* Re: setup problem persistent?
@ 2004-12-17 17:04 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2004-12-17 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: fergus, vogt

> There was a hint on this list to first install it
> without the X11 stuff. This indeed seems to work partially.
> However, when I install everything except the X11 section,
> some postinstall scripts will complain about missing DLLs.

> This is not nice.

Since the recent emergence of xorg-related problems I've achieved
complete glitchless installations in two stages as
	(i) "Base" (Default)
followed immediately by
	(ii) the rest (click on Default to change to Install).
There's no need to choose anything, worry about dependencies (or
even think).

Fergus

* Re: setup problem persistent?
@ 2004-12-17 17:45 ` Harald Vogt
From: Harald Vogt @ 2004-12-17 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fergus Daly; +Cc: cygwin

Fergus Daly wrote:
> Since the recent emergence of xorg-related problems I've achieved
> complete glitchless installations in two stages as
> 	(i) "Base" (Default)
> followed immediately by
> 	(ii) the rest (click on Default to change to Install).
> There's no need to choose anything, worry about dependencies (or
> even think).
>
> Fergus

I can verify this. It works smoothly. Thanks a lot for the hint!

I think I can keep my sleeves rolled down for now... ;-)

Harald

* RE: setup problem persistent?
@ 2004-12-18  3:22 ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2004-12-18  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > There was a hint on this list to first install it without the X11
> > stuff. This indeed seems to work partially.
> > However, when I install everything except the X11 section, some
> > postinstall scripts will complain about missing DLLs.
>
> > This is not nice.
>
> Since the recent emergence of xorg-related problems I've
> achieved complete glitchless installations in two stages as
> 	(i) "Base" (Default)
> followed immediately by
> 	(ii) the rest (click on Default to change to Install).
> There's no need to choose anything, worry about dependencies
> (or even think).
>
> Fergus

You had me at "no need to think".

;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

* Re: setup problem persistent?
@ 2004-12-17 15:35 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-12-17 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 04:32:50PM +0100, Harald Vogt wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>When I'm trying to make a full cygwin install on a freshly setup XP
>machine (1 GB RAM, 3 GHz), at some point setup.exe will start eating
>more and more system resources and get finally killed.
>
>The point where this usually happens is the xorg-x11-etc package, file
>/etc/X11/app-defaults/Bitmap. The CPU load goes to 50% and the commit
>charge (visible in the windows task monitor) goes rapidly up.
>
>There was a hint on this list to first install it without the X11 stuff.
>This indeed seems to work partially. However, when I install everything
>except the X11 section, some postinstall scripts will complain about
>missing DLLs. And I don't want to go through every dependency to switch
>those packets off as well, which doesn't seem to happen automatically.
>
>This is not nice. I'm trying to integrate the cygwin install into an
>automatic (unattended) windows install procedure, and until now
>setup.exe's behaviour is prohibitive. I can live with the fact that
>there's no silent install-everything option, but I can't live with these
>failures.
>
>Any suggestions for workarounds?

Sure.  Roll up your sleves, pitch in, and volunteer to fix the problem.
If this is really important to you, then volunteering some time to help
fix the problem seems like the most expedient way to get the problem
fixed.

cgf

* setup problem persistent?
@ 2004-12-17 15:33 Harald Vogt
From: Harald Vogt @ 2004-12-17 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

-Harald

PS. I'm sorry to bring this task up again. It seems that there was lots
of traffic on the mailing list before. But it didn't help me resolve the
issue. Maybe I simply overlooked something? But it definitely doesn't
work out-of-the-box...

My setup environment: new win xp installation, sp2 with updates, cygwin
was one of the first applications being installed, right after Perl
(which is required by the unattended installation scripts).