* RE: Updated: perl-5.8.7-2
@ 2005-07-12 12:32 Adye, TJ (Tim)
From: Adye, TJ (Tim) @ 2005-07-12 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Gerrit,

I can try this if it would help your tests. rebaseall is probably a
simpler workaround for me at the moment, though of course it would be
nice to eventually have something that works out of the box so people
can use my script on other systems without having to run any special
setup.

> Do you have a package for which I can use for tests (so I
> just need to call `make test` or `perl Makefile.PL && make test`

I was just using the test script I posted earlier. An even shorter
alternative would be

#!/usr/bin/perl
use Win32::Shortcut;
system 'pwd';

I guess an automated test package could require all the packages that
have associated DLLs and then issue a fork.

> > I guess I need to be patient and wait for an update to
> > perl-libwin32 to fix the problem.
>

> Maintainer are busy, so don't count the days;)

Check!

Tim.

> Gerrit

* Re: Updated: perl-5.8.7-2
@ 2005-07-12 18:03 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-12 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim,

>>Do you have a package for which I can use for tests (so I
>>just need to call `make test` or `perl Makefile.PL && make test`
>

> I was just using the test script I posted earlier. An even shorter
> alternative would be
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use Win32::Shortcut;
> system 'pwd';
>
> I guess an automated test package could require all the packages that
> have associated DLLs and then issue a fork.

This seems to work with some of the included extensions.  I meant a
package from which I can build Win32::Shortcut.  I fetched the original
source, but cannot build it.  But it is not urgent, Reini wants to
integrate it with libwin32 anyway.

Gerrit

* Re: Updated: perl-5.8.7-2
@ 2005-07-13 11:31     ` Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes @ 2005-07-13 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 07:17:10PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
> Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
> >>
> >>No, I didn't recompile Win32::Shortcut. I guess I should repeat my
> >>earlier
> >
> >Please recompile, and ensure that you use --enable-auto-image-base
> >to link your DLL.  This should do the same like rebase besides a
> >'random' base address is used.  --enable-auto-image-base is now
> >default when building perl extensions with 'perl makefile.PL ...'.
> >
> >Do you have a package for which I can use for
> >tests (so I just need to call `make test` or
> >`perl Makefile.PL && make test`
> >
> >>I guess I need to be patient and wait for an update to perl-libwin32
> >>to fix the problem.
> >

> >Maintainer are busy, so don't count the days;)
>
> Esp. when a simple rebaseall will help and an update will probably not
> help at all.
> But I'll try to find a general solution.

Just rebuilding perl-libwin32 with Gerrit's changed /usr/bin/perlld should
do it.

* Re: Updated: perl-5.8.7-2
@ 2005-07-12 17:23     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-12 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reini Urban wrote:

> But I'll try to find a general solution.

I hope that using a set of DLLs which all have been compiled
with --enable-auto-image-base will help.

General solution, sounds big.  Good luck!

Gerrit

* Re: Updated: perl-5.8.7-2
@ 2005-07-12 17:17   ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2005-07-12 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Reini Urban (the maintainer)

* Re: Updated: perl-5.8.7-2
@ 2005-07-12 12:06 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-12 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-07-12 11:31 Adye, TJ (Tim)
From: Adye, TJ (Tim) @ 2005-07-12 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > Adye, TJ (Tim) wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Gerrit,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the Perl update.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately this doesn't seem to fix the problem I reported
earlier
> >> ("Perl Win32::Shortcut screws up fork").  My test script worked
fine
> >> after "rebaseall", but when I reinstalled Cygwin from scratch
(including
> >> Perl 5.8.7-2) it dies with
>
> Have you recompiled Win32::Shortcut?  Do you use the standard
> perl linker wrapper ld2 / perlld?  If not have you used the
> --enable-auto-image-base flag to link the DLL?

No, I didn't recompile Win32::Shortcut. I guess I should repeat my
earlier

> >> Apologies if I was being overoptimistic and this release (alone)
wasn't
> >> expected to fix my problem.

I guess I need to be patient and wait for an update to perl-libwin32 to
fix the problem.

Thanks,
Tim.

==============================  cut here  ==============================
Tim Adye, BaBar Group, Particle Physics Dept.,             _   /|
          Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK.              \'o.O'   Oop!
e-mail:   T.J.Adye@rl.ac.uk                                =(___)=  Ack!
WWW:      http://hepwww.rl.ac.uk/Delphi/Adye/homepage.html    U  Thphft!

* Re: Updated: perl-5.8.7-2
@ 2005-07-12  2:25     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-07-12  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 10:17:51PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 11:29:10PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>>Adye, TJ (Tim) wrote:
>>>Thanks for the Perl update.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately this doesn't seem to fix the problem I reported earlier
>>>("Perl Win32::Shortcut screws up fork").  My test script worked fine
>>>after "rebaseall", but when I reinstalled Cygwin from scratch (including
>>>Perl 5.8.7-2) it dies with
>>>
>>>C:\cygwin\bin\perl.exe (3772): *** unable to remap
>>>C:\cygwin\lib\perl5\vendor_perl\5.8\cygwin\auto\Win32\Shortcut\Shortcut.
>>>dll to same address as parent(0x950000) != 0xBF0000
>>>     17 [main] perl 3448 fork_parent: child 3772 died waiting for dll
>>>
>>>The addresses are now different, if that's any consolation (previously
>>>it reported parent(0xBF0000) != 0x1110000).
>>>
>>>Presumably "rebaseall" will fix it again, but I'll keep the pristine
>>>Cygwin installation for further tests if that's helpful.
>>
>>Jason said it in the "Perl Win32::Shortcut screws up fork" thread,
>>auto-image-base helps but it doesn't resolve all issues.  A certain
>>amount of pad is required between the base DLL addresses and it seems
>>that this is one of those cases where the padding is too small.
>
>I really can't see why this padding would be needed for fork.  If the dlls are
>in the same place in the parent and the child (as should be the case after
>an auto-image-base) then fork() shouldn't care where they're located.  It is
>only when some dlls are not correctly based and some are that I could see
>problems.
>
>In any event, if the problem really does occur, even with all dlls
>correctly based, there's certainly no reason to stand on our heads trying
>to accommodate cygwin behavior.  We golly gee just might be able to fix
>cygwin if we have a reproducible test case.

Nevermind.  I should have taken my own implied advice and looked at the
source.  Cygwin does put location information in an alloced block after
the dll so it does need some memory after each dll.  However, it is just
a simple matter of programming to fix this.

cgf

* Re: Updated: perl-5.8.7-2
@ 2005-07-12  2:17   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-07-12  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2005-07-11 23:01   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-11 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-07-11 21:30 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-11 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tim,

Adye, TJ (Tim) wrote:

> Hi Gerrit,
>
> Thanks for the Perl update.
>
> Unfortunately this doesn't seem to fix the problem I reported earlier
> ("Perl Win32::Shortcut screws up fork").  My test script worked fine
> after "rebaseall", but when I reinstalled Cygwin from scratch (including
> Perl 5.8.7-2) it dies with
>
> C:\cygwin\bin\perl.exe (3772): *** unable to remap
> C:\cygwin\lib\perl5\vendor_perl\5.8\cygwin\auto\Win32\Shortcut\Shortcut.
> dll to same address as parent(0x950000) != 0xBF0000
>      17 [main] perl 3448 fork_parent: child 3772 died waiting for dll
>
> The addresses are now different, if that's any consolation (previously
> it reported parent(0xBF0000) != 0x1110000).
>
> Presumably "rebaseall" will fix it again, but I'll keep the pristine
> Cygwin installation for further tests if that's helpful.

Jason said it in the "Perl Win32::Shortcut screws up fork" thread,
auto-image-base helps but it doesn't resolve all issues.  A certain
amount of pad is required between the base DLL addresses and it seems
that this is one of those cases where the padding is too small.

Maybe another solution than simply using auto-image-base is needed.

> Apologies if I was being overoptimistic and this release (alone) wasn't
> expected to fix my problem.

Gerrit

* RE: Updated: perl-5.8.7-2
@ 2005-07-11 16:51 Adye, TJ (Tim)