* why "Sorry, your message has been denied due to keywords found in  your subject"?
@ 2008-05-09 16:28 Daniel Barclay
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2008-05-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> <cygwin@cygwin.com>:
> Sorry, your message has been denied due to keywords found in your
> subject.  This is probably due to an off-topic post.
> --- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.
...> Subject: widely-spaced characters in rxvt (non-X11 mode)

What the heck is off-topic about rxvt and X11?

Daniel

* RE: why "Sorry, your message has been denied due to keywords found in  your subject"?
@ 2008-05-09 16:34 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-05-09 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Daniel Barclay wrote on 09 May 2008 17:22:

>> <cygwin@cygwin.com>:
>> Sorry, your message has been denied due to keywords found in your
>> subject.  This is probably due to an off-topic post. ...
>> --- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.
> ...> Subject: widely-spaced characters in rxvt (non-X11 mode)
>
> What the heck is off-topic about rxvt and X11?

  There's a separate list for cygwin-X.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: why "Sorry, your message has been denied due to keywords found  in  your subject"?
@ 2008-05-09 20:03   ` Daniel Barclay
  2008-05-10  9:56     ` rxvt in native mode, widely spaced characters [Was: Re: why "Sorry, your message has been denied due to keywords found in your subject"?] Charles Wilson
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2008-05-09 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave Korn wrote:

> Daniel Barclay wrote on 09 May 2008 17:22:
>
>>> <cygwin@cygwin.com>:
>>> Sorry, your message has been denied due to keywords found in your
>>> subject.  This is probably due to an off-topic post. ...
>>> --- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.
>> ...> Subject: widely-spaced characters in rxvt (non-X11 mode)
>>
>> What the heck is off-topic about rxvt and X11?
>
>   There's a separate list for cygwin-X.

So just because I mention that I'm NOT using X11, my message gets rejected
because X11 is off-topic?

Daniel

@ 2008-05-10  9:56     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-05-10  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Daniel Barclay wrote:
> So just because I mention that I'm NOT using X11, my message gets rejected
> because X11 is off-topic?

Yes. The filters aren't that smart -- they are word based, not
natural-language based. So you can't expect them to understand term
negation -- or spammers would start advertising "not not via-g*a."

However, with regards to rxvt in native mode, the widely spaced
characters you are seeing happens when rxvt can't find, or doesn't
understand, the font you specified. So, you'll need to post your
/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt file, your ~/.Xdefaults and/or ~/.Xresources
file, AND the command line you used to invoke rxvt.

--
Chuck

* Re: rxvt in native mode, widely spaced characters [Was: Re: why "Sorry,   your message has been denied due to keywords found  in  your subject"?]
@ 2008-05-12 22:22       ` Daniel Barclay
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2008-05-12 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin cygwin

Charles Wilson wrote:

> However, with regards to rxvt in native mode, the widely spaced
> characters you are seeing happens when rxvt can't find, or doesn't
> understand, the font you specified.

Well, I didn't specify anything.  I haven't touched any of
/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt, ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources, or given any
options on the command line Iused to invoke rxvt.

I am using whatever the CygWin packages and installer installed on my
machine, which evidently changes in non-intuitive ways when I re-run it
to modify the combinations of packages I have installed even though I'm
not (consciously) touching any X11 or font-related packages).

Just now, I tried installing the ruby package, and as soon as I started rxvt,
it started in messed-up form--widely spaced characters, in yellow, on a dark
blue background--rather than the way it started immediately before--normally
spaced characters, in black, on a white background.

Does that color change give any hints regarding what's happening (what
unrelated thing got modified when I re-ran cygwin.exe to install Ruby)?

Hmm.  Those colors seem to match what's in /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt:

Rxvt*background:        #000040
Rxvt*foreground:        #ffffbf
Rxvt*scrollBar:		true
Rxvt*scrollBar_right:   true
Rxvt*font:		-bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal--*-160-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
Rxvt*boldfont:		-bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-bold-r-normal--*-160-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
Rxvt*saveLines:         10000
!Rxvt*loginshell:	true
Rxvt.backspacekey:      ^H

What's the command to determine which cygwin package installs that file?

Is there a dependency problem in that that package does not depend on the package
containing the font that that first package depends on?

Most importantly, how to I get rvxt to work right (and consistently)?

Daniel

@ 2008-05-12 22:30         ` Daniel Barclay
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2008-05-12 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin cygwin

I wrote:

> I am using whatever the CygWin packages and installer installed on my
> machine, which evidently changes in non-intuitive ways when I re-run it
> to modify the combinations of packages I have installed even though I'm
> not (consciously) touching any X11 or font-related packages).
>
> Just now, I tried installing the ruby package, and as soon as I started
> rxvt,
> it started in messed-up form--widely spaced characters, in yellow, on a
> dark
> blue background--rather than the way it started immediately
> before--normally
> spaced characters, in black, on a white background.
>
> Does that color change give any hints regarding what's happening (what
> unrelated thing got modified when I re-ran cygwin.exe to install Ruby)?
>
> Hmm.  Those colors seem to match what's in
> /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt:
>
> Rxvt*background:        #000040
> Rxvt*foreground:        #ffffbf
> Rxvt*scrollBar:        true
> Rxvt*scrollBar_right:   true
> Rxvt*font:        -bitstream-bitstream vera sans
> mono-medium-r-normal--*-160-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
> Rxvt*boldfont:        -bitstream-bitstream vera sans
> mono-bold-r-normal--*-160-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
> Rxvt*saveLines:         10000
> !Rxvt*loginshell:    true
> Rxvt.backspacekey:      ^H
>
> What's the command to determine which cygwin package installs that file?

Never mind; I found cygcheck.

I still don't understand what's going on with rxvt.

When I modify or remove /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt, nothing changes.

On one hand, that makes sense--I'm not (knowingly) running X11.

On the other hand, it's a little strange that rxvt is still using the colors
given in that file.  Is rxvt getting them from compiled-in values, or is it
getting them from somewhere else?

(I also terminated all CygWin processes, started bash, and ran rxvt to see
if CygWin somehow was emulating xrdb's behavior (of reading the X11 defaults) some
other way, but there was still no difference.)

In any case, that still leaves unanswered the question of what makes rvxt switch
between normally spaced black characters on a white background vs. widely spaced
yellow on blue.

What else does rxvt read?

Does rxvt switch to some more-basic default (i.e., the black-on-white setting rather
than the yellow-on-blue setting) if it can't find something it's looking for?

What else might be going on?

Thanks,
Daniel

@ 2008-05-12 22:39         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-05-12 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Daniel Barclay wrote:

> Well, I didn't specify anything.  I haven't touched any of
> /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt, ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources, or given any
> options on the command line Iused to invoke rxvt.
>
> I am using whatever the CygWin packages and installer installed on my
> machine, which evidently changes in non-intuitive ways when I re-run it
> to modify the combinations of packages I have installed even though I'm
> not (consciously) touching any X11 or font-related packages).

No. There is something else going on, but Ruby does NOT affect rxvt.

However, I suggest rather than blindly re-installing/un-installing
packages at random, you instead read the documentation.

/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rxvt-20050409.README

> Just now, I tried installing the ruby package, and as soon as I started
> rxvt,
> it started in messed-up form--widely spaced characters, in yellow, on a
> dark
> blue background--rather than the way it started immediately
> before--normally
> spaced characters, in black, on a white background.

"before" == default when rxvt can't find, and is not explicitly given,
any configuration information at all.

"after" == rxvt found the default system app-defaults file
(/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt) but you do not have the fonts that it
specifies.

Either install the bitstream vera fonts in your Windows sytem, (e.g. go
to Control Panel/Fonts...
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera/1.10/

Or change the specified font.  You can do the latter by editing the
/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt file itself, or overriding it for your
particular account by
  (1) creating a ~/.Xdefaults file that specifies a different font
  (2) explicitly starting rxvt with the '-fn <some font>' option

> Does that color change give any hints regarding what's happening (what
> unrelated thing got modified when I re-ran cygwin.exe to install Ruby)?

My guess is that rxvt's own postinstall script, which is supposed to
copy /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt into the actual
/etc/X11/app-defaults/ directory failed the first time you ran setup.
Then second time you ran setup, it tried again to run all the
post-install scripts that had not yet succeeded. This second time, it
worked, and you are now the proud owner of an /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt
file, which rxvt.exe now finds.

> Hmm.  Those colors seem to match what's in
> /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt:
>
> Rxvt*background:        #000040
> Rxvt*foreground:        #ffffbf
> Rxvt*scrollBar:        true
> Rxvt*scrollBar_right:   true
> Rxvt*font:        -bitstream-bitstream vera sans
> mono-medium-r-normal--*-160-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
> Rxvt*boldfont:        -bitstream-bitstream vera sans
> mono-bold-r-normal--*-160-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
> Rxvt*saveLines:         10000
> !Rxvt*loginshell:    true
> Rxvt.backspacekey:      ^H
>
> What's the command to determine which cygwin package installs that file?

cygcheck -f /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt

which will tell you it is, perhaps unsurprisingly, installed by the rxvt
package.  However, that is the *default* version of the file. The actual
file that is used by rxvt at runtime is in /etc/X11/app-defaults/, not
in /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/.  It is copied from one location
to the other by (again, surprise!) the rxvt post-installation script,
which is automatically executed by setup.exe the first time you install
the rxvt package -- or every time you run setup.exe, until the script
succeeds if there were unexpected problems.

> Is there a dependency problem in that that package does not depend on
> the package
> containing the font that that first package depends on?

No.

> Most importantly, how to I get rvxt to work right (and consistently)?

Change the two lines that start with Rxvt*font and Rxvt*boldfont in
/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt with the following (or override using
~/.Xdefaults). Each entry should be all on one line, and mind the space
between Lucida and Console (ditto Courier and New):

Either

Rxvt*font:             -outline-Lucida
Console-normal-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
Rxvt*boldfont:         -outline-Lucida
Console-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1

Or

Rxvt*font:             -outline-Courier
New-normal-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
Rxvt*boldfont:         -outline-Courier
New-bold-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1

Alternatively, you can specify the font on the command line (but there,
you have to use "windows" names for the fonts, not the XLFD names above.
That is,

rxvt.exe -fn "Lucida Console-14" ...

or

rxvt.exe -fn "Courier New-16"

--

@ 2008-05-12 23:03           ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-05-12 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Daniel Barclay wrote:

> I still don't understand what's going on with rxvt.
>
> When I modify or remove /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt, nothing
> changes.

Correct. Because that is the *default* file (that's why it is underneath
/etc/defaults/).  The actual file used at runtime is over in
/etc/X11/app-defaults/.

> On one hand, that makes sense--I'm not (knowingly) running X11.
>
> On the other hand, it's a little strange that rxvt is still using the
> colors
> given in that file.  Is rxvt getting them from compiled-in values, or is it
> getting them from somewhere else?

It's getting them from /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt.  rxvt parses the
X11/app-defaults file itself, and does not rely on the Xserver's 'xrdb'
(resource management) to do it.

> (I also terminated all CygWin processes, started bash, and ran rxvt to see
> if CygWin somehow was emulating xrdb's behavior (of reading the X11
> defaults) some
> other way, but there was still no difference.)

Because nothing (that matters) changed. /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt was
still there, and rxvt itself read the contents.

> In any case, that still leaves unanswered the question of what makes
> rvxt switch
> between normally spaced black characters on a white background vs.
> widely spaced
> yellow on blue.

Hopefully my other message answered this question (and those that
followed which I've snipped out).

--

@ 2008-05-13 15:43           ` Daniel Barclay
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2008-05-13 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Daniel Barclay wrote:
> However, I suggest rather than blindly re-installing/un-installing
> packages at random

Hey, I wasn't randomly installing and uninstalling packages.  My setup was
seemingly working fine until I installed some unrelated package (Ruby) and then
rxvt changed behavior.  Something in the overall installation (running CygWin.exe)
broke my rxvt setup.  That sounds like something is wrong in selected-package
management in CygWin.exe (most likely its user interface (i.e., not making it
clear what is happening)).  [Now that I see your hyphothesis below:  Okay,
it's probably not the type of UI problem I thought (unclear package selection
implications), but now I wonder if it displays post-install script messages.]

> , you instead read the documentation.
>
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rxvt-20050409.README

Where's the documentation on CygWin.exe and things such as whether it remembers
previous selections (no, right?), and how to add a package without touching
anything else (except also installing what it depends on, of course).

>> Just now, I tried installing the ruby package, and as soon as I
>> started rxvt,
>> it started in messed-up form--widely spaced characters, in yellow, on
>> a dark
>> blue background--rather than the way it started immediately
>> before--normally
>> spaced characters, in black, on a white background.
>
> "before" == default when rxvt can't find, and is not explicitly given,
> any configuration information at all.
 >
 > "after" == rxvt found the default system app-defaults file
 > (/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt) but you do not have the fonts that it
 > specifies.

>> Does that color change give any hints regarding what's happening (what
>> unrelated thing got modified when I re-ran cygwin.exe to install Ruby)?
>
> My guess is that rxvt's own postinstall script, which is supposed to
> copy /etc/defaults/etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt into the actual
> /etc/X11/app-defaults/ directory failed the first time you ran setup.
> Then second time you ran setup, it tried again to run all the
> post-install scripts that had not yet succeeded. This second time, it
> worked, and you are now the proud owner of an /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt
> file, which rxvt.exe now finds.

Ah, okay, that sounds like a good theory.  I'll see if I can confirm that
that's what's happening.

> Change the two lines that start with Rxvt*font and Rxvt*boldfont in
> /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt with the following ...

Is there a non-X11 command to list names of and show samples of the available
fonts?  (Or do I need to run X11 to do that?)

Thanks for cutting through the confusion caused by the other misleading answers
I got--and especially for explaining the core of what is or might be happening,
rather that just saying to install fonts.

Daniel