* Problems opening files from run menu
@ 2005-10-19 14:45 Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2005-10-19 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a xfig file in:

c:\cygwin\home\test\test.fig

I can open this xfig file from the run menu like:
bash --login -e startxprog xfig c:/cygwin/home/test/test.fig

I also have a .dvi file in:
c:\cygwin\home\test\test.dvi

But when I type:
bash --login -e startxprog xdvi c:/cygwin/home/test/test.dvi

Nothing happens. Why is it possible to open a file like this with xfig but
not with xdvi???

* Re: Problems opening files from run menu
@ 2005-10-19 14:50 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-10-19 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 04:38:43PM +0200, Paminu wrote:
>I have a xfig file in:
>
>c:\cygwin\home\test\test.fig
>
>I can open this xfig file from the run menu like:
>bash --login -e startxprog xfig c:/cygwin/home/test/test.fig
>
>I also have a .dvi file in:
>c:\cygwin\home\test\test.dvi
>
>But when I type:
>bash --login -e startxprog xdvi c:/cygwin/home/test/test.dvi
>
>Nothing happens. Why is it possible to open a file like this with xfig but
>not with xdvi???

How about using UNIX-like paths rather than Windows paths, that being
one the main reasons for Cygwin's existence?

  bash --login -e startxprog xdvi /home/test/test.dvi

Otherwise, http://cygwin.com/problems.html would be interesting reading.

* Re: Problems opening files from run menu
@ 2005-10-19 15:28   ` Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2005-10-19 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Christopher Faylor" <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> skrev i en
meddelelse news:20051019145018.GD3521@trixie.casa.cgf.cx...
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 04:38:43PM +0200, Paminu wrote:
>>I have a xfig file in:
>>
>>c:\cygwin\home\test\test.fig
>>
>>I can open this xfig file from the run menu like:
>>bash --login -e startxprog xfig c:/cygwin/home/test/test.fig
>>
>>I also have a .dvi file in:
>>c:\cygwin\home\test\test.dvi
>>
>>But when I type:
>>bash --login -e startxprog xdvi c:/cygwin/home/test/test.dvi
>>
>>Nothing happens. Why is it possible to open a file like this with xfig but
>>not with xdvi???
>
> How about using UNIX-like paths rather than Windows paths, that being
> one the main reasons for Cygwin's existence?
>
>  bash --login -e startxprog xdvi /home/test/test.dvi

That works fine. But the problem is when I execute xdvi from emacs. Then
this gets inserted:
c:/cygwin/home/test/test.dvi

if I could just get emacs to only type /home/test/test.dvi it would work.

But I think it is wierd that xfig accepts the full path while xdvi only
accept the path excluding c:/cygwin, but maybe its a bug in xdvi.

* Re: Problems opening files from run menu
@ 2005-10-19 15:37     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-10-19 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 05:21:50PM +0200, Paminu wrote:
>"Christopher Faylor" <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> skrev i en
>meddelelse news:20051019145018.GD3521@trixie.casa.cgf.cx...
>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 04:38:43PM +0200, Paminu wrote:
>>>I have a xfig file in:
>>>
>>>c:\cygwin\home\test\test.fig
>>>
>>>I can open this xfig file from the run menu like:
>>>bash --login -e startxprog xfig c:/cygwin/home/test/test.fig
>>>
>>>I also have a .dvi file in:
>>>c:\cygwin\home\test\test.dvi
>>>
>>>But when I type:
>>>bash --login -e startxprog xdvi c:/cygwin/home/test/test.dvi
>>>
>>>Nothing happens. Why is it possible to open a file like this with xfig but
>>>not with xdvi???
>>
>> How about using UNIX-like paths rather than Windows paths, that being
>> one the main reasons for Cygwin's existence?
>>
>>  bash --login -e startxprog xdvi /home/test/test.dvi
>

>That works fine. But the problem is when I execute xdvi from emacs. Then
>this gets inserted:
>c:/cygwin/home/test/test.dvi
>
>if I could just get emacs to only type /home/test/test.dvi it would work.
>
>But I think it is wierd that xfig accepts the full path while xdvi only
>accept the path excluding c:/cygwin, but maybe its a bug in xdvi.

It is not a bug for a UNIX utility to be confused by MS-DOS paths.  If emacs
is using MS-DOS paths then the bug lies there.

cgf

* Re: Problems opening files from run menu
@ 2005-10-21  2:47     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2005-10-21  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paminu; +Cc: cygwin

Paminu wrote:
> "Christopher Faylor" <cxxx@xxx.xxx> skrev i en
> meddelelse ...
>
>>On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 04:38:43PM +0200, Paminu wrote:
>>
>>>I have a xfig file in:
>>>
>>>c:\cygwin\home\test\test.fig
>>>
>>>I can open this xfig file from the run menu like:
>>>bash --login -e startxprog xfig c:/cygwin/home/test/test.fig
>>>
>>>I also have a .dvi file in:
>>>c:\cygwin\home\test\test.dvi
>>>
>>>But when I type:
>>>bash --login -e startxprog xdvi c:/cygwin/home/test/test.dvi
>>>
>>>Nothing happens. Why is it possible to open a file like this with xfig but
>>>not with xdvi???
>>
>>How about using UNIX-like paths rather than Windows paths, that being
>>one the main reasons for Cygwin's existence?
>>
>> bash --login -e startxprog xdvi /home/test/test.dvi
>

> That works fine. But the problem is when I execute xdvi from emacs. Then
> this gets inserted:
> c:/cygwin/home/test/test.dvi
>
> if I could just get emacs to only type /home/test/test.dvi it would work.
>
> But I think it is wierd that xfig accepts the full path while xdvi only
> accept the path excluding c:/cygwin, but maybe its a bug in xdvi.

Hm.  If only there were some Cygwin utility that could do something
amazing like... I know!  It could take a DOS/Windows path and turn it
into a POSIX one for Cygwin.  Wouldn't that be neat?  I hope someone
someday makes just such a program.  Then things like emacs could use it
and the world would be right again.  And if someone ever did write such
a utility, I would suggest it be called some snazzy name like 'cygpath'.
Yeah, that has quite a ring to it.  Boy it will be a great day when we
have such a utility!*

* 'cygpath' already exists. :-)
Holliston, MA 01746