* Compiling Apache2 under Cygwin with .so support
@ 2005-09-28 14:51 Tod
From: Tod @ 2005-09-28 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm trying to compile Apache 2.0.54 under Cygwin.  I do this because I
like to keep the same configuration and file system organization to make
my build as portable as possbile under the different Unices I work with.

I like to compile apache with DSO support and all modules as shared
objects.  The compile seems to work fine but when I do the install all
the modules are named with either an .a or .la extension - I'm expecting
.so.  From various threads I've read there seems to be an issue with
libtool that contributes to this.

I tried the -no-undefined LDFLAGS option and the build failed on an
all-recursive libaprutil-0.la error.

What I'm wondering is if anyone got this to work correctly and if so
could provide some pointers to get it to work.  Incidentally mod_php,
and mySQL is next so advice there would be appreciated  too.  In fact if
there is an up to date CAMP howto document somewhere that would be helpful.

Thanks - Tod
---

uname -rvo - 1.5.18(0.132/4/2) 2005-07-02 20:30 Cygwin
apache v2.0.54
gcc 3.4.4
libtool 1.5.20

* Re: Compiling Apache2 under Cygwin with .so support
@ 2005-09-28 18:14 ` Max Bowsher
       [not found]   ` <433AD19A.4000208@madtoon.net>
From: Max Bowsher @ 2005-09-28 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tod, cygwin

Tod wrote:
> I'm trying to compile Apache 2.0.54 under Cygwin.  I do this because I
> like to keep the same configuration and file system organization to make
> my build as portable as possbile under the different Unices I work with.
>
> I like to compile apache with DSO support and all modules as shared
> objects.  The compile seems to work fine but when I do the install all
> the modules are named with either an .a or .la extension - I'm expecting
> .so.  From various threads I've read there seems to be an issue with
> libtool that contributes to this.
>
> I tried the -no-undefined LDFLAGS option and the build failed on an
> all-recursive libaprutil-0.la error.
>
> What I'm wondering is if anyone got this to work correctly and if so
> could provide some pointers to get it to work.

Have you not noticed that apache2 (with .so support) is available as an
official Cygwin package through setup.exe ??

> Incidentally mod_php,
> and mySQL is next so advice there would be appreciated  too.

I've got php5 to compile, but I've got a fair bit of work to do on it before
I can release an official package.

Max.

@ 2005-09-28 22:19     ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2005-09-28 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tod, Cygwin

Please keep replies on the mailing list.
I'm taking this conversation back on-list.

Tod wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Tod wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to compile Apache 2.0.54 under Cygwin.  I do this because I
>>> like to keep the same configuration and file system organization to make
>>> my build as portable as possbile under the different Unices I work with.
>>>
>>> I like to compile apache with DSO support and all modules as shared
>>> objects.  The compile seems to work fine but when I do the install all
>>> the modules are named with either an .a or .la extension - I'm expecting
>>> .so.  From various threads I've read there seems to be an issue with
>>> libtool that contributes to this.
>> Have you not noticed that apache2 (with .so support) is available as
>> an official Cygwin package through setup.exe ??
> Yes I did.  I tried to pick up the source to see how the build was done
> but the source option was not available.

The source is definitely on the mirrors.

> I always build Apache by hand.  See my initial portability comment above.

Wouldn't a few symlinks accomplish the same purpose with much less fuss?

> If push comes to shove I may have to use the official Cygwin port but
> I'd like to be able to just do a ./configure and make like I do on the
> other platforms :)

Patches are necessary to get things building dynamically on Cygwin, so any
existing build recipe alone won't be enough.

>>> Incidentally mod_php,
>>> and mySQL is next so advice there would be appreciated  too.
>>
>> I've got php5 to compile, but I've got a fair bit of work to do on it
>> before I can release an official package.
>
> When you say you got php to compile did you mean as an Apache module?

Yes.

Max.

* Re: Compiling Apache2 under Cygwin with .so support
@ 2005-10-05 16:58       ` Tod
From: Tod @ 2005-10-05 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher; +Cc: Cygwin

Max Bowsher wrote:

> Please keep replies on the mailing list.
> I'm taking this conversation back on-list.

Sorry,  I normally do.

> Tod wrote:
>
>> Max Bowsher wrote:

>>> Have you not noticed that apache2 (with .so support) is available as
>>> an official Cygwin package through setup.exe ??

>> Yes I did.  I tried to pick up the source to see how the build was done
>> but the source option was not available.
>

> The source is definitely on the mirrors.

Ok, I'll look again.

>> I always build Apache by hand.  See my initial portability comment
>> above.
>

> Wouldn't a few symlinks accomplish the same purpose with much less fuss?
>
>> If push comes to shove I may have to use the official Cygwin port but
>> I'd like to be able to just do a ./configure and make like I do on the
>> other platforms :)
>

> Patches are necessary to get things building dynamically on Cygwin, so
> any existing build recipe alone won't be enough.

Will the source from one of the mirrors have the necessary components to
accomplish that?  If not, is there a step by step set of instructions
published anywhere?

>>> I've got php5 to compile, but I've got a fair bit of work to do on it
>>> before I can release an official package.
>>

>> When you say you got php to compile did you mean as an Apache module?
>

> Yes.
>
> Max.

Great, what else needs to be done?