* Re: "rxvt -e bash" From Batch File
@ 2006-02-08 18:59 Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2006-02-08 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bubba Jones, cygwin

[You have a really weird mailer - every other line was blank!]

> On 8 Feb 2006 17:54:59 -0000 Bubba Jones
> > I think I found the problem.  My $HOME variable is
>
> > set to another location than I want.  Before using
>
> > rxvt I explicitly set HOME in my .bashrc...  When
>
> > I set HOME in the regular bash prompt and run
>
> > "rxvt -e /bin/bash --login -i" all is well.  So, my
>
> > problem now is, how do I set my HOME in a batch
>
> > file?  If that can't be done, how can I set HOME
>
> > before I call rxvt?

You can permanently edit environment variables in Windows using
control panel, system, advanced, environment variables.  Or for
a single use, you should try 'set /?' in a cmd.com window, for ideas
on setting environment variables in batch files.

See also http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.home

--
Eric Blake

* Re: "rxvt -e bash" From Batch File
@ 2006-02-09 10:25 ` Chris Taylor
From: Chris Taylor @ 2006-02-09 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eric Blake wrote:
> [You have a really weird mailer - every other line was blank!]
>

>>On 8 Feb 2006 17:54:59 -0000 Bubba Jones
>>
>>>I think I found the problem.  My $HOME variable is
>>
>>>set to another location than I want.  Before using
>>
>>>rxvt I explicitly set HOME in my .bashrc...  When
>>
>>>I set HOME in the regular bash prompt and run
>>
>>>"rxvt -e /bin/bash --login -i" all is well.  So, my
>>
>>>problem now is, how do I set my HOME in a batch
>>
>>>file?  If that can't be done, how can I set HOME
>>
>>>before I call rxvt?
>

> You can permanently edit environment variables in Windows using
> control panel, system, advanced, environment variables.  Or for
> a single use, you should try 'set /?' in a cmd.com window, for ideas
> on setting environment variables in batch files.
>
> See also http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.home

Alternatively, you could do:
rxvt -e /bin/bash --login --rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i

Thus combining your current configuration with the way you want it to be...

Chris
--

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket
of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world

* Re: Bash Window Geometry
@ 2006-02-13 22:30   ` Bubba Jones
From: Bubba Jones @ 2006-02-13 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Alternatively, you could do:
> rxvt -e /bin/bash --login --rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i
>
> Thus combining your current configuration with the way you want it to be...

Ahhh, most cool.  That command with switches works from
the cygwin bash prompt, but not from the DOS prompt,
which tells me it wouldn't work from a batch file.  The
following does work from DOS:

h:\cygwin\bin\rxvt -e /bin/bash --
rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i

But the following does not:

h:\cygwin\bin\rxvt -e /bin/csh --login --
rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i

The difference being that "--login" breaks...  Any
idea why --login es no bueno?  Is --login really
needed?

Thanks!

_________________________________________________________________Get your FREE Budweiser E-mail account at http://budweiser.com     Budweiser E-Mail must be used responsibly and only is for consumers 21 years of age and older!       Disclaimer: Neither Anheuser-Busch, Inc. (the makers of BUDWEISER beer) nor the operator of this E-Mail service or their respective affiliates have seen, endorsed or approved any of the content in this e-mail and expressly disclaim all liability for the content in whole and in part.

* Re: Bash Window Geometry
@ 2006-02-13 22:42     ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-02-13 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bubba Jones; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Bubba Jones wrote:

> > Alternatively, you could do:
> > rxvt -e /bin/bash --login --rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i
> >
> > Thus combining your current configuration with the way you want it to
> > be...
>
> Ahhh, most cool.  That command with switches works from
> the cygwin bash prompt, but not from the DOS prompt,
> which tells me it wouldn't work from a batch file.  The
> following does work from DOS:
>
> h:\cygwin\bin\rxvt -e /bin/bash --rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i
                                    ^
There should be no space between "--" and "rcfile", but I guess you know
that (it's hard to tell whether that was your mailer's linewrapping).

> But the following does not:
>
> h:\cygwin\bin\rxvt -e /bin/csh --login --rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i
                             ^^^
> The difference being that "--login" breaks...  Any idea why --login es
> no bueno?  Is --login really needed?

Now, this is interesting...  Why would you expect bash options to work for
csh?

If this really is a typo and

h:\cygwin\bin\rxvt -e /bin/bash --login --rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i

does break for you from a DOS prompt, please run

h:\cygwin\bin\bash --login --rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i

from the same DOS prompt and tell us what output it produces.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* Re: Bash Window Geometry
@ 2006-02-14  0:57     ` Chris Taylor
From: Chris Taylor @ 2006-02-14  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bubba Jones; +Cc: cygwin

Bubba Jones wrote:
>>Alternatively, you could do:
>>rxvt -e /bin/bash --login --rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i
>>
>>Thus combining your current configuration with the way you want it to be...
>

> Ahhh, most cool.  That command with switches works from
> the cygwin bash prompt, but not from the DOS prompt,
> which tells me it wouldn't work from a batch file.  The
> following does work from DOS:
>
> h:\cygwin\bin\rxvt -e /bin/bash --
> rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i
>
> But the following does not:
>
> h:\cygwin\bin\rxvt -e /bin/csh --login --
> rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i
>
> The difference being that "--login" breaks...  Any
> idea why --login es no bueno?  Is --login really
> needed?
>
> Thanks!

Re your other message, it's Geordi ;-)

Anyway. Why csh? I can't tell you what the options would be for that..
You'd have to check the man page

As for the command I gave you not working from a command prompt - it
does, as long as you are in your cygwin bin directory.. Otherwise, in a
batch file, yes you will need to prepend rxvt with C:\cygwin\bin\ , or
whatever the path to the executable is.
The same applies to if you just make a shortcut for it..
See the default cygwin.bat for reference.

Chris
--

@ 2006-02-13 22:37           ` Bubba Jones
From: Bubba Jones @ 2006-02-13 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> You do know that you can have your own mounts pointing
to wherever *you*
> want (in effect, having a separate Cygwin
installation)?

Wow.  I never thought about that.  Hmmm. Most
interesting.

> If theirs is
> missing /etc/passwd, it's seriously broken anyway.

Good point!

> I forget, did you ever attach the output of "cygcheck -svr" (as an
> uncompressed text attachment) as requested in the Cygwin problem reporting
> guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>?  If not, you should do it
> so that we have enough details about your installation(s) to try
> diagnosing the problems.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll do that.

> > I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I installed cygwin on my
> > network drive and specified vi and some other stuff, then set my PATH to
> > look at my installation after "their" installation.  It seems to work
> > ok.  I had to delete/move my cygwin1.dll so the system wouldn't freak
> > out.  The system preferred the cygwin1.dll that is part of the system
> > config, not my config (I hope that makes sense...).
>
> Why not do the other way around?  Remove their installation from the PATH,
> add yours, issue the following commands (assuming your Cygwin is installed
> in H:\cygwin):
>
> mount -ufb 'h:\cygwin' /
> mount -ufb 'h:\cygwin\bin' /usr/bin
> mount -ufb 'h:\cygwin\lib' /usr/lib
>
> That way your install would be completely independent from theirs.

You're smart (recall Star Trek TNG episode when
Jordi <sp> was kidnapped because "he was smart"...).

My network quota is 200 MB, so, my plan was to install
the cygwin binaries that I needed and were missing
from the "organizational installation" so I could
have a "mean and lean" use of drive space.  Now that
you mention the separate installation thing, I
believe I can attach a USB drive to this machine.  If
I can do that, I will do a real cygwin install and
say phooey on them :) .  That will keep "them" happy
and make me very happy.

> I'm assuming you installed Cygwin from one machine and use it from
> another, otherwise installing for "just me" would have set up the proper
> mount entries already.  Again, the output of "cygcheck -svr" would have
> told us whether this is the case.

I just wanted a few cygwin binaries...

> > Do you see any problem with the /etc/passwd mismatch?
>
> Yes.  Many things that rely on authentication and permissions will not
> work properly if certain usernames (including yours) are missing from
> /etc/passwd.  Your /etc/group will also need to be up-to-date.

But of course...  I think the USB drive install will
save the day...

> > I installed rxvt.  That solves the problem with the geometry thing.  I
> > am in my happy place now :) .
>
> Until the problems start.  Let's try preventing them.  The first step
> would be to see what your and their installations look like (via the
> output of "cygcheck -svr").

Roger.

Thanks!  You're smart...

@ 2006-02-09 15:51         ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-02-09 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bubba Jones; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Bubba Jones wrote:

> > While you're at it, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.
>
> Hmmm.  That doesn't look like an option.  I'll make a request and/or
> change e-mail services...

My hope is that if enough people bug those online services, some of them
will cave in and fix this, and others will then follow suit.  Slim, I
know. :-)

> > ..
> > Heh.  Two problems: (a) you're not starting a login shell
>
> Yeah, you're right.  I'll fix that.
>
> > and (b) why do you have /cygdrive/h as your home?  Sounds like your
> > $HOME setting is inconsistent with your /etc/passwd...
>
> Good eye.  I have my HOME set in my .bashrc.  I'm using an
> "organizational" computer.  "They" "nazified" the systems, so I stuck
> HOME on my network folder. When I do an "ls -l /etc/passwd", I get, "no
> such file...".  I'm not sure what "they" did, but "they" don't seem to
> want to answer my questions about "their" cygwin configuration.  I asked
> to have vi included in the configuration, but no response...

You do know that you can have your own mounts pointing to wherever *you*
want (in effect, having a separate Cygwin installation)?  If theirs is
missing /etc/passwd, it's seriously broken anyway.

I forget, did you ever attach the output of "cygcheck -svr" (as an
uncompressed text attachment) as requested in the Cygwin problem reporting
guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>?  If not, you should do it
so that we have enough details about your installation(s) to try
diagnosing the problems.

> I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I installed cygwin on my
> network drive and specified vi and some other stuff, then set my PATH to
> look at my installation after "their" installation.  It seems to work
> ok.  I had to delete/move my cygwin1.dll so the system wouldn't freak
> out.  The system preferred the cygwin1.dll that is part of the system
> config, not my config (I hope that makes sense...).

Why not do the other way around?  Remove their installation from the PATH,
add yours, issue the following commands (assuming your Cygwin is installed
in H:\cygwin):

mount -ufb 'h:\cygwin' /
mount -ufb 'h:\cygwin\bin' /usr/bin
mount -ufb 'h:\cygwin\lib' /usr/lib

That way your install would be completely independent from theirs.

I'm assuming you installed Cygwin from one machine and use it from
another, otherwise installing for "just me" would have set up the proper
mount entries already.  Again, the output of "cygcheck -svr" would have
told us whether this is the case.

> Do you see any problem with the /etc/passwd mismatch?

Yes.  Many things that rely on authentication and permissions will not
work properly if certain usernames (including yours) are missing from
/etc/passwd.  Your /etc/group will also need to be up-to-date.

> I installed rxvt.  That solves the problem with the geometry thing.  I
> am in my happy place now :) .

Until the problems start.  Let's try preventing them.  The first step
would be to see what your and their installations look like (via the
output of "cygcheck -svr").

> > > Is there any way to have the call to bash set geometry?
> >
> > As I said above, not to bash itself, but there might be a way of
> > controlling the position of the console window using some Windows
> > means (maybe a program in the Windows Resource kit?).

...or using a terminal that lets you control the geometry (e.g., rxvt) as
others mentioned.
	Igor
--

@ 2006-02-08 15:54       ` Bubba Jones
From: Bubba Jones @ 2006-02-08 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2006-02-06 22:08       ` Hannu E K Nevalainen
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen @ 2006-02-06 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna wrote:
> On Feb  6 17:34, Bubba Jones wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:13:43 -0500 (EST) Igor Peshansky
> <pechtcha@**.***.***> wrote:

>>> First off, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTWLL>.  Thanks.
>>
>> I think my mailer might be goofed...  I don't see an option
>> for that.  I'll fix it the ole fashioned way though with a manual
>> CR/LF :) .
>>
>>> Now, if you're starting bash from a shortcut (e.g., the one Cygwin
>>> installation puts on your desktop), you can change shortcut
>>> parameters to put the window anywhere you want
>>> (Properties->Layout->Window position).
>>
>> Thanks, but I'm looking for something like the "--geometry"
>> feature of X.
>
> If you use rxvt instead of the standard console window, then just try
> the -geometry option...
>

> Corinna

 Note that if you have a correctly defined $HOME at the time when you start
rxvt, then you can use the $HOME/.Xdefaults file to define the geometry and
more
(see man rxvt)

e.g. running something that mimics this; (UNTESTED!)

	bash <<EOF
	HOME="/home/$(id -un)"
	export HOME
	. /etc/profile  # necessary?
	rxvt -ls /bin/bash -li &
	EOF

from cygwin.bat will have you up and running, with settings from .Xdefaults
in your (default) home dir (as setup by /etc/profile).

NOTE: it is necessary to do tricks to accomplish the above,
       as .bat/cmd.exe doesn't allow "here docs".

I have something similar setup on my work machine, but I don't remember how
it is exactly - @home now.
 Another optional "path" is to have $HOME be the null string (from
Windows/cygwin.bat) and have /etc/profile pathed as indicated below.

/H

$ diff -u /etc/defaults/etc/profile{.old,}
--- /etc/defaults/etc/profile.old       2006-02-03 10:14:15.947837500 +0100
+++ /etc/defaults/etc/profile   2006-02-03 10:17:57.977674300 +0100
@@ -42,11 +42,16 @@
 export USER

 # Here is how HOME is set, in order of priority, when starting from Windows
+#  0) /home/$USER if $HOME is null
 #  1) From existing HOME in the Windows environment, translated to a Posix
path
 #  2) from /etc/passwd, if there is an entry with a non empty directory
field
 #  3) from HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH
 #  4) / (root)

+if [ -z "$HOME" ]; then
+  HOME=/home/$USER
+fi
+
 # If the home directory doesn't exist, create it.
 if [ ! -d "${HOME}" ]; then
        mkdir -p "${HOME}"

* Re: Bash Window Geometry
@ 2006-02-06 18:10         ` Reid Thompson
From: Reid Thompson @ 2006-02-06 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Reid Thompson wrote:
> rxvt takes -geometry as a parameter   -- it also provides a much
> better interface than CMD.EXE

forgot to mention that rxvt will run natively or with X.

* Re: Bash Window Geometry
@ 2006-02-06 17:56       ` Reid Thompson
From: Reid Thompson @ 2006-02-06 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2006-02-06 17:56     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2006-02-06 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb  6 17:34, Bubba Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:13:43 -0500 (EST) Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Bubba Jones wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to tell the bash prompt where I want it positioned on my
> > > desktop?  Using X Windows I specify size and location with "--geometry".
> > > Is there anything comparable under MS Windows?
> >
> > First off, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTWLL>.  Thanks.
>
> I think my mailer might be goofed...  I don't see an option
> for that.  I'll fix it the ole fashioned way though with a
> manual CR/LF :) .
>
> > Now, if you're starting bash from a shortcut (e.g., the one Cygwin
> > installation puts on your desktop), you can change shortcut parameters to
> > put the window anywhere you want (Properties->Layout->Window position).
>
> Thanks, but I'm looking for something like the "--geometry"
> feature of X.

If you use rxvt instead of the standard console window, then just try
the -geometry option...

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Bash Window Geometry
@ 2006-02-06 17:55     ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-02-06 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bubba Jones; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Bubba Jones wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:13:43 -0500 (EST) Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@XX.XXX.XXX> wrote:

While you're at it, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Bubba Jones wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to tell the bash prompt where I want it positioned on
> > > my desktop?  Using X Windows I specify size and location with
> > > "--geometry". Is there anything comparable under MS Windows?
> >
> > First off, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTWLL>.  Thanks.
>
> I think my mailer might be goofed...  I don't see an option for that.
> I'll fix it the ole fashioned way though with a manual CR/LF :) .

Good enough. :-)  You might want to complain to Anheuser-Busch about this
and the quoting, though...

> > Now, if you're starting bash from a shortcut (e.g., the one Cygwin
> > installation puts on your desktop), you can change shortcut parameters
> > to put the window anywhere you want (Properties->Layout->Window
> > position).
>
> Thanks, but I'm looking for something like the "--geometry"
> feature of X.  I want several bash windows on my desktop in
> strategic locations when I double-click a .bat.  I'm guessing
> that a .bat file can contain several calls to bash with the
> geometry pre-defined.

Yeah, I thought of adding that bash itself has no control over its
geometry -- after all, it's just a shell.  The geometry is specified by
the window that contains the shell (be it a console window or an
application window).  There may be a launcher program that sets those
(after all, if a shortcut can do it, there must be a command-line way,
right?), but I don't know of any.

> Right now my cygwin.bat file contains:
>
> @echo off
> cd \
> C:\Cygwin\bin\bash --rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Heh.  Two problems: (a) you're not starting a login shell, and (b) why do

@ 2006-02-06 17:45   ` Bubba Jones
From: Bubba Jones @ 2006-02-06 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:13:43 -0500 (EST) Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Bubba Jones wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to tell the bash prompt where I want it positioned on my
> > desktop?  Using X Windows I specify size and location with "--geometry".
> > Is there anything comparable under MS Windows?
>
> First off, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTWLL>.  Thanks.

I think my mailer might be goofed...  I don't see an option
for that.  I'll fix it the ole fashioned way though with a
manual CR/LF :) .

> Now, if you're starting bash from a shortcut (e.g., the one Cygwin
> installation puts on your desktop), you can change shortcut parameters to
> put the window anywhere you want (Properties->Layout->Window position).

Thanks, but I'm looking for something like the "--geometry"
feature of X.  I want several bash windows on my desktop in
strategic locations when I double-click a .bat.  I'm guessing
that a .bat file can contain several calls to bash with the
geometry pre-defined.  Right now my cygwin.bat file contains:

@echo off
cd \
C:\Cygwin\bin\bash --rcfile /cygdrive/h/.bashrc -i

Is there any way to have the call to bash set geometry?

> Is this alluding to a '"free" as in "free beer"' software? 'Cause Cygwin
> is '"free" as in "free speech"', actually... :-)
> 	Igor

Sort of, kinda.  The free beer is always yesterday :) ...

@ 2006-02-06 17:15 ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-02-06 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bubba Jones; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Bubba Jones wrote:

> Is it possible to tell the bash prompt where I want it positioned on my
> desktop?  Using X Windows I specify size and location with "--geometry".
> Is there anything comparable under MS Windows?

First off, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTWLL>.  Thanks.

Now, if you're starting bash from a shortcut (e.g., the one Cygwin
installation puts on your desktop), you can change shortcut parameters to
put the window anywhere you want (Properties->Layout->Window position).

Is this alluding to a '"free" as in "free beer"' software? 'Cause Cygwin
is '"free" as in "free speech"', actually... :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"