* Porting issues: file owned by root, user nobody
@ 2004-12-30 19:06 David Arnstein
From: David Arnstein @ 2004-12-30 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

My issues concern porting a Linux application to cygwin.  I read
http://cygwin.com/faq/ but I did not find answers.  If there is another
resource I should read, please advise.

The application is "dnrd," published on SourceForge  For security
reasons, dnrd
1.  Insists that its config files be owned by root.
2.  Changes its uid to "nobody," using setuid().

Has the cygwin community settled on uniform methods to deal with these
programming tasks?

For the file ownership issue, I just have to decide if the appropriate
owner is SYSTEM, Administrator, or something else.  And what about group
ownership?

For the uid issue, I might have to create an unprivileged account to
take the place of "nobody."  Unless a more clever solution has been
worked out.  Also, setuid() always fails for me.  Are there limitations
to this function in cygwin?

* Re: Porting issues: file owned by root, user nobody
@ 2004-12-30 19:46 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2004-12-30 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Arnstein; +Cc: cygwin

David Arnstein wrote:

> My issues concern porting a Linux application to cygwin.  I read
> http://cygwin.com/faq/ but I did not find answers.  If there is another
> resource I should read, please advise.
>
> The application is "dnrd," published on SourceForge  For security
> reasons, dnrd
> 1.  Insists that its config files be owned by root.
> 2.  Changes its uid to "nobody," using setuid().
 >
> Has the cygwin community settled on uniform methods to deal with these
> programming tasks?
>
> For the file ownership issue, I just have to decide if the appropriate
> owner is SYSTEM, Administrator, or something else.  And what about group
> ownership?

$ cat /etc/group | grep root
root:S-1-5-32-544:0:

Someone inserted this into my /etc/group file.

> For the uid issue, I might have to create an unprivileged account to
> take the place of "nobody."  Unless a more clever solution has been
> worked out.  Also, setuid() always fails for me.  Are there limitations
> to this function in cygwin?

Yes, this is covered in the User Guide:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid

Gerrit