Thanks for your reply. I didn't provide enough information last time, sorry about that. Let me start over, with an example and some brief code. Below is some simple code to bring up a shell with a TextField widget in it. When I initialize the TextField widget, I change the code to use 1 of the 2 listed translations: translations_copypaste: This translation table calls the built-in actions for paste-clipboard, copy-clipboard, and cut-clipboard when the familiar ctrl-c, ctrl-x, and ctrl-v are pressed. translations_ignore: This translation table always calls ignore_cut_paste() when the same keys are pressed. This function just prints a message to the console ("Ignoring") so I know it's working. This is almost the entire program. All that is missing is initializing the parent and the app_context. What happens is: On Windows 7 Professional: Both translation tables work as expected: translations_ignore: Correctly causes the text "Ignoring" to print every time ctrl-c, ctrl-x, or ctrl-v are pressed. translations_copypaste: Correctly causes text in the small window to cut/paste/copy as expected and is integrated with the system clipboard. On Windows 11 Enterprise: translations_ignore: Correctly causes the text "Ignoring" to print every time ctrl-c, ctrl-x, or ctrl-v are pressed. translations_copypaste: My application (not the X-Server) crashes every time ctrl-c, ctrl-x, or ctrl-v are pressed. The X-Server seems to continue running. I don't know how to debug this further... it seems like the translation table is working, since the "ignore" translation table works... also, everything works perfectly on Windows 7 professional, so it seems like the "should"" be OK. Code: void ignore_cut_paste(Widget widget, XEvent *event, String *args, int *num_args) { printf("Ignoring\n"); } void TestPaste(Widget parent) { Widget thewin,rowcol,textarea; XtActionsRec actions2; actions2.string = "ignore_cut_paste"; actions2.proc = (XtActionProc)ignore_cut_paste; XtAppAddActions (app_context, &actions2, 1); String translations_copypaste = "#override\n Ctrlv: paste-clipboard()\n Ctrlc: copy-clipboard()\n Ctrlx: cut-clipboard()"; String translations_ignore = "#override\n Ctrlv: ignore_cut_paste()\n Ctrlc: ignore_cut_paste()\n Ctrlx: ignore_cut_paste()"; thewin = XtCreatePopupShell("Test", topLevelShellWidgetClass,parent,NULL,0); rowcol = XtVaCreateWidget ("rowcol",xmRowColumnWidgetClass, thewin, NULL); textarea = XtVaCreateManagedWidget ("test_area", xmTextFieldWidgetClass, rowcol, XmNmaxLength, 80, XmNtranslations, XtParseTranslationTable ( translations_copypaste ) , NULL); XtManageChild(textarea); XtManageChild (rowcol); XtPopup(thewin,XtGrabNone); } -----Original Message----- From: Jon Turney Sent: Saturday, November 4, 2023 11:11 AM To: Stone, Timothy M ; The Cygwin Mailing List Subject: [EXT] Re: XWin copy/paste succeeds on Windows 7, crashes on Windows 11 Enterprise. *** This email originated outside of IDA. Please verify that you recognize the sender and know the content is safe before proceeding. *** On 03/11/2023 20:17, Stone, Timothy M via Cygwin wrote: > > > I'm having a really hard time debugging this issue. > > > > If I use the exact same version of cygwin and XWin, exact same code, exact same Motif GUI app... > > > > I find that when I try to use copy/paste functionality in TextFieldWidgets: > > > > *Cut/Copy/Paste works perfectly on Windows 7 Professional > > > > *Cut/Copy/Paste does not work at all and typically crashes on > Windows 11 Enterprise > I'm assuming this means "the X server crashes", but it's not exactly clear. If that is the case, there are some instructions on generating backtraces to help with debugging at [1]. [1] https://x.cygwin.com/devel/backtrace.html > > I am using an older version of cygwin for this specific test (cygwin 1.7.15 and XWin 1.13.2-1), but I am having the same issue with the latest version as well. > [...] > > Any help greatly appreciated! Seems this must be a system issue since everything about the cygwin and XWin is exactly the same on both systems? It's not really safe to make assumptions like this. This could be a latent bug in XWin which just happens to get exposed on W11 (or that particular system, even)...