* rxvt usage issues under windows xp
@ 2006-06-11 14:58 gabriele.mailing
From: gabriele.mailing @ 2006-06-11 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,
I've switched time ago from the standard cygwin.bat (cmd.exe) window, to
rxvt.
It's miles away from the m$ command line, but I still have some issue.

First of all, here is my launch command taken from the web with some tweaks:
C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -bg black -fg white -si +sk -sw -sr -sl 65535 -fn
"Courier New-23-bold" -ls -e /usr/bin/bash --login -rcfile ~/.profile

And in my .bashrc I have:
export CYGWIN="codepage:oem tty binmode title"
export TERM="rxvt-cygwin-native"

Now the issues:

A-I want to scroll back manually, without resetting position, event if
there is something scrolling on the screen. So I have setup -si -sw.
B-But I want to go on the prompt line on key press. So I have setup +sk.
A is working fine, B not. Why ?

I used Windows Courier-New font, because it correctly show up character
(for example, midnight commander) in other applications, like Putty.
In rxvt, it doesen't work well. I've tried "Lucida Console" too, but the
result was the same. Why ?

Thanks for suggestions,

--
Diesis

* Re: rxvt usage issues under windows xp
@ 2006-06-11 18:20 ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-06-11 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gabriele.mailing; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, gabriele.mailing wrote:

> Hello,
> I've switched time ago from the standard cygwin.bat (cmd.exe) window, to
> rxvt. It's miles away from the m$ command line, but I still have some
> issue.
>
> First of all, here is my launch command taken from the web with some
> tweaks: C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -bg black -fg white -si +sk -sw -sr -sl
> 65535 -fn "Courier New-23-bold" -ls -e /usr/bin/bash --login -rcfile
> ~/.profile
>
> And in my .bashrc I have:
> export CYGWIN="codepage:oem tty binmode title"

First, "codepage:oem", "tty", and "title" only make sense for the Cygwin
console.  You don't need them for rxvt at all.  Second, "tty" should be
set before the first Cygwin process is ever invoked -- setting it in
.bashrc is way too late.  If you want the setting to be available to all
processes, set CYGWIN in the global system environment instead.

> export TERM="rxvt-cygwin-native"

And this is another problem -- this will bite you when you try using ssh.
Rxvt already sets the TERM to "xterm" by default, and will set it to
whatever you want with the "-tn" command-line option.  I suggest adding
"-tn rxvt-cygwin-native" to your rxvt command line instead of the above
.bashrc line.

> Now the issues:

> A-I want to scroll back manually, without resetting position, event if there
> is something scrolling on the screen. So I have setup -si -sw.
> B-But I want to go on the prompt line on key press. So I have setup +sk.
> A is working fine, B not. Why ?

Because you've misread the manpage.  "+sk" turns OFF "scroll-on-keypress".
You want "-sk" instead.  This is not Cygwin-specific.

> I used Windows Courier-New font, because it correctly show up character
> (for example, midnight commander) in other applications, like Putty.
> In rxvt, it doesen't work well. I've tried "Lucida Console" too, but the
> result was the same. Why ?

It's a Windows codepage issue.  rxvt uses the system-default codepage.
You'll probably need a customized font with the right characters in the
right places...
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* Re: rxvt usage issues under windows xp
@ 2006-06-11 20:39   ` gabriele.mailing
From: gabriele.mailing @ 2006-06-11 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor, thank you for your reply.

Igor Peshansky wrote
>> export CYGWIN="codepage:oem tty binmode title"
>>
> set CYGWIN in the global system environment instead.

Ok, I've set it in the main windows environment. Now from CDM.EXE
prompt, CYGWIN is already set.

>> export TERM="rxvt-cygwin-native"
>>
> And this is another problem -- this will bite you when you try using ssh.
> ...I suggest adding
> "-tn rxvt-cygwin-native"
> to your rxvt command line instead of the above .bashrc line.

Ok, done this. Never had problems, because I haven't do any ssh to my
machine since I've switched to rxvt.
> Because you've misread the manpage.  "+sk" turns OFF "scroll-on-keypress".
> You want "-sk" instead.  This is not Cygwin-specific.

That's my fault !!! Now it's working perfectly :D

> It's a Windows codepage issue.  rxvt uses the system-default codepage.
> You'll probably need a customized font with the right characters in the
> right places...

Oh yeah, I've red /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rxvt-20050409.README and found
mention about the font "Lucida ConsoleP".
I've downloaded from http://home.online.no/~aageli/luconP.ttf, installed
in Windows, and run a shortcut with:

C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -bg black -fg white -si -sk -sw -sr -sl 65535 -tn
rxvt-cygwin-native -fn "Lucida ConsoleP-22" -ls -e /usr/bin/bash --login
-rcfile ~/.profile

Now mc is correctly displayed, but
pstree -p
is not drawen correctly (nor it was before....) !!!

--

@ 2006-06-12  1:10     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2006-06-12  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

gabriele.mailing@rvmgroup.it wrote:

> Now mc is correctly displayed, but
> pstree -p
> is not drawen correctly (nor it was before....) !!!

pstree will not work (except in -A mode) on rxvt, unless pstree is
completely rewritten.

See (2) in http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-03/msg00556.html

--
Chuck

* Re: rxvt usage issues under windows xp
@ 2006-06-12  9:48       ` gabriele.mailing
From: gabriele.mailing @ 2006-06-12  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Charles Wilson ha wrote
> pstree will not work (except in -A mode) on rxvt, unless pstree is
> completely rewritten.

Duh. Ok:
alias pstree='pstree -A'

Thank you for the tip.