* Re: How to install QT in CYGWIN
@ 2009-09-06 11:48 Pok Wilson
From: Pok Wilson @ 2009-09-06 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>What's wrong with startxwin.bat or startxwin.sh?

I am able to run either startxwin.bat or startxwin.sh successfully.

>>My WAG is DISPLAY isn't set. Using one of the scripts above handles all this for you
>>when you start the server, at least if you're working from the same shell as you
>>indicate in your demonstration above.

Now i get to see a server x windows pop up with a white backgroud and a command prompt.
How can I start to use QT4 in Cygwin?

      Get your new Email address!

* Re: How to install QT in CYGWIN
@ 2009-09-04 15:01 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-09-04 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 09/04/2009 06:09 AM, Pok Wilson wrote:
> I have installed qt4 tools from ftp://sourceware.org/pub/cygwinports
>
> How can I run the qt designer?
>
> I can start server by the following command
> "X -screen 0 1024x768x16 -engine 4 -ac&  "

What's wrong with startxwin.bat or startxwin.sh?

> A Cygwin/X:0.0 window pops up. Now what do I do next??
> I tried to enter
> designer-qt4&
>
> User@user ~
> $ X -screen 0 1024x768x16 -engine 4 -ac&
> [1] 5180
> User@user ~
> $ designer-qt4&
> [2] 5080
> User@user ~
> $
>
> And yet nothing happens. How can I run the designer so i can design my GUI?

My WAG is DISPLAY isn't set.  Using one of the scripts above handles all
this for you
when you start the server, at least if you're working from the same shell as
you
indicate in your demonstration above.

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

@ 2009-09-04 10:09 Pok Wilson
From: Pok Wilson @ 2009-09-04 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have installed qt4 tools from ftp://sourceware.org/pub/cygwinports

How can I run the qt designer?

I can start server by the following command
"X -screen 0 1024x768x16 -engine 4 -ac & "

A Cygwin/X:0.0 window pops up. Now what do I do next??
I tried to enter
designer-qt4 &

User@user ~
$ X -screen 0 1024x768x16 -engine 4 -ac &
[1] 5180
User@user ~
$ designer-qt4 &
[2] 5080
User@user ~
$

And yet nothing happens. How can I run the designer so i can design my GUI?

      New Email names for you!
Hurry before someone else does!

* Re: How to install QT in CYGWIN
@ 2009-09-01 23:54 Pok Wilson
From: Pok Wilson @ 2009-09-01 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 25/08/2009 11:19, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 08/25/2009 04:28 AM, Pok Wilson wrote:
>I am intending to use QT4.5.3 to create my GUI.
4.5.3? The latest upstream release is 4.5.2.
        Sorry my mistake, you're right its QT 4.5.2.

I'm no QT expert (and I actually haven't even touched it in years) but
>from what I can see, only QT3 is available as part of the release.

Correct.

><http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-apps/2007-07/msg00125.html>
I did manage to get Qt4 working some time ago. Cygwin Ports provides Qt 4.4.3 for Cygwin 1.5 and 4.5.2 for 1.7.
Not sure how far he got, since Cygwin Ports (cygwinports.dotsrc.org)
>isn't accessible to me at the moment. So perhaps there is a QT4
>
> floating around for Cygwin 1.5.x on that site. If not,
you'd have to build it yourself.
SunSITE stopped their project hosting some time ago; Ports' new home is: http://cygwinports.org/
            I went to the cygwinports website. As I am quite new to this, I dont really understand what to do. There are some steps to follow.

	1.     Use the current Cygwin setup.exe.
	2.     Launch setup.exe, and Download Without Installing from your favourite Cygwin mirror as normal.
	3.     Launch setup.exe again with the -X flag and choose Download Without Installing.
	4.     Add and select ftp://sourceware.org/pub/cygwinports (or a sourceware mirror) in the mirror list.
	5.     Select the packages of your choice and their dependencies and updates for download.
	6.     From a Cygwin shell, run this command:
    sed -i -e "/^setup-timestamp:/ s/ \(.*\)/ $(date +%s)/" \
    "$(cygpath -u "$(cat /etc/setup/last-cache)")/ftp%3a%2f%2fsourceware.org%2fpub%2fcygwinports/setup.ini"
	7.     Launch setup.exe once more and Install from Local Directory.
    I'm stuck at point number 3. How do i lauch setup again with the -X flag?

    So is it after following this steps i can install QT4 in Cygwin? If it is possible, can someone who has done this before provide a step-by step instructions on     exactly what i must do?

Yaakov
Cygwin Ports

I'm just curious that nowadays applications are all GUI.. I was thinking many people will be facing this same issue as me.. How do you guys compile GUI application in Cygwin?

Please note that Ports packages are supported on their own mailing list.

And to answer the inevitable question: I can't ITP this yet because there are a number of dependencies still missing from the distro.

            Where can I still get QT 3 if QT 4 fails?

@ 2009-08-25 21:30   ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2009-08-25 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2009-08-25 17:31   ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2009-08-25 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 08/25/2009 04:28 AM, Pok Wilson wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> I have successfully compliled command prompt application in for
>> Windows platform using cygwin (1.5.25-15). I need to use cygwin as my
>> program requires Unix header files and only cygwin allows me to
>> compile my program in a Windows environment.
>>
>> Now i need to improve my program to make it a GUI application. And
>> this is where I need help.
>>
>> I am intending to use QT4.5.3 to create my GUI. And I have read about
>> installin QT in cygwin to do that. After reading all the archives, I
>> am really confused. I need some clear instructions on how it can be down.
>>
>> Is it possible for you to guide me in achieving this? I need to
>> install QT in cygwin so that I can make my command prompt application
>> to become a GUI application.
>> I am using QT because it is able to create GUI application for Windows
>> and Linux platforms. And more importantly QT is WYSIWYG which makes
>> creating a GUI application simpler.
>>
>> I would definitely accept other suggestions to achieve my objective if
>> there are other alternatives. Thanks in advance for your help
>>
>> Platform: Windows XP Professional
>> Compiler: cygwin (1.5.25-15)
>
> 1.5.25-15 is the version of the "cygwin" package.  The compiler (gcc)
> version is 3.4.4 for the
> 1.5.x release of Cygwin.
>
> I'm no QT expert (and I actually haven't even touched it in years) but
> from what I can see,
> only QT3 is available as part of the release.  There is this message
> from Yaakov a while
> back about QT4:
>
> <http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-apps/2007-07/msg00125.html>
>
> Not sure how far he got, since Cygwin Ports (cygwinports.dotsrc.org)
> isn't accessible to me at
> the moment.  So perhaps there is a QT4 floating around for Cygwin 1.5.x
> on that site.  If not,
> you'd have to build it yourself.

Beware that Yaakov's Qt is for X Windows, not the native Qt.

If you install from Trolltech it includes MinGW, which is far from being
as complete a development environment as Cygwin but, if you don't need
other development libraries will do just fine (usually it is much more
complicated).

An alternative is cross-building from Linux, take a look at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW
--
René Berber

* Re: How to install QT in CYGWIN
@ 2009-08-25 16:20 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-08-25 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/25/2009 04:28 AM, Pok Wilson wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I have successfully compliled command prompt application in for Windows platform using cygwin (1.5.25-15). I need to use cygwin as my program requires Unix header files and only cygwin allows me to compile my program in a Windows environment.
>
> Now i need to improve my program to make it a GUI application. And this is where I need help.
>
> I am intending to use QT4.5.3 to create my GUI. And I have read about installin QT in cygwin to do that. After reading all the archives, I am really confused. I need some clear instructions on how it can be down.
>
> Is it possible for you to guide me in achieving this? I need to install QT in cygwin so that I can make my command prompt application to become a GUI application.
> I am using QT because it is able to create GUI application for Windows and Linux platforms. And more importantly QT is WYSIWYG which makes creating a GUI application simpler.
>
> I would definitely accept other suggestions to achieve my objective if there are other alternatives. Thanks in advance for your help
>
> Platform: Windows XP Professional
> Compiler: cygwin (1.5.25-15)

1.5.25-15 is the version of the "cygwin" package.  The compiler (gcc)
version is 3.4.4 for the
1.5.x release of Cygwin.

I'm no QT expert (and I actually haven't even touched it in years) but from
what I can see,
only QT3 is available as part of the release.  There is this message from
Yaakov a while
back about QT4:

<http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-apps/2007-07/msg00125.html>

Not sure how far he got, since Cygwin Ports (cygwinports.dotsrc.org) isn't
accessible to me at
the moment.  So perhaps there is a QT4 floating around for Cygwin 1.5.x on
that site.  If not,
you'd have to build it yourself.

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

[...]