* Mutt and gpg 1.4
@ 2018-09-19 15:51 john doe
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: john doe @ 2018-09-19 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

When I install 'mutt' through command line '... --packages mutt ...' it
works.
gpg-1.4.23 is installed as dependency.

I rather use gpg4win already installed on my host.

How can I remove gpg-1.4.23 and all related dependencies through command
line or how can I prevent, through command line, 'gpg' from being
installed when installing mutt?

Thanks for any help.

--
John Doe

* Re: Mutt and gpg 1.4
@ 2018-09-19 16:00 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-09-19 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 19.09.2018 um 17:51 schrieb john doe:
> Hi,
>
> When I install 'mutt' through command line '... --packages mutt ...' it
> works.
> gpg-1.4.23 is installed as dependency.
>
> I rather use gpg4win already installed on my host.
>
> How can I remove gpg-1.4.23 and all related dependencies through command
> line or how can I prevent, through command line, 'gpg' from being
> installed when installing mutt?
>
> Thanks for any help.

cygwin setup has no concept of optional dependencies.
So if you remove gpg it will propose again to be installed
next time you run it.

---

* Re: Mutt and gpg 1.4
@ 2018-09-19 17:49 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-09-19 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/19/2018 11:51 AM, john doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I install 'mutt' through command line '... --packages mutt ...' it
> works.
> gpg-1.4.23 is installed as dependency.
>
> I rather use gpg4win already installed on my host.
>
> How can I remove gpg-1.4.23 and all related dependencies through command
> line or how can I prevent, through command line, 'gpg' from being
> installed when installing mutt?

I can say from experience that the two do not mix well.  The file
permissions and locking between the two distributions of gpg do not lend
to coexistence.  Rather you should be sure to use an export->import
process to keep the two databases in sync.  Do not point your Windows
GPG port and your Cygwin gpg to the same database.

Aside from what I've mentioned in the above, Cygwin mutt is tied to
Cygwin gpg via the library interface so you can't get rid of it.  You
just need to keep the two DB happily in sync which may not be an easy
process if both are adding to their DB, you'll need to export both, add
the differences to one export and import to both.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Mutt and gpg 1.4
@ 2018-09-19 17:59 ` Doug Henderson
From: Doug Henderson @ 2018-09-19 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 09:52, john doe  wrote:

> How can I remove gpg-1.4.23 and all related dependencies through command
> line or how can I prevent, through command line, 'gpg' from being
> installed when installing mutt?

I configured both the windows gpg and cygwin gpg to use the same
directory for the database files.

I have since changed from a desktop to a laptop where I don't have
windows gpg installed, so I can't offer details of how I did it. but I
seem to recall that I either changed to shortcut to windows gpg to
point to the cygwin ~/.gpg directory or made ~/.gpg a symlink to the
windows config and database files. The choice may have depended on the
EOL characters used in the files.

HTH
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com

* Re: Mutt and gpg 1.4
@ 2018-09-19 23:25   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-09-19 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/19/2018 1:59 PM, Doug Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 09:52, john doe  wrote:
>
>> How can I remove gpg-1.4.23 and all related dependencies through command
>> line or how can I prevent, through command line, 'gpg' from being
>> installed when installing mutt?
>
> I configured both the windows gpg and cygwin gpg to use the same
> directory for the database files.
>
> I have since changed from a desktop to a laptop where I don't have
> windows gpg installed, so I can't offer details of how I did it. but I
> seem to recall that I either changed to shortcut to windows gpg to
> point to the cygwin ~/.gpg directory or made ~/.gpg a symlink to the
> windows config and database files. The choice may have depended on the
> EOL characters used in the files.

My experience is that the lock files remains with the Windows version
and the DB actually became unusable with both versions.  I'm guessing
the Enigmail plugin to T'bird leaves the connects to GPG open which
leaves the lock files in place and therefore causes the issues I
experience.  There is also an environment variable `GNUPGHOME' you could
have set.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: Mutt and gpg 1.4
@ 2018-09-20  9:40   ` john doe
From: john doe @ 2018-09-20  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/19/2018 7:49 PM, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 9/19/2018 11:51 AM, john doe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I install 'mutt' through command line '... --packages mutt ...' it
>> works.
>> gpg-1.4.23 is installed as dependency.
>>
>> I rather use gpg4win already installed on my host.
>>
>> How can I remove gpg-1.4.23 and all related dependencies through command
>> line or how can I prevent, through command line, 'gpg' from being
>> installed when installing mutt?
>>

> I can say from experience that the two do not mix well.  The file
> permissions and locking between the two distributions of gpg do not lend
> to coexistence.  Rather you should be sure to use an export->import
> process to keep the two databases in sync.  Do not point your Windows
> GPG port and your Cygwin gpg to the same database.
>
> Aside from what I've mentioned in the above, Cygwin mutt is tied to
> Cygwin gpg via the library interface so you can't get rid of it.  You
> just need to keep the two DB happily in sync which may not be an easy
> process if both are adding to their DB, you'll need to export both, add
> the differences to one export and import to both.

Reading this thread, and given the fact that "gnupg" is not officially
supported on Cygwin.
That left me with two options:

1)  Use cygwinnized gnupg
2)  use gpg4win and enigmail

Any thoughts?

Thanks to "Marco Atzeri" and "Doug Henderson" for their answers and "cyg
Simple" for the above.

--
John Doe

* Re: Mutt and gpg 1.4
@ 2018-09-20  9:53     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-09-20  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 20.09.2018 um 11:40 schrieb john doe:

> Reading this thread, and given the fact that "gnupg" is not officially
> supported on Cygwin.

"officially supported" is almost a useless definition.
The cygwin gnupg package is built from upstream source with no
additional changes, same as the version installed on
Linux or BSD distributions.
Same for all the other packages I package for cygwin.

> That left me with two options:
>
> 1)  Use cygwinnized gnupg
> 2)  use gpg4win and enigmail
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks to "Marco Atzeri" and "Doug Henderson" for their answers and "cyg
> Simple" for the above.

Regards
Marco

---

* Re: Mutt and gpg 1.4
@ 2018-09-20 13:31       ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-09-20 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/20/2018 5:53 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Am 20.09.2018 um 11:40 schrieb john doe:
>

>> Reading this thread, and given the fact that "gnupg" is not officially
>> supported on Cygwin.
>
> "officially supported" is almost a useless definition.

The only "officially supported" items are the items in the Cygwin git
repository.  There are packages delivered by named maintainers of
upstream packages.

> The cygwin gnupg package is built from upstream source with no
> additional changes, same as the version installed on
> Linux or BSD distributions.
> Same for all the other packages I package for cygwin.

And the same for most of the packages delivered by Cygwin.

>> That left me with two options:
>>
>> 1)  Use cygwinnized gnupg

I use this.

>> 2)  use gpg4win and enigmail

I use this too; there is no T'bird for Cygwin as yet, I don't feel like
building it myself and this is the only option you have.

>> Any thoughts?

The choice is yours.

>> Thanks to "Marco Atzeri" and "Doug Henderson" for their answers and
>> "cyg Simple" for the above.

You're welcome for the official support.  This is how Cygwin and most
open source software does that.

--
cyg Simple