* RE: new GUI setup program!
@ 2000-07-17  6:43 TOMMY REYNOLDS
From: TOMMY REYNOLDS @ 2000-07-17  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Using the new setup on my Win95 "system", I received a pop-up advising:

warning: deleting "c:/cygwin/tmp" so I can make a directory there

with an OK button on it.  Before clicking the button, I checked and the
"c:/cygwin/tmp" was already gone.  My original "c:/cygwin/tmp" was a symlink
to a real "c:/tmp" directory, so nothing was lost but I would have hoped the
warning message would appear before the action had been taken.

* Re: new GUI setup program!
@ 2000-07-13 22:20   ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2000-07-13 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Jensen, DJ Delorie, Cygwin list

Yes, when you click "work off line" IE5 kills your dial-up connection.
I've done this to myself a few times.  It's what we want IE5 to do if we
need to run fax, for example.  My installation over dial-up appears to
have completed with total success and fixed my corrupted g++
installation even though I had to leave for several hours while it was
under way.

Tim Prince
From: Ross Smith @ 2000-07-13 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: "DJ Delorie" <dj@delorie.com>

> > and what if I didn't have IE5?),
>
> Then setup wouldn't even run.  Same as the old setup.  When we
> complete that to-do item, you could choose a direct connection, which
> doesn't require installing IE5 but also doesn't use the automatic
> proxy stuff that IE5 provides.

Setup always required IE5? I never knew that. OK, my mistake, sorry.

> If you use a proxy that requires authentication, you'd put that there.
> It's optional.  People who need it usually know that they need it.

I think just adding the words "Proxy settings" would be a big help.

> > You should probably preselect a default (probably
> > ftp.freesoftware.com) for people who aren't familiar with the
> > mirrors.
>
> The appropriate default depends on where the user is, so we can't
> really know which one to pick.

Maybe that's just me being naive about the state of other countries'
nets. It's always been my experience that, if there isn't a mirror
actually in the same city as me, it's never worthwhile trying anything
else outside the US.

--
Ross Smith <ross.s@ihug.co.nz> The Internet Group, Auckland, New Zealand

* Re: new GUI setup program!
@ 2000-07-13 18:15     ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2000-07-13 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, ross.s; +Cc: cygwin

Well, I didn't want to try it, but my g++ turned out broken, so I'm
exercising it over plain dial-up.  It's into gdb now, still cruising at
5 kb/s.

Tim Prince
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-07-13 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bones0_list; +Cc: cygwin

> Could it be because I told IE5 to work offline while installing?

I don't know, but it does use the IE5 DLLs to connect to the internet,
so any changes to the way IE5 works could instantly affect a running
setup program.

* Re: new GUI setup program!
@ 2000-07-13 18:05 ` Jonas Jensen
From: Jonas Jensen @ 2000-07-13 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, Cygwin list

From: "DJ Delorie" <dj@delorie.com>

@ 2000-07-13 17:56   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-07-13 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ross.s; +Cc: cygwin

> You mean it crashes at the drop of a hat, ... ?

OK, just the *good* things windows users have come to expect.

> The options on the "Select root directory" dialogue could probably do
> with some explanation.

Yup.  I'll have to either enlarge the dialog box, or add a help
button.

> I checked "Use IE5 settings" because I didn't have any choice (why
> is it even an option when there's no alternative?

If you read the README in the sources, you'll see that the other
options are "to-do" items.

> and what if I didn't have IE5?),

Then setup wouldn't even run.  Same as the old setup.  When we
complete that to-do item, you could choose a direct connection, which
doesn't require installing IE5 but also doesn't use the automatic
proxy stuff that IE5 provides.

> and left the user ID and password boxes blank because I had no idea
> what to put in them, and it seemed to work.

If you use a proxy that requires authentication, you'd put that there.
It's optional.  People who need it usually know that they need it.

> The "Select download site" dialogue is too small (and needs a
> horizontal scroll bar).

OK, I guess I'll grow that one too.

> Also, it might make finding the one you want a bit easier if they
> were sorted.

I'll add it to the to-do list.

@ 2000-07-13 17:24 ` Ross Smith
From: Ross Smith @ 2000-07-13 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: "DJ Delorie" <dj@delorie.com>

> OK, folks, the big day is here - a GUI setup program!  Yup,
> point-n-click ease, pretty progress monitors, and other things that
> Windows users have come to expect.

You mean it crashes at the drop of a hat, requires three reboots
before it can finish the installation, changes all my registry
settings and file associations without asking, and sends my name,
address, favourite grocery store, bank balance, and condom size to
Doubleclick? :-)

But seriously folks...

I've just tried it out. Everything seemed to go smoothly; well done! I
particularly liked the progress indicators, with the download rate and
byte counts. I have a few comments and suggestions; I hope they're
constructive. These are all just cosmetic issues; the installation ran
perfectly.

The options on the "Select root directory" dialogue could probably do
with some explanation. It was obvious to me that it was asking me
whether the standard mount points should be text-vs-binary and
system-vs-user, but that's because I've had some experience with that
particular feature; I expect it would be totally mystifying to someone
who hadn't used Cygwin before, or even to someone who had but never
paid much attention to the mount points set up by default.

The next page was a complete mystery to me. I can only guess that it's
something to do with the download process. I checked "Use IE5
settings" because I didn't have any choice (why is it even an option
when there's no alternative? and what if I didn't have IE5?), and left
the user ID and password boxes blank because I had no idea what to put
in them, and it seemed to work.

The "Select download site" dialogue is too small (and needs a
horizontal scroll bar). Also, it might make finding the one you want a
bit easier if they were sorted. You should probably preselect a
default (probably ftp.freesoftware.com) for people who aren't familiar
with the mirrors. (I notice Sourceware's own site is no longer
included -- is this a deliberate change in policy or just an
oversight?)

You might want to consider a "total download progress" indicator, like
the one in the install phase.

Thanks for all your work!

--

@ 2000-07-13 16:52 ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 2000-07-13 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 13 Jul 00, at 18:49, the Illustrious DJ Delorie wrote:

> OK, folks, the big day is here - a GUI setup program!  Yup,
> point-n-click ease, pretty progress monitors, and other things
> that Windows users have come to expect.

	Huzzah!!

	Thanks, DJ :-)

		Peace,

			Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

* new GUI setup program!
@ 2000-07-13 15:49 DJ Delorie
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-07-13 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

OK, folks, the big day is here - a GUI setup program!  Yup,
point-n-click ease, pretty progress monitors, and other things that
Windows users have come to expect.

The URL to get setup.exe is the same.  You can also visit the Cygwin
home page ( http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ ), where there's a
click-to-install link in the upper right corner. (click there to
update your installation, too).

Warning: the first time your run this, it will re-install everything.
This is expected - it doesn't really know what you had installed
before, so it will re-install and record exactly what you've got.  On
the plus side, since it *knows* what you've got, running setup again
later will *automatically* update and/or add anything new.  You no
longer need to worry about cumbersome command line parameters or that
annoying warning about making sure you're running in an empty
directory.

The old setup has been renamed to "old-setup.exe" in the same ftp
location.

Comments to this list, please.

Enjoy!

DJ