* No getline() in stdio.h?
@ 2005-07-07  8:12 George Morgan
From: George Morgan @ 2005-07-07  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ok, I was reading about the virtues of using getline and then looked in cygwin's
stdio.h and it is not there!  Did it get removed?  Yeah, I found the __getline
but when I changed my C code to use that the linker does not find it.  This is
with cygwin DLL version 1.5.18 and gcc 3.4.4.  Maybe I need to use an older
compiler?

George Morgan

* Re: No getline() in stdio.h?
@ 2005-07-07  8:39 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-07-07  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul  7 04:12, George Morgan wrote:
> Ok, I was reading about the virtues of using getline and then looked in cygwin's
> stdio.h and it is not there!  Did it get removed?  Yeah, I found the __getline
> but when I changed my C code to use that the linker does not find it.  This is
> with cygwin DLL version 1.5.18 and gcc 3.4.4.  Maybe I need to use an older
> compiler?

No chance for now.  __getline and __getdelim are newlib symbols
which aren't exported by Cygwin so far.  I can add them to the exported
symbols for the next Cygwin release, but please note that these
functions are GNU extensions which are not covered by a standard.
You're going to write non-portable programs by using it.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: No getline() in stdio.h?
@ 2005-07-07 12:00 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2005-07-07 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Morgan; +Cc: cygwin

* Re: No getline() in stdio.h?
@ 2005-07-07 12:28   ` Gerrit P. Haase
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-07 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Blake; +Cc: George Morgan, cygwin

Eric Blake wrote:

> According to George Morgan on 7/7/2005 2:12 AM:
>
>>Ok, I was reading about the virtues of using getline and then looked in cygwin's
>>stdio.h and it is not there!  Did it get removed?  Yeah, I found the __getline
>>but when I changed my C code to use that the linker does not find it.  This is
>>with cygwin DLL version 1.5.18 and gcc 3.4.4.  Maybe I need to use an older
>>compiler?
>

> An alternative is to investigate using the gnulib module in your code.
> gnulib is currently designed for CVS use only (so there is no cygwin
> distribution), but projects like coreutils use gnulib getline() and other
> modules to make up for non-standard functions that are missing in various
> platform libraries. http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/

Same approach as libgen? Are dirname() and basename() included?

I would appreciate if at least the included functions could be listed in
the manual.  However, it isn't.  Do you have the archive handy and if
so, would you please dump a list of included symbols
(nm libgnulib.a | grep ' T ')?

Gerrit

* Re: No getline() in stdio.h?
@ 2005-07-07 12:35     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-07-07 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul  7 14:26, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Eric Blake wrote:
> >An alternative is to investigate using the gnulib module in your code.
> >gnulib is currently designed for CVS use only (so there is no cygwin
> >distribution), but projects like coreutils use gnulib getline() and other
> >modules to make up for non-standard functions that are missing in various
> >platform libraries. http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/
>
> Same approach as libgen? Are dirname() and basename() included?

Er... dirname and basename are provided by Cygwin.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: No getline() in stdio.h?
@ 2005-07-07 12:36     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-07 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Eric Blake, George Morgan

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Eric Blake wrote:

>> According to George Morgan on 7/7/2005 2:12 AM:
>>
>>> Ok, I was reading about the virtues of using getline and then looked
>>> in cygwin's
>>> stdio.h and it is not there!  Did it get removed?  Yeah, I found the
>>> __getline
>>> but when I changed my C code to use that the linker does not find
>>> it.  This is
>>> with cygwin DLL version 1.5.18 and gcc 3.4.4.  Maybe I need to use an
>>> older
>>> compiler?
>>

>> An alternative is to investigate using the gnulib module in your code.
>> gnulib is currently designed for CVS use only (so there is no cygwin
>> distribution), but projects like coreutils use gnulib getline() and other
>> modules to make up for non-standard functions that are missing in various
>> platform libraries. http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/
>

> Same approach as libgen? Are dirname() and basename() included?
>
> I would appreciate if at least the included functions could be listed in
> the manual.  However, it isn't.  Do you have the archive handy and if
> so, would you please dump a list of included symbols
> (nm libgnulib.a | grep ' T ')?

Nevermind, I found it.  It seems dirname() and basename() are there too:
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/gnulib/gnulib/MODULES.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html

Wouldn't it be nice to have it as a Cygwin package?

Gerrit

* Re: No getline() in stdio.h?
@ 2005-07-07 13:01     ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2005-07-07 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: George Morgan, cygwin

* Re: No getline() in stdio.h?
@ 2005-07-07 13:12       ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2005-07-07 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: cygwin, George Morgan

* Re: No getline() in stdio.h?
@ 2005-07-07 16:40       ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-07 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jul  7 14:26, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>
>>Eric Blake wrote:
>>
>>>An alternative is to investigate using the gnulib module in your code.
>>>gnulib is currently designed for CVS use only (so there is no cygwin
>>>distribution), but projects like coreutils use gnulib getline() and other
>>>modules to make up for non-standard functions that are missing in various
>>>platform libraries. http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/
>>
>>Same approach as libgen? Are dirname() and basename() included?
>

> Er... dirname and basename are provided by Cygwin.

Oops,  you should post cygwin.din on a regular basis, say every seven
days or so;)

Gerrit

* Re: No getline() in stdio.h?
@ 2005-07-07 16:57         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-07-07 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 06:37:08PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>
>>>Same approach as libgen?  Are dirname() and basename() included?
>>
>>Er...  dirname and basename are provided by Cygwin.
>
>Oops, you should post cygwin.din on a regular basis, say every seven
>days or so;)

Or, you could just read the cygwin release announcements:

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2005-03/msg00000.html

cgf