* xmllint stopped working?
@ 2005-07-15 16:05 Mike Maxwell
From: Mike Maxwell @ 2005-07-15 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It appears that xmllint has stopped working in recent CygWin versions.

Specifically, the use of an entity defined in an XML file triggers the
following:

---------
 > xmllint --noout --schema ParadigmDefn.xsd TestSuite/Paradigms.Defn.xml
Unimplemented block at
/instsoft/libxml/uploaded/libxml2-2.6.20/xmlschemas.c:23832
Element
'{http://lodl.ldc.upenn.edu/ParadigmDefn.xsd}DisallowedFeatureValues':
Element content is not allowed, because the type definition is simple.
TestSuite/Paradigms.Defn.xml fails to validate
---------

These same files used to pass xmllint fine, and they still do when I run
xmllint on a FreeBSD system.

The xsd in question is too large to post in this msg, but here's a sort
of minimal XML file that will trigger the error:

---------

<!DOCTYPE ParadigmDefn
     [ <!ENTITY Clitic2 "foobar"> ]

<ParadigmDefns xmlns
="http://lodl.ldc.upenn.edu/ParadigmDefn.xsd"
                          xmlns:xsi
="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                          xsi:schemaLocation="http://lodl.ldc.upenn.edu
ParadigmDefn.xsd"
                          Title="Paradigms"

     <POS category="V0">
         <Paradigm name="tenses" constant_features="3sgS-">
             <FeatureValueSet >
                 <DisallowedFeatureValues> &Clitic2;
</DisallowedFeatureValues>
             </FeatureValueSet>
         </Paradigm>
     </POS>
</ParadigmDefns>
---------

I'm not sure of the exact date when this started happening, but I just
noticed it yesterday.  I downloaded the latest CygWin update today, and
xmllint is still not working.

BTW, I am inexperienced with XML, so it could be that the above is due
to s.t. that I'm doing wrong--but as I say, at least one other
implementation of xmllint accepts it.

And it could be that there's a better place to report this bug.  I
looked for an libxml site on sourceforge, but only found libxml2 (=
libxml++).
--
	Mike Maxwell
	Linguistic Data Consortium

	"When I get a little money I buy books;
           and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
	--Erasmus

* Re: xmllint stopped working?
@ 2005-07-15 16:26 ` Mike Maxwell
From: Mike Maxwell @ 2005-07-15 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mike Maxwell wrote:
> ...here's a sort
> of minimal XML file that will trigger the error:
>                 <DisallowedFeatureValues> &Clitic2; </DisallowedFeatureValues>

I should have mentioned, if I replace the entity '&Clitic2;' with its
value ('"foobar"'), the xml file passes xmllint just fine.

	Mike Maxxwell

* Re: xmllint stopped working?
@ 2005-07-16  0:26 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-16  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Maxwell; +Cc: cygwin

Mike Maxwell wrote:
> It appears that xmllint has stopped working in recent CygWin versions.

Specifically with libxml2-2.6.20 or was it broken before you upgraded?

> Specifically, the use of an entity defined in an XML file triggers the
> following:

Works with libxml2-2.6.16-2 on cygwin-1.5.17-1:

$ xmllint xmllint.problem.xml
<!DOCTYPE ParadigmDefn [
<!ENTITY Clitic2 "foobar">
]>
<ParadigmDefns xmlns="http://lodl.ldc.upenn.edu/ParadigmDefn.xsd"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://lodl.ldc.upenn.edu ParadigmDefn.xsd"
Title="Paradigms">
     <POS category="V0">
         <Paradigm name="tenses" constant_features="3sgS-">
             <FeatureValueSet>
                 <DisallowedFeatureValues> &Clitic2;
</DisallowedFeatureValues>
             </FeatureValueSet>
         </Paradigm>
     </POS>
</ParadigmDefns>

> ---------
>  > xmllint --noout --schema ParadigmDefn.xsd TestSuite/Paradigms.Defn.xml
> Unimplemented block at
> /instsoft/libxml/uploaded/libxml2-2.6.20/xmlschemas.c:23832
> Element
> '{http://lodl.ldc.upenn.edu/ParadigmDefn.xsd}DisallowedFeatureValues':
> Element content is not allowed, because the type definition is simple.
> TestSuite/Paradigms.Defn.xml fails to validate
> ---------
>
> These same files used to pass xmllint fine, and they still do when I run
> xmllint on a FreeBSD system.

Which version?

> The xsd in question is too large to post in this msg, but here's a sort
> of minimal XML file that will trigger the error:

How do I need to call it to reproduce the error?  At least when running
`xmllint Paradigms.Defn.xml` I get no error (Unimplemented block) with
version 2.6.20.

> ---------
>
> <!DOCTYPE ParadigmDefn
>     [ <!ENTITY Clitic2 "foobar"> ]
>  >

> <ParadigmDefns xmlns ="http://lodl.ldc.upenn.edu/ParadigmDefn.xsd"
>                          xmlns:xsi
> ="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>                          xsi:schemaLocation="http://lodl.ldc.upenn.edu
> ParadigmDefn.xsd"
>                          Title="Paradigms"
>  >
>     <POS category="V0">
>         <Paradigm name="tenses" constant_features="3sgS-">
>             <FeatureValueSet >
>                 <DisallowedFeatureValues> &Clitic2;
> </DisallowedFeatureValues>
>             </FeatureValueSet>
>         </Paradigm>
>     </POS>
> </ParadigmDefns>
> ---------
>
> I'm not sure of the exact date when this started happening, but I just
> noticed it yesterday.  I downloaded the latest CygWin update today, and
> xmllint is still not working.
>
> BTW, I am inexperienced with XML, so it could be that the above is due
> to s.t. that I'm doing wrong--but as I say, at least one other
> implementation of xmllint accepts it.
>
> And it could be that there's a better place to report this bug.  I
> looked for an libxml site on sourceforge, but only found libxml2 (=
> libxml++).

Libxml is an GNU project with its own site: http://www.libxml.org
Please ask at the mailing list before reporting it as bug, mailing
list informations are also here: http://www.xmlsoft.org/bugs.html

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: xmllint stopped working?
@ 2005-07-18 15:40   ` Mike Maxwell
From: Mike Maxwell @ 2005-07-18 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

(I responded to Gerrit in an email, but I'm copying my response here in
case anyone is interested.  I did do a posting to the mailing list
Gerrit suggests at the end of this msg. --MM)