* library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
@ 2004-11-11  5:21 Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2004-11-11  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Getting this warning:

libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.

$ cat /usr/lib/libncurses.la
[...]
# Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
libdir='/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib'

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
@ 2004-11-11  9:02 ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2004-11-11  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
> Getting this warning:
>
> libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
>
> $ cat /usr/lib/libncurses.la
> [...]
> # Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
> libdir='/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib'

We should really add some kind of .la test to our gbs.
Or maybe into setup.exe, for those people who already have their gbs
customized or not using it?
Or provide a gbs-library?
   It would be easier to upgrade then.

I had a lot such "broken" .la's, which forced me to post my fixups last
month of a couple of such .la's. libcurl also.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

* Re: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
@ 2004-11-11 12:25   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2004-11-11 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Reini Urban wrote:
> Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
>
>> Getting this warning:
>>
>> libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
>>
>> $ cat /usr/lib/libncurses.la
>> [...]
>> # Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
>> libdir='/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib'
>

> We should really add some kind of .la test to our gbs.
> Or maybe into setup.exe, for those people who already have their gbs
> customized or not using it?

Naah, it is a libtool bug, for sure.  Sanity check is good, but it
shouldn't be neccessary.

> Or provide a gbs-library?
>   It would be easier to upgrade then.

I don't get this point.  Would you explain, please?

> I had a lot such "broken" .la's, which forced me to post my fixups last
> month of a couple of such .la's. libcurl also.

Wrong libtool version...;)

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
@ 2004-11-11 13:11     ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2004-11-11 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
> Reini Urban wrote:
>> Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
>>> Getting this warning:
>>>
>>> libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
>>>
>>> $ cat /usr/lib/libncurses.la
>>> [...]
>>> # Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
>>> libdir='/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib'
>>

>> We should really add some kind of .la test to our gbs.
>> Or maybe into setup.exe, for those people who already have their gbs
>> customized or not using it?
>
> Naah, it is a libtool bug, for sure.  Sanity check is good, but it
> shouldn't be neccessary.
>
>> Or provide a gbs-library?
>>   It would be easier to upgrade then.

 > I don't get this point.  Would you explain, please?

Modularization of the gbs:
Provide a central place for some common gbs functions, like
/usr/share/cygwin/gbs-functions.sh, which would be sourced by each build
script.
Any updates on this library will help all build scripts.
Currently you have to fix/update every single instance.
I'm thinking of functions which are very likely not touched.

The init step which parses the PKG/VER/REL, the name defaults,
install_docs, mkdirs, prep, autoreconf, reconf, mkpatch, build, certain
install steps, strip, list, depend, requires, pkg, spkg, finish,
sigfile, checksig, ...
But it's good to have some sane defaults which will get inherited to all
new and old build scripts your are working with.

>> I had a lot such "broken" .la's, which forced me to post my fixups
>> last month of a couple of such .la's. libcurl also.
>
> Wrong libtool version...;)

But not on my side. Certain wrong devel packages install strange la's
into /lib. I hope mine are correct.
--

@ 2004-11-11 21:24 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2004-11-11 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Getting this warning:
>
> libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
>
> $ cat /usr/lib/libncurses.la
> [...]
> # Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
> libdir='/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib'

Hmm....sorry I missed that.  ncurses is weird; it uses libtool but not
automake, so DESTDIR installs are tricky.  I'll try to roll a new
release next week sometime.  In the meantime, just change the line to
the obvious

libdir='/usr/lib'

You'll also need to change "dependency_libs" as well -- and these
modifications go for all of the ncurses .la files:

libpanel.la
libmenu.la
libform.la
libncurses.la
libncurses++.la

--
Chuck

* Re: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
@ 2004-11-12  7:39   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2004-11-12  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Getting this warning:
>>
>> libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
>>
>> $ cat /usr/lib/libncurses.la
>> [...]
>> # Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
>> libdir='/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib'
>

> Hmm....sorry I missed that.  ncurses is weird; it uses libtool but not
> automake, so DESTDIR installs are tricky.  I'll try to roll a new
> release next week sometime.  In the meantime, just change the line to
> the obvious
>

> libdir='/usr/lib'
>
> You'll also need to change "dependency_libs" as well -- and these
> modifications go for all of the ncurses .la files:
>
> libpanel.la
> libmenu.la
> libform.la
> libncurses.la
> libncurses++.la

It is not really a problem since the linker finds the libraries anyway,
maybe just the generated .la files are wrong though.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
@ 2004-11-12 11:04   ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2004-11-12 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

Charles Wilson schrieb:
> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>> Getting this warning:
>>
>> libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
>>
>> $ cat /usr/lib/libncurses.la
>> [...]
>> # Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
>> libdir='/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib'
>

> Hmm....sorry I missed that.  ncurses is weird; it uses libtool but not
> automake, so DESTDIR installs are tricky.  I'll try to roll a new
> release next week sometime.  In the meantime, just change the line to
> the obvious
>

> libdir='/usr/lib'
>
> You'll also need to change "dependency_libs" as well -- and these
> modifications go for all of the ncurses .la files:
>
> libpanel.la
> libmenu.la
> libform.la
> libncurses.la
> libncurses++.la

this should fix all those .la's:

zcat /etc/setup/libncurses-devel.lst.gz | grep "\.la$" | \
   (cd /; xargs perl -pi.orig \
-e 's|/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.build/lib|/lib|g;
     s|/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib|/usr/lib|g' )

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

* ncurses update pending? (was: Re: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la'  was moved.)
@ 2005-07-03  1:22     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-03  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Charles,

> In November *2004* Charles Wilson wrote:
>
>> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Getting this warning:
>>>
>>> libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/lib/libncurses.la' was moved.
>>>
>>> $ cat /usr/lib/libncurses.la
>>> [...]
>>> # Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
>>> libdir='/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib'
>>

>> Hmm....sorry I missed that.  ncurses is weird; it uses libtool but not
>> automake, so DESTDIR installs are tricky.  I'll try to roll a new
>> release next week sometime.  In the meantime, just change the line to
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                               hear, hear.

>> the obvious
>>

>> libdir='/usr/lib'
>>
>> You'll also need to change "dependency_libs" as well -- and these
>> modifications go for all of the ncurses .la files:
>>
>> libpanel.la
>> libmenu.la
>> libform.la
>> libncurses.la
>> libncurses++.la
>

> It is not really a problem since the linker finds the libraries anyway,
> maybe just the generated .la files are wrong though.

Well, it is a problem when building PHP because they use thier own
special system:

libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/lib/libpanel.la' was moved.
grep: /usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib/libncurses.la: No such
file or directory
/usr/bin/sed: can't read
/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib/libncurses.la: No such file
or directory
libtool: link:
`/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.inst/usr/lib/libncurses.la' is not a
valid libtool archive
make: *** [ext/ncurses/ncurses.la] Error 1

Reini wrote:
> this should fix all those .la's:

was missing a /usr, this is better:

zcat /etc/setup/libncurses-devel.lst.gz | grep "\.la$" | \
   (cd /; xargs perl -pi.orig \
    -e 's|/usr/src/ncurses/ncurses-5.4/.build/lib|/usr/lib|g; \