* boost, boost_unit_test_framework
@ 2005-10-10 21:59 Mattias Brändström
From: Mattias Brändström @ 2005-10-10 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello!

I want to write some C++ programs that use boost and compile them using
cygwin. What is the recomended way of doing this?

Usually when I use the boost libraries (on Fedora Core) I would be able
to link my program using gcc by providing -lboost_date_time on the
command line. With cygwin I can't do that since there is no
libboost_date_time.a library insalled. However, these libraries are
installed:

/usr/lib/libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s-1_33.a*
/usr/lib/libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s.a*

In my build scripts I would still like to be able to specify
-lboost_date_time and not -lboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s. Is it the
intention of the maintainer of the cygwin boost package that I should
make a symbolic link (ln -s libboost_date_time.a
libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s.a) to the library that I want to use?

In my opinion it would be preferable to have one of the  different
variants of the date library installed as libboost_date_time.a. Is there
any special reason why it's done like it is today?

Another question regarding the cygwin boost package is why the test
libraries are missing?

I am curious. =)

Regards,
Mattias

* Re: boost, boost_unit_test_framework
@ 2005-10-11 10:37 ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2005-10-11 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mattias Brändström wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to write some C++ programs that use boost and compile them using
> cygwin. What is the recomended way of doing this?
>
> Usually when I use the boost libraries (on Fedora Core) I would be able
> to link my program using gcc by providing -lboost_date_time on the
> command line. With cygwin I can't do that since there is no
> libboost_date_time.a library insalled. However, these libraries are
> installed:
>
> /usr/lib/libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s-1_33.a*
> /usr/lib/libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s.a*
This is called 'versioned' layout.

> In my build scripts I would still like to be able to specify
> -lboost_date_time and not -lboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s. Is it the
> intention of the maintainer of the cygwin boost package that I should
> make a symbolic link (ln -s libboost_date_time.a
> libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s.a) to the library that I want to use?
You can either add the links or you can have something like
BOOST_SUFFIX=-gcc-mt-s and use -lboost_date_time${BOOST_SUFFIX}.

> In my opinion it would be preferable to have one of the  different
> variants of the date library installed as libboost_date_time.a. Is there
> any special reason why it's done like it is today?
Marking the version in the way it is now done is prefered by those who
approve this package.

> Another question regarding the cygwin boost package is why the test
> libraries are missing?
Because its build is broken on Cygwin.

> I am curious. =)
>
> Regards,
> Mattias

Vaclav Haisman

* Re: boost, boost_unit_test_framework
@ 2005-10-13  7:37   ` Mattias Brändström
From: Mattias Brändström @ 2005-10-13  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Václav Haisman wrote:

>>/usr/lib/libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s-1_33.a*
>>/usr/lib/libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s.a*
>
> This is called 'versioned' layout.
>

>>In my build scripts I would still like to be able to specify
>>-lboost_date_time and not -lboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s. Is it the
>>intention of the maintainer of the cygwin boost package that I should
>>make a symbolic link (ln -s libboost_date_time.a
>>libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s.a) to the library that I want to use?
>
> You can either add the links or you can have something like
> BOOST_SUFFIX=-gcc-mt-s and use -lboost_date_time${BOOST_SUFFIX}.

Ok. I didn't think of using a suffix like you suggest. It looks nice and
I am going to use it in my build scripts.

>>Another question regarding the cygwin boost package is why the test
>>libraries are missing?
>
> Because its build is broken on Cygwin.

Have the test libraries worked in any previous version of boost for
Cygwin? If so, is there any way that I can install that version instead?

@ 2005-10-14  9:55     ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2005-10-14  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mattias Brändström; +Cc: cygwin

Mattias Brändström wrote:
> Václav Haisman wrote:
>

>>> /usr/lib/libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s-1_33.a*
>>> /usr/lib/libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s.a*
>>

>> This is called 'versioned' layout.
>>

>>> In my build scripts I would still like to be able to specify
>>> -lboost_date_time and not -lboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s. Is it the
>>> intention of the maintainer of the cygwin boost package that I should
>>> make a symbolic link (ln -s libboost_date_time.a
>>> libboost_date_time-gcc-mt-s.a) to the library that I want to use?
>>

>> You can either add the links or you can have something like
>> BOOST_SUFFIX=-gcc-mt-s and use -lboost_date_time${BOOST_SUFFIX}.
>>

> Ok. I didn't think of using a suffix like you suggest. It looks nice and
> I am going to use it in my build scripts.
>
>>> Another question regarding the cygwin boost package is why the test
>>> libraries are missing?
>>

>> Because its build is broken on Cygwin.
>>

> Have the test libraries worked in any previous version of boost for
> Cygwin? If so, is there any way that I can install that version instead?
I don't know. The current Boost package is the only Boost Cygwin package
so far. You could try to compile some older Boost than 1.33.0 from sources.

> :.:: mattias

Vaclav Haisman

* Re: boost, boost_unit_test_framework
@ 2005-10-14 10:10       ` Mattias Brändström
From: Mattias Brändström @ 2005-10-14 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Václav Haisman wrote:

>>Have the test libraries worked in any previous version of boost for
>>Cygwin? If so, is there any way that I can install that version instead?
>
> I don't know. The current Boost package is the only Boost Cygwin package
> so far. You could try to compile some older Boost than 1.33.0 from sources.

Actually, I tried to compile the test libraries of boost 1.33 myself
like this:

bjam -sTOOLS=gcc --with-test stage

And that command produced the test libraries for me. The only difference
from your libraries was that their extension was .lib instead of .a. How
did you manage to get .a libraries? Is there any difference between .a
and .lib in Cygwin?

When I changed the extension of boost_unit_test_framework to .a and
compiled and linked my test with -lboost_unit_test_framework I got a
working binary.

However, I would like to be able to build my project with a vanilla
installation of Cygwin. This would make it easier for me to share my
project with other people since they would only have to install the
correct versions (preferable the latest) of the Cygwin packages to be
able to build it.

In what way is the test libraries broken under Cygwin?

@ 2005-10-15 11:40         ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2005-10-15 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mattias Brändström; +Cc: cygwin

Mattias Brändström wrote:
> Václav Haisman wrote:
>

>>> Have the test libraries worked in any previous version of boost for
>>> Cygwin? If so, is there any way that I can install that version instead?
>>

>> I don't know. The current Boost package is the only Boost Cygwin package
>> so far. You could try to compile some older Boost than 1.33.0 from
>> sources.
>>

> Actually, I tried to compile the test libraries of boost 1.33 myself
> like this:
>
> bjam -sTOOLS=gcc --with-test stage
>
> And that command produced the test libraries for me. The only difference
> from your libraries was that their extension was .lib instead of .a. How
> did you manage to get .a libraries? Is there any difference between .a
> and .lib in Cygwin?
Are you sure that you are using Cygwin's GCC? Or even any GCC? For me,
Boost produces only .a archives or .dlls.

> When I changed the extension of boost_unit_test_framework to .a and
> compiled and linked my test with -lboost_unit_test_framework I got a
> working binary.
>
> However, I would like to be able to build my project with a vanilla
> installation of Cygwin. This would make it easier for me to share my
> project with other people since they would only have to install the
> correct versions (preferable the latest) of the Cygwin packages to be
> able to build it.
>
> In what way is the test libraries broken under Cygwin?
Unless I add --without-test I get this error after which the whole build
process tops:

unknown target type for
<@boost!libs!test!build>libboost_prg_exec_monitor.dll

> :.:: mattias

Václav Haisman

* Re: boost, boost_unit_test_framework
@ 2005-10-15 14:25           ` Mattias Brändström
From: Mattias Brändström @ 2005-10-15 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Václav Haisman wrote:
> Mattias Brändström wrote:
>>bjam -sTOOLS=gcc --with-test stage
>>
>>And that command produced the test libraries for me. The only difference
>>from your libraries was that their extension was .lib instead of .a. How
>>did you manage to get .a libraries? Is there any difference between .a
>>and .lib in Cygwin?
>
> Are you sure that you are using Cygwin's GCC? Or even any GCC? For me,
> Boost produces only .a archives or .dlls.

Yes, I am quite sure. I use a freshly installed Cygwin and I guess that
the boost build scripts will compile with gcc if I compile the way I
descibed above.

>>In what way is the test libraries broken under Cygwin?
>
> Unless I add --without-test I get this error after which the whole build
> process tops:
>
> unknown target type for
> <@boost!libs!test!build>libboost_prg_exec_monitor.dll

Have you tried to just compile the test libraries? If I remember
correctly, building dynamic test libraries is indeed broken under Cygwin
but static libraries should work.

@ 2005-10-15 14:54             ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2005-10-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mattias Brändström; +Cc: cygwin

Well, it definitely doesn't work for me. I don't think I have in any way
non-standard Cygwin installation.

It would be helpful if you could download the -src package of Boost
using setup.exe, extract it and run the build-boost.sh script. Don't
forget to remove the --without-test line or make it into --with-test.

Vaclav Haisman

@ 2005-10-16 20:07               ` Mattias Brändström
From: Mattias Brändström @ 2005-10-16 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Václav Haisman wrote:
> Well, it definitely doesn't work for me. I don't think I have in any way
> non-standard Cygwin installation.
>
> It would be helpful if you could download the -src package of Boost
> using setup.exe, extract it and run the build-boost.sh script. Don't
> forget to remove the --without-test line or make it into --with-test.

Ok. I have done that and I got the following error message:

Extracting source...tar: unrecognized option `--overwrite-dir'
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.

I removed that option from the tar command and tried to run
build-boost.sh again. Now I get the following error output:

Building boost-1.33.0-1-src.tar.bz2...done.
Extracting source...done.
Building bjam...done.
Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
(and if you don't know what ICU is then you probably don't need it).
unknown target type for
<@boost!libs!test!build>libboost_prg_exec_monitor.dll
Copying boost.README...done.
Copying Boost's docs into place...done.
Fixing permissions..../build-boost.sh: line 101: cd:
/usr/src/boost-1.33.0-1/fake-root/usr/lib: No such file or directory

@ 2005-10-16 20:20                 ` Václav Haisman
From: Václav Haisman @ 2005-10-16 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mattias Brändström; +Cc: cygwin

Mattias Brändström wrote:
> Václav Haisman wrote:
>
>> Well, it definitely doesn't work for me. I don't think I have in any way
>> non-standard Cygwin installation.
>>
>> It would be helpful if you could download the -src package of Boost
>> using setup.exe, extract it and run the build-boost.sh script. Don't
>> forget to remove the --without-test line or make it into --with-test.
>>

> Ok. I have done that and I got the following error message:
>
> Extracting source...tar: unrecognized option `--overwrite-dir'
> Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.
>
> I removed that option from the tar command and tried to run
> build-boost.sh again. Now I get the following error output:
>
> Building boost-1.33.0-1-src.tar.bz2...done.
> Extracting source...done.
> Building bjam...done.
> Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
> Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
> (and if you don't know what ICU is then you probably don't need it).
> unknown target type for
> <@boost!libs!test!build>libboost_prg_exec_monitor.dll
This is exactly the same error I get.

> Copying boost.README...done.
> Copying Boost's docs into place...done.
> Fixing permissions..../build-boost.sh: line 101: cd:
> /usr/src/boost-1.33.0-1/fake-root/usr/lib: No such file or directory
>
> :.:: mattias

Vaclav Haisman

* Re: boost, boost_unit_test_framework
@ 2005-10-16 20:27                   ` Mattias Brändström
From: Mattias Brändström @ 2005-10-16 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Václav Haisman wrote:
>><@boost!libs!test!build>libboost_prg_exec_monitor.dll
>
> This is exactly the same error I get.

This is strange. When I get the test libraries to build I used a bjam
binary that I downloaded from source forge:

http://peterhost.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/boost/boost-jam-3.1.11-1-ntx86.zip

Perhaps you could try and build with that binary?

:.:: mattias