* diff -r won't recurse
@ 2015-04-03 14:18 lemkemch
From: lemkemch @ 2015-04-03 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've got a strange problem: diff -r /d /g won't recurse into the two directories.  /d and /g are the
roots of two disks where /g is a clone (disk2vhd) of /d.  ls -R and other tools have no problems
to walk the tree.  strace doesn't give me a clue.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

Profitieren Sie von der sicheren E-Mail-Ãœbertragung Ihrer Daten mit einer kostenlosen E-Mail-Adresse der Telekom.
www.t-online.de/email-kostenlos

* Re: diff -r won't recurse
@ 2015-04-03 14:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-04-03 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lemkemch, cygwin

Greetings, lemkemch@t-online.de!

> I've got a strange problem: diff -r /d /g won't recurse into the two directories.  /d and /g are the
> roots of two disks where /g is a clone (disk2vhd) of /d.  ls -R and other tools have no problems
> to walk the tree.  strace doesn't give me a clue.  Any ideas?

Try /d/ /g/ ?
Cygdrive automounts are implicit.
Though, I'm unable to reproduce your case.

$ ls -l /?
ls: cannot access /?: No such file or directory

$ diff -r /w /x
Only in /w: $RECYCLE.BIN
Only in /x: OS2
Only in /w: ssh-1Pr6UITz
Only in /w: System Volume Information
Only in /x: WINNT

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: diff -r won't recurse
@ 2015-04-03 19:41 ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2015-04-03 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Op 3-4-2015 om 16:17 schreef lemkemch@t-online.de:
> I've got a strange problem: diff -r /d /g won't recurse into the two directories.  /d and /g are the
> roots of two disks where /g is a clone (disk2vhd) of /d.  ls -R and other tools have no problems
> to walk the tree.  strace doesn't give me a clue.  Any ideas?
there are no differences
;)

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

* Re: diff -r won't recurse
@ 2015-04-03 20:35   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-04-03 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erwin Waterlander, cygwin

Greetings, Erwin Waterlander!

>> I've got a strange problem: diff -r /d /g won't recurse into the two directories.  /d and /g are the
>> roots of two disks where /g is a clone (disk2vhd) of /d.  ls -R and other tools have no problems
>> to walk the tree.  strace doesn't give me a clue.  Any ideas?
> there are no differences
> ;)

:S
Why I didn't though of that first?

P.S.
Please, no cleartext email quoting. Thanks.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* AW: diff -r won't recurse
@ 2015-04-04 18:10   ` lemkemch
From: lemkemch @ 2015-04-04 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 16:50:09 +0200  Andrey Repin wrote:
>> I've got a strange problem: diff -r /d /g won't recurse into the two directories.  /d and /g are the
>> roots of two disks where /g is a clone (disk2vhd) of /d.  ls -R and other tools have no problems
>> to walk the tree.  strace doesn't give me a clue.  Any ideas?
>
>Try /d/ /g/ ?
>Cygdrive automounts are implicit.
>Though, I'm unable to reproduce your case.
>
>$ ls -l /?
>ls: cannot access /?: No such file or directory
>
>$ diff -r /w /x
>Only in /w: $RECYCLE.BIN
>Only in /x: OS2
>Only in /w: ssh-1Pr6UITz
>Only in /w: System Volume Information
>Only in /x: WINNT

Yes, that's what I expected.  And Erwin Waterlander suggested:
> there are no differences
> ;)

I wish it were so.  Nevertheless (-s lists identical files):
orion> diff -q -r -s /d/Program\ Files /g/Program\ Files
orion>

But
orion> ls /d/Program\ Files /g/Program\ Files
/d/Program Files:
7-Zip                                        GPS-Track-Analyse-6                                PlotSoft
... snipped.

/g/Program Files:
7-Zip                                        GPS-Track-Analyse-6                                PlotSoft
... more snipped.

I am sure this got something to do with this being on a cloned disk running in a XP
virtual machine (vmplayer on Win 8,1).

Thanks,
Michael

P.S. For some reason I can't subscribe properly to the list. It rejected my first request
and following the instructions I received as a result wasn't successful.

@ 2015-04-04 18:29     ` lemkemch
From: lemkemch @ 2015-04-04 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 20:09:56 +0200 I wrote:
>On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 16:50:09 +0200  Andrey Repin wrote:
>>> I've got a strange problem: diff -r /d /g won't recurse into the two directories.  /d and /g are the
>>> roots of two disks where /g is a clone (disk2vhd) of /d.  ls -R and other tools have no problems
>>> to walk the tree.  strace doesn't give me a clue.  Any ideas?
>>
>>Try /d/ /g/ ?
>>Cygdrive automounts are implicit.
>>Though, I'm unable to reproduce your case.
>>
>>$ ls -l /?
>>ls: cannot access /?: No such file or directory
>>
>>$ diff -r /w /x
>>Only in /w: $RECYCLE.BIN
>>Only in /x: OS2
>>Only in /w: ssh-1Pr6UITz
>>Only in /w: System Volume Information
>>Only in /x: WINNT
>>

>Yes, that's what I expected.  And Erwin Waterlander suggested:
>> there are no differences
>> ;)
>
>I wish it were so.  Nevertheless (-s lists identical files):
>orion> diff -q -r -s /d/Program\ Files /g/Program\ Files
>orion>
>
>But
>orion> ls /d/Program\ Files /g/Program\ Files
>/d/Program Files:
>7-Zip                                        GPS-Track-Analyse-6                                PlotSoft
>... snipped.
>
>/g/Program Files:
>7-Zip                                        GPS-Track-Analyse-6                                PlotSoft
>... more snipped.
>
>I am sure this got something to do with this being on a cloned disk running in a XP
>virtual machine (vmplayer on Win 8,1).

Clutching at straws (note the identical serial number, does it confuse Cygwin?):

 orion> /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe /g
Device Type        : 7
Characteristics    : 20
Volume Name        : <ND D (HDD)>
Serial Number      : 3357258338
Max Filenamelength : 255
Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
Flags              : 700ff
  FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : TRUE
  FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
  FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
  FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
  FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : TRUE
  FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : TRUE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : TRUE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: TRUE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
  FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : TRUE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : TRUE
  FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : TRUE
  FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
  FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE

 orion> /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe /d

@ 2015-04-04 19:27       ` lemkemch
From: lemkemch @ 2015-04-04 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>-----Original-Nachricht-----
>Betreff: Re: diff -r won't recurse
>Datum: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 20:29:40 +0200
>Von: "lemkemch@t-online.de" <lemkemch@t-online.de>
>An: cygwin@cygwin.com

>>Yes, that's what I expected.  And Erwin Waterlander suggested:
>>> there are no differences
>>> ;)
>>
>>I wish it were so.  Nevertheless (-s lists identical files):
>>orion> diff -q -r -s /d/Program\ Files /g/Program\ Files
>>orion>
>>
>>But
>>orion> ls /d/Program\ Files /g/Program\ Files
>>/d/Program Files:
>>7-Zip                                        GPS-Track-Analyse-6                                PlotSoft
>>... snipped.
>>
>>/g/Program Files:
>>7-Zip                                        GPS-Track-Analyse-6                                PlotSoft
>>... more snipped.
>>
>>I am sure this got something to do with this being on a cloned disk running in a XP
>>virtual machine (vmplayer on Win 8,1).
>>

>Clutching at straws (note the identical serial number, does it confuse Cygwin?):
>
> orion> /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe /g
>Device Type        : 7
>Characteristics    : 20
>Volume Name        : <ND D (HDD)>
>Serial Number      : 3357258338
>
> orion> /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe /d
>Device Type        : 7
>Characteristics    : 20
>Volume Name        : <ND D (HDD)>
>Serial Number      : 3357258338

This was it.  I changed the Volume Serial Number with a Sysinternals tool
(https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897436.aspx)
and after a reboot diff now recurses into the directories in question.

Now is this a Cygwin bug or am I doing something terribly unsupported?

@ 2015-04-04 23:50         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-04-04 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lemkemch, cygwin

Greetings, lemkemch@t-online.de!

>>Clutching at straws (note the identical serial number, does it confuse Cygwin?):
>>
>> orion> /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe /g
>>Device Type        : 7
>>Characteristics    : 20
>>Volume Name        : <ND D (HDD)>
>>Serial Number      : 3357258338
>>
>> orion> /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe /d
>>Device Type        : 7
>>Characteristics    : 20
>>Volume Name        : <ND D (HDD)>
>>Serial Number      : 3357258338

> This was it.  I changed the Volume Serial Number with a Sysinternals tool
> (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897436.aspx)
> and after a reboot diff now recurses into the directories in question.

> Now is this a Cygwin bug or am I doing something terribly unsupported?

Volume serial numbers are supposed to be unique... At least within one system
installation.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2015-04-05  1:51         ` Jeffrey Altman
From: Jeffrey Altman @ 2015-04-05  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/4/2015 3:27 PM, lemkemch@t-online.de wrote:
>> Clutching at straws (note the identical serial number, does it confuse Cygwin?):
>>
>> orion> /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe /g
>> Device Type        : 7
>> Characteristics    : 20
>> Volume Name        : <ND D (HDD)>
>> Serial Number      : 3357258338
>>
>> orion> /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo.exe /d
>> Device Type        : 7
>> Characteristics    : 20
>> Volume Name        : <ND D (HDD)>
>> Serial Number      : 3357258338
>
> This was it.  I changed the Volume Serial Number with a Sysinternals tool
> (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897436.aspx)
> and after a reboot diff now recurses into the directories in question.
>
> Now is this a Cygwin bug or am I doing something terribly unsupported?

The serial number is used by many tools to track the volumes that are
crossed by reparse points to ensure that a loop does not occur.  I
suspect that in this case the tool is concluding that the reparse point
is referring back to the same volume.

Jeffrey Altman

* Re: diff -r won't recurse
@ 2015-04-07  9:14           ` Corinna Vinschen