From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Apparent bug in either (1) Cygwin default Package-list or (2) Package "bzr" dependency-list
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 00:55:48 -0600	[thread overview]

On 2020-06-18 21:33, My Name via Cygwin wrote:
> I found an apparent dependency problem in Cygwin, and I'm not enough of a
> Cygwin expert to know whether the bug is in Cygwin or Bazaar (Package
> "bzr"); but if I had to guess, I'd guess it's in Cygwin, and I've already
> reported the issue to the Bazaar forum.
>
> In summary, after I installed Cygwin and Cygwin-Package "bzr", bzr failed
> as it attempted to execute "python27". A detailed description of the issue,
> including input and output from several tests I ran, and including the
> solution posted by someone else (solution = install Cygwin-Package
> "python27") is here, https://answers.launchpad.net/bzr/+question/691381,
> and it's rather concise so I'll end here and refer you to that thread.
>
> Per the directions here, https://cygwin.com/problems.html, I'm
> email-attaching the output from "cygcheck -s -v -r".

Looks like cygport, calm, and setup disagree about install dependencies; from
setup.ini:

bzr
requires: python
depends2: python

python
requires: python2
depends2:

python2
requires: python27
depends2:

so although python requires python2, and python2 requires python27, the (newer)
depends2 entries are not the same and are empty, so setup ignores requires and
does not install the dependency.

In these cases, either depends2 should be the same as requires, or depends2
should be omitted, and setup should install requires.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]