* gdb crashes my machine
@ 2002-01-13 11:28 Timothy J. Wood
From: Timothy J. Wood @ 2002-01-13 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

   gdb typically runs fairly well for me, but in some cases where my
program crashes, gdb prints out the fact that my program crashed and
prints the name of some random function I've never heard of (I can get
the name if it would help).  gdb then appears to hang my machine.
Killing it via control-option-delete will just kill the whole machine.

   I'm currently using WinME (since that's what I had on my machine).
Would it be better to upgrade to Win2K or (groan) XP?  Is this a known
problem in gdb?

   I'll try to track down the exact thing that my program is doing wrong,
but if I recall the last time this happened, it was that I had a
function pointer that as NULL and I was calling through it.

   Any suggestions appreciated.  I did try searching the archives, but
searching for 'gdb crash' is an exercise in futility :)

-tim

* Re: gdb crashes my machine
@ 2002-01-13 11:34 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-13 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 11:21:49AM -0800, Timothy J. Wood wrote:

>  gdb typically runs fairly well for me, but in some cases where my
>program crashes, gdb prints out the fact that my program crashed and
>prints the name of some random function I've never heard of (I can get
>the name if it would help).  gdb then appears to hang my machine.
>Killing it via control-option-delete will just kill the whole machine.
>
>  I'm currently using WinME (since that's what I had on my machine).
>Would it be better to upgrade to Win2K or (groan) XP?  Is this a known
>problem in gdb?

It's a known problem in WinME.  If gdb crashes for some reason while it
is debugging a program, then eventually Windows 9x, Windows ME, and, I
believe, Windows NT 4.0, will all hang.

If gdb hangs it can get in the same state.

If you kill gdb from the Task Manager (or whatever) it will put your
system in the same state.

There are a few bugs in gdb which can cause it to crash or hang, but
the fact that this can hose your WinME system is really a WinME bug.

Small consolation, I know.  The only fix is to make sure that gdb doesn't
do that.

Patches gratefully accepted, and all that...

cgf

* Re: gdb crashes my machine
@ 2002-01-13 12:23 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-01-13 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy J. Wood, cygwin

Tim,

If you're debugging a program written in a native language such as C or C++
(as opposed to a interpreted, protected language such as Java), then an
"OS" without a strong memory protection model is hardly an advisable
environment in which to do so. Your life will be full of pain if you try to
develop non-trivial C/C++ code on a non-protected OS platform.

<OT mode="rant">Don't get me started on XP, though. I'll never voluntarily
enter into a subscription relationship with Microsoft. Windows 2K is
survivable, if not particularly palatable. For me, it was only because of
my former employer's demands that I run Windows at all.</OT>

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 11:21 2002-01-13, Timothy J. Wood wrote:
>gdb typically runs fairly well for me, but in some cases where my program
>crashes, gdb prints out the fact that my program crashed and prints the
>name of some random function I've never heard of (I can get the name if it
>would help).  gdb then appears to hang my machine. Killing it via
>control-option-delete will just kill the whole machine.
>
>I'm currently using WinME (since that's what I had on my machine). Would
>it be better to upgrade to Win2K or (groan) XP?  Is this a known problem
>in gdb?
>
>I'll try to track down the exact thing that my program is doing wrong, but
>if I recall the last time this happened, it was that I had a function
>pointer that as NULL and I was calling through it.
>
>Any suggestions appreciated.  I did try searching the archives, but
>searching for 'gdb crash' is an exercise in futility :)
>
>-tim

* Re: gdb crashes my machine
@ 2002-01-13 12:43   ` Timothy J. Wood
From: Timothy J. Wood @ 2002-01-13 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 11:29  AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> It's a known problem in WinME.  If gdb crashes for some reason while it
> is debugging a program, then eventually Windows 9x, Windows ME, and, I
> believe, Windows NT 4.0, will all hang.

   So, Win2K should not have this problem?

-tim

* Re: gdb crashes my machine
@ 2002-01-13 12:44     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-13 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 12:41:27PM -0800, Timothy J. Wood wrote:

>On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 11:29  AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>It's a known problem in WinME.  If gdb crashes for some reason while it
>>is debugging a program, then eventually Windows 9x, Windows ME, and, I
>>believe, Windows NT 4.0, will all hang.
>
>  So, Win2K should not have this problem?

I don't know for sure.  I don't know if it does.  I don't remember seeing
it.  Possibly it did but it may have been fixed in a Service Pack.

cgf

* Re: gdb crashes my machine
@ 2002-01-13 14:33   ` Timothy J. Wood
From: Timothy J. Wood @ 2002-01-13 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz; +Cc: cygwin

On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 11:34  AM, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> If you're debugging a program written in a native language such as C or
> C++ (as opposed to a interpreted, protected language such as Java),
> then an "OS" without a strong memory protection model is hardly an
> advisable environment in which to do so. Your life will be full of pain
> if you try to develop non-trivial C/C++ code on a non-protected OS
> platform.

   Yeah, agreed.  In actuality, I'm working on a cross platform library
and right now I'm just working on the Win32 support.  The vast majority
of my work is done on Mac OS X.  In fact, the app that I'm debugging is
built on Mac OS X via a MinGW cross compiler.  I really am trying to
avoid Win32 as much as possible.

   That said, Cygwin and MinGW make this process extremely easy compared
to how bad it could be :)

-tim

* Re: gdb crashes my machine
@ 2002-01-13 20:29       ` Timothy J. Wood
From: Timothy J. Wood @ 2002-01-13 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

   I went and got WinXP today, installed the latest Cygwin and this
problem is gone.  I presume that Win2K doesn't have this problem either,
but I'm happier now that I can debug in XP.

-tim

On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 12:44  PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 12:41:27PM -0800, Timothy J. Wood wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, January 13, 2002, at 11:29  AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> It's a known problem in WinME.  If gdb crashes for some reason while
>>> it
>>> is debugging a program, then eventually Windows 9x, Windows ME, and, I
>>> believe, Windows NT 4.0, will all hang.
>>
>>  So, Win2K should not have this problem?
>
> I don't know for sure.  I don't know if it does.  I don't remember
> seeing
> it.  Possibly it did but it may have been fixed in a Service Pack.
>
> cgf

* Re: gdb crashes my machine
@ 2002-01-17  9:28 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-17  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

http://cygwin.com/lists.html#see-above

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:42:35PM +0100, Dominik J?nicke wrote:

>gdb is hanging on NT with service pack5
>
>following steps was made:
>
>1. create a simple hello word program and compile it with debug option
>    a.c
>#####
>    #include<stdio.h>
>    main()
>    {
>       printf("Hello World\n");
>    }
>#####
>2. start the debugger
>   $ gdb a.exe
>3. start execution with the run-button
>   a cmd window was opened for a.exe
>4. execute one step
>5. close the running a.exe application, using the close button of the a.exe
>cmd window or the task manager
>   after some seconds the NT System ask for confirmation because the a.exe
>application does not response
>6. close the running; gdb using the close button of the "Source Window" or
>task manager
>
>at this point the windows of a.exe and gdb are frozen and a reset is
>necessary.
>
>Dominik J?nicke
>SOFTEC Daten- und Kommunikationssysteme GmbH
>Promenade 17
>D-89073 Ulm
>Tel: +49-(0)-731-96600-22
>Fax: +49-(0)-731-96600-23
>E-Mail: dominik.jaenicke@softec.de
>Internet: http://www.softec.de
>

>--

Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .

* Re: gdb crashes my machine
@ 2002-01-17  4:00 Dominik Jänicke