060652410.30563-100000@yamuna.cse.iitd.e rnet.in>
From: Hitanshu Gandhi @ 2004-05-06  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tarun Sharma; +Cc: cygwin

Hi Tarun,

	I havent installed WMaker on CygWin, so wont comment on that. You
should've attached a more descriptive log though.

1. Cygwin install asks you for install for 'All Users'/ only
Administrator. That icon is typically in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu (or similar)

2. 'Some of the commands?' Only those packages which you selected have
been installed. Install the needed ones. Here is a output from my term:
[ H -dash- G On yamuna ~] which more
/bin/more
[ H -dash- G On yamuna ~] rpm -qf /bin/more
util-linux-2.11r-10
util-linux-2.11y-9

These are the cygwin packages you'd need.

HTH

--
Regards,

Hitanshu
-*-*-*-*-
'Wenn Sie nicht Deutsches verstehen können, warum sind Sie Stille lebendig?'

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Tarun Sharma wrote:

> Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 01:56:17 +0200
> From: Tarun Sharma <tarun.sharma@pandora.be>
> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
> Subject: [SPAM] problems with cygwin
>
> SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results ----------------------
> SPAM: This mail is probably spam.  The original message has been altered
> SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
> SPAM: See http://spamassassin.org/tag/ for more details.
> SPAM:
> SPAM: Content analysis details:   (5.6 hits, 5 required)
> SPAM: UNSUB_PAGE         (2.6 points)  URI: URL of page called "unsubscribe"
> SPAM: ROUND_THE_WORLD    (3.0 points)  Received: says mail bounced all around the world
> SPAM:
> SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results ---------------------
>
> Hi
> I have just installed cygwin on my Win XP system. But when I try to start
> windowmaker then it justs says cant start x-server at 127.0.0.1:0.0 . I
> tried few more things but couldnt succeed.
> Ihe porblem I am thinking is related to some configuration. I also tried to
> run XWin. which is running.And xterm can be connected to this.
> Can anybody help me in this problem.
> Some other question I want to ask is :
> 1. Can we have different users for cygwin. Because it just added one icon in
> start menu by which I can just run cygwin's bash shell.
>
> 2. Some of the commands like more is not working on my system. I tried to
> search it in /usr/bin but its not there.
>
> Please update me about these problems
> regards
> -tarun
>

> --

* Re: problems with cygwin
@ 2004-05-06  1:42 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-05-06  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tarun Sharma, cygwin

At 07:56 PM 5/5/2004, you wrote:
>Hi
>I have just installed cygwin on my Win XP system. But when I try to start
>windowmaker then it justs says cant start x-server at 127.0.0.1:0.0 . I
>tried few more things but couldnt succeed.
>Ihe porblem I am thinking is related to some configuration. I also tried to
>run XWin. which is running.And xterm can be connected to this.
>Can anybody help me in this problem.

This kind of question should really be directed to the Cygwin/X list,
assuming information from <http://x.cygwin.com/devel/documentation/>
doesn't help.

>Some other question I want to ask is :
>1. Can we have different users for cygwin. Because it just added one icon in
>start menu by which I can just run cygwin's bash shell.

If you installed Cygwin as "All Users", then you can easily use the same
icon to start 'bash' as any user.  If you didn't install as "All Users",
you can rerun 'setup' and make this change.

>2. Some of the commands like more is not working on my system. I tried to
>search it in /usr/bin but its not there.

See <http://cygwin.com/packages/>.  But I think you'll really find that
'less' is a better choice.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: problems with cygwin
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0405060652410.30563-100000@yamuna.cse.iitd.e rnet.in>
@ 2004-05-06  2:06     ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-05-06  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hitanshu Gandhi, Tarun Sharma; +Cc: cygwin

At 09:26 PM 5/5/2004, you wrote:
>Hi Tarun,
>
>    I havent installed WMaker on CygWin, so wont comment on that. You
>should've attached a more descriptive log though.
>
>1. Cygwin install asks you for install for 'All Users'/ only
>Administrator. That icon is typically in
>C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu (or similar)
>
>2. 'Some of the commands?' Only those packages which you selected have
>been installed. Install the needed ones. Here is a output from my term:
>[ H -dash- G On yamuna ~] which more
>/bin/more
>[ H -dash- G On yamuna ~] rpm -qf /bin/more
>util-linux-2.11r-10
>util-linux-2.11y-9
>
>These are the cygwin packages you'd need.

Huh?  Those are not Cygwin packages.  There is a 'more' package available
via 'setup' which provides '/bin/more' for Cygwin if the OP must have
'more' in addition to 'less' (which is installed by default).

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: problems with cygwin
@ 2004-05-06  6:45       ` Tarun Sharma
From: Tarun Sharma @ 2004-05-06  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List, Hitanshu Gandhi; +Cc: cygwin

Hi
I have attached the error I am getting.
But I have installed windowmaker. Everything seems to be fine till this
point.But the problem happening when I am running it.
please let me know if these errors helps you
regards
tarun

taruns@CPQ17609137331 ~
$ startx

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.7.0.0-8

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

XWin was started with the following command line:

X :0 -multiwindow -clipboard

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
winValidateArgs - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000007
winSetEngine - Multi Window or Rootless => ShadowGDI
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per
pixel
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 1024 height: 734 depth: 32
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp
32
null screen fn ReparentWindow
null screen fn RestackWindow
InitQueue - Calling pthread_mutex_init
InitQueue - pthread_mutex_init returned
InitQueue - Calling pthread_cond_init
InitQueue - pthread_cond_init returned
winInitMultiWindowWM - Hello
winInitMultiWindowWM - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Hello
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of
shar
ed memory support in the kernel
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00020409" (00020409)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "English (USA, International)" (20409), type
"4"
Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc105" Layout = "us_intl" Variant = "(null)" Options
= "
(null)"
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
from li
st!
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 512 367
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
cat: /home/taruns/.Xauthority: No such file or directory
winInitClipboard ()
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows NT/2000/XP
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the
disp
lay.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened
the di
splay.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the
display.

wmaker fatal error: it seems that there is already a window manager running

waiting for X server to shut down winClipboardProc - Call to select ()
failed: -
1.  Bailing.
winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.

winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

> >    I havent installed WMaker on CygWin, so wont comment on that. You
> >should've attached a more descriptive log though.
> >
> >1. Cygwin install asks you for install for 'All Users'/ only
> >Administrator. That icon is typically in
> >C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu (or similar)
> >
> >2. 'Some of the commands?' Only those packages which you selected have
> >been installed. Install the needed ones. Here is a output from my term:
> >[ H -dash- G On yamuna ~] which more
> >/bin/more
> >[ H -dash- G On yamuna ~] rpm -qf /bin/more
> >util-linux-2.11r-10
> >util-linux-2.11y-9
> >
> >These are the cygwin packages you'd need.
>

> Huh?  Those are not Cygwin packages.  There is a 'more' package available
> via 'setup' which provides '/bin/more' for Cygwin if the OP must have
> 'more' in addition to 'less' (which is installed by default).
>

> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746
>

> --

* Re: problems with cygwin
@ 2004-05-06 12:40 ` Ken Dibble
From: Ken Dibble @ 2004-05-06 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Tarun Sharma wrote:

>Hi
>I have just installed cygwin on my Win XP system. But when I try to start
>windowmaker then it justs says cant start x-server at 127.0.0.1:0.0 . I
>tried few more things but couldnt succeed.
>Ihe porblem I am thinking is related to some configuration. I also tried to
>run XWin. which is running.And xterm can be connected to this.
>Can anybody help me in this problem.

Are you using the startXWin.bat file?  Trying to run multiple window
managers concurrently?
If memory serves the people in this list usually refer you to the
cygwin-xfree mailing list. (per http://cygwin.com/lists.html)

>Some other question I want to ask is :
>1. Can we have different users for cygwin. Because it just added one icon in
>start menu by which I can just run cygwin's bash shell.

Yes

>2. Some of the commands like more is not working on my system. I tried to
>search it in /usr/bin but its not there.

per Larry Hall:

I expect you really want 'less' but either way, visit
<http://cygwin.com/packages/> to determine the package you should install
to get the utility you want.  This works for all utilities. ;-)

--

>Please update me about these problems
>regards
>-tarun

Proper problem reporting here:
http://cygwin.com/problems.html

* Re: problems with cygwin
@ 2004-05-09 19:43       ` Hitanshu Gandhi
From: Hitanshu Gandhi @ 2004-05-09 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List; +Cc: Tarun Sharma

Hello,

	These are definitely not CygWin packages. But personally, I've
been installing some packages by merely extracting the .tar.bz2 files at
the right locations. I just download the :
http://ftp.iitm.ac.in/cygwin/release/more/more-2.11o-1.tar.bz2
and install. I mention this, because usually the linux rpms and Cygwin
packages have similar names. I just gave it as an example to Tarun's query
that some of the commands are not installed.

	I use mine to download a bunch of packages at the lab,and extract
them from CD at home. The setup.exe is the usual method!

--
Regards,

Hitanshu
-*-*-*-*-

@ 2004-05-09 23:43         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-05-09 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 05:57:42PM +0530, Hitanshu Gandhi wrote:
>These are definitely not CygWin packages.  But personally, I've been
>installing some packages by merely extracting the .tar.bz2 files at the
>right locations.  I just download the :
>http://ftp.iitm.ac.in/cygwin/release/more/more-2.11o-1.tar.bz2 and
>install.  I mention this, because usually the linux rpms and Cygwin
>packages have similar names.  I just gave it as an example to Tarun's
>query that some of the commands are not installed.

I don't see how telling someone to run rpm is ever going to be useful
advice on cygwin until and unless cygwin starts using rpm in its
packaging.  So, sorry but you just confuse the issue by mentioning it.

Also, unless you really know what you're doing, you shouldn't be just
extracting the tar.bz2 files.  The files may contain postinstall
components which will not be executed if you just extract them.  Also,
you will end up confusing the rudimentary package database, making it
hard to receive accurate support if you ever need it here.

If you think you know what you're doing, that's fine.  I just don't
want this advice to be sitting in the archives without an accompanying
caveat.

cgf

* Re: problems with cygwin
@ 2004-05-06 15:55 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-05-06 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 07:53:45AM -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
>Try removing the -multiwindow parameter to XWin

Please move this to the cygwin-xfree mailing list.

>-
>> XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
>>
>> wmaker fatal error: it seems that there is already a window
>> manager running
>>
>> waiting for X server to shut down winClipboardProc - Call to select ()
>> failed: -
>> 1.  Bailing.
>> winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.
>>
>> winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

* RE: problems with cygwin
@ 2004-05-06 12:10 Reid Thompson
From: Reid Thompson @ 2004-05-06 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tarun Sharma, Cygwin List, Hitanshu Gandhi; +Cc: cygwin

Try removing the -multiwindow parameter to XWin

reid

-

@ 2003-04-25 14:34 ` Vince Hoffman
From: Vince Hoffman @ 2003-04-25 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poseso soy yo, cygwin

The B20 distro is about 3 ? years old. got to www.cygwin.com and install a
new version. then maybe someone can help.

From: poseso soy yo @ 2003-04-25 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-06-13  9:24 ` Carl Thompson
From: Carl Thompson @ 2000-06-13  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David DiSalvo; +Cc: Cygwin List

David DiSalvo wrote:

> I installed cygwin but when I try to run it, I get the following error
> messages.
>
> Out of environment space
> Too many parameters
> Bad command or file name
>
> I have installed cygwin on a PC running windows 98.
> It was running just a few days ago but now it does not.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I don't remember this being in the FAQ (maybe it should be?).  Try adding
the line

   SHELL=command.com /e:2048

to your config.sys and reboot.  I think.

> Dave DiSalvo

Carl Thompson

* Re: problems with cygwin
@ 2000-06-13  9:19 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-13  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: rdparker

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 07:22:54AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>This is a standard windows problem.  I believe there is an entry in the
>FAQ or you could visit the Microsoft Help Center.

Actually I thought that Ron Parker had solved this particular annoyance
by doing something in setup.exe.

Can you comment on this, Ron?  Am I misremembering?

cgf

>Earnie.
>--- David DiSalvo <disalvo@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
>>I installed cygwin but when I try to run it, I get the following error
>>messages.
>>
>>Out of environment space Too many parameters Bad command or file name
>>
>>I have installed cygwin on a PC running windows 98.  It was running
>>just a few days ago but now it does not.  Any help would be greatly
>>appreciated.  Thanks

* Re: problems with cygwin
@ 2000-06-13  7:22 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-13  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David DiSalvo, cygwin

This is a standard windows problem.  I believe there is an entry in the FAQ or
you could visit the Microsoft Help Center.

Earnie.
--- David DiSalvo <disalvo@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
> I installed cygwin but when I try to run it, I get the following error
> messages.
>
> Out of environment space
> Too many parameters
> Bad command or file name
>
> I have installed cygwin on a PC running windows 98.
> It was running just a few days ago but now it does not.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
>
> Dave DiSalvo
>

> --

=====
---