* pipe improvements in snapshot
@ 2002-12-11  0:48 Christopher Faylor
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-12-11  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: tom

In the most recent cygwin snapshot (uploading now) I've attempted to
work around the 10ms delay in pipe reads.  I've managed this by
resurrecting an idea I had back in 1998, updated for the new millenium.
My idea was shot down by other (then) Cygnus employees but since they
are now gone and I'm in charge of the project it seems like a good idea
to dust it off and try again.

In a nutshell, what cygwin now does is start pipe reads in another
thread.  If a signal arrives, the thread (and the read) is terminated.
Depending on how Windows is implemented, it's *possible* that there will
be data loss in this scenario.  It would be very very hard to to prove
that is the case, however.

Please check out the latest snapshot and report here if there are
problems.  I haven't yet tried this on Windows 9x class systems so it's
entirely possible that there is a problem there.

If this looks good, I will probably release a cygwin 1.3.18 fairly soon.

cgf

* Re: pipe improvements in snapshot
@ 2002-12-11 16:20 fergus
From: fergus @ 2002-12-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: fergus

W98/SE. With the current cygwin1.dll I tried
    time cat <hugefile> | nice -0 dd of=/dev/null
    time cat <hugefile> | nice --1 dd of=/dev/null
where hugefile ~ 100MB, and got times roughly 1m20s with the 2nd instruction
marginally faster. Then switched to the snapshot cygwin1-20021210.dll and
shaved a minute yes a minute off the times. Then tried creating new files as
in
    time cat <hugefile> | nice -0 dd of=hugefile2
    time cat <hugefile> | nice --1 dd of=hugefile3
(this took about 30s each) and checked md5sums. Not a byte out of place.
Fergus
P.S. Thanks to thomas for these good diagnostic scripts.

* RE: pipe improvements in snapshot
@ 2002-12-12  4:08 Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2002-12-12  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've also been using kde (Kmail), gzip with piped input, cat, less and also a few other tailor made apps with no problems. If anything it's a bit faster ;)

Elfyn
elfyn@exposure.org.uk

@ 2002-12-12  4:23 Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2002-12-12  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sorry I forgot to metion I'm using windows 2000 pro/adv. server and
windows xp home/pro.

Elfyn
elfyn@exposure.org.uk