* g++ API for video acquisition
@ 2006-06-04 14:22 Philippe Gambron
From: Philippe Gambron @ 2006-06-04 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

I have developped an application capturing images from a webcam under linux
using video4linux in C++.

I know that Windows offers an API (Video for Windows) that allows to do
roughly the same thing.

But is it possible to use this API (or another that allows to do the same
thing) with g++ under cygwin? In other words, do we have to buy Visual Net
Studio or is it possible to do such a thing under windows using only free
components?

This may look like a stupid question but I have been developping only under
Linux for a long time.

Thank you very much!

Philippe

* Re: g++ API for video acquisition
@ 2006-06-04 18:46 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2006-06-04 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Philippe Gambron wrote:

> I know that Windows offers an API (Video for Windows) that allows to do
> roughly the same thing.

VFW is old and deprecated, it's cruft from the 16 bit Windows 3.x days.
DirectShow is the modern replacement.

> But is it possible to use this API (or another that allows to do the same
> thing) with g++ under cygwin? In other words, do we have to buy Visual Net
> Studio or is it possible to do such a thing under windows using only free
> components?

You can use the full Win32 API with gcc; this is what the w32api package
provides.  But do note that for the purposes of a Cygwin program (as
opposed to a Mingw one) you should do things in a Posix way whenever
possible -- this means using open() instead of CreateFile(),
fork()/exec() or spawn() instead of CreateProcess(), pthreads instead of
CreateThread(), and so on.If you want to write a pure windows app and do
everything in the Win32 API way then you should use Mingw.

Brian