* Recently installed cygwin - cannot install gcc
@ 2008-05-13 13:44 David Ziants
From: David Ziants @ 2008-05-13 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Installed cygwin under Windows XP prof, and the basic environment works.
I cannot do gcc nor can I find reference to the compiler under any of
the bin directories.

Have run the setup a second time (as advised by documentation) and also
tried reinstalling from a different mirror. Explicitly tried to
install/reinstall the "develop" package where gcc is supposed to be
installable from.

Could not glean any hints from the log file.

What have I missed? What did I do wrong?

David Ziants

dziants at 013 dot net

PS Please reply to my personal email address (putting symbols for "at"
and "dot" of course) above, as well as to the group..

* Re: Recently installed cygwin - cannot install gcc
@ 2008-05-13 13:45 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2008-05-13 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ziants; +Cc: Cygwin-L

David Ziants wrote:
> Explicitly tried to
> install/reinstall the "develop" package where gcc is supposed to be
> installable from.

While setup.exe will let you install the entire Devel category, that's
probably not what you actually did, nor do you generally want to.
There's a whole lot of stuff in that category, most of which you'll
probably never need.

What you probably want is to open that section up, then click where it
says "Skip" next to every individual package you want that isn't
currently installed.  Each time you click, it changes to a different
mode for the package; you want to see Keep, a version number, or
Reinstall, not Skip or Default.  setup.exe handles dependencies
automatically, so a minimal install is to click on gcc-core.  You'll
probably need other things as well, such as make, a text editor,
additional compilers, etc.

Having to go back through setup.exe several times is normal, by the way.
  I rarely get a fresh Cygwin setup right the first time.  As you begin
to use it, you'll discover something lacking, and usually it's available
in Cygwin but not installed by default.

* Re: Recently installed cygwin - cannot install gcc
@ 2008-05-13 15:05   ` David Ziants
From: David Ziants @ 2008-05-13 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Young; +Cc: Cygwin-L

Thanks for your response.

I did reinstall yet again, and went to a third mirror. A lot more opened
up than on the initial attempts, and so found what I needed.

Are all the mirrors equal?

David

@ 2008-05-13 17:50 ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2008-05-13 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

2008/5/13 David Ziants <dziants@013.net>:
> Installed cygwin under Windows XP prof, and the basic environment works. I
> cannot do gcc nor can I find reference to the compiler under any of the bin
> directories.
>

>  Have run the setup a second time (as advised by documentation) and also
> tried reinstalling from a different mirror. Explicitly tried to
> install/reinstall the "develop" package where gcc is supposed to be
> installable from.

install gcc-core and not gcc.
gcc has an invalid tar for me also.

--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/ http://murbreak.at/

* RE: Recently installed cygwin - cannot install gcc
@ 2008-05-13 20:12   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-05-13 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Reini Urban wrote on 13 May 2008 18:34:

> 2008/5/13 David Ziants <dziants@013>:
>> Installed cygwin under Windows XP prof, and the basic environment works.
>> I cannot do gcc nor can I find reference to the compiler under any of
>> the bin directories.
>>

>>  Have run the setup a second time (as advised by documentation) and also
>> tried reinstalling from a different mirror. Explicitly tried to
>> install/reinstall the "develop" package where gcc is supposed to be
>> installable from.
>
> install gcc-core and not gcc.

  If you're going to do that, you will have to manually install the C++
packages that gcc would pull in that gcc-core doesn't: "gcc-g++
gcc-mingw-g++".  (Assuming you want C++, of course, but most folks do....)

> gcc has an invalid tar for me also.

  Setup.exe version numbers involved?  There have been some issues there
lately to do with how we define an "empty" tarball[*], but:

/artimi/software/firmware $ wget
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/cygwin/release/gcc/gcc-3.4.4-3.tar.bz2
--18:50:43--  http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/cygwin/release/gcc/gcc-3.4.4-3.tar.bz2
           => `gcc-3.4.4-3.tar.bz2'
Resolving ftp.heanet.ie... 193.1.193.64
Connecting to ftp.heanet.ie|193.1.193.64|:80... connected.
Length: 46 [application/x-tar]

100%[====================================>] 46            --.--K/s

18:50:43 (485.02 KB/s) - `gcc-3.4.4-3.tar.bz2' saved [46/46]

@_______. .
(       /"\
 ||--||(___)
 '"  '"'---'
/artimi/software/firmware $ tar tvfj gcc-3.4.4-3.tar.bz2  && echo OK
OK
@_______. .
(       /"\
 ||--||(___)
 '"  '"'---'
/artimi/software/firmware $

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] - See http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2008-05/msg00055.html and
subsequent thread for info.

* Re: Recently installed cygwin - cannot install gcc
@ 2008-05-14 21:21     ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2008-05-14 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave Korn schrieb:
> Reini Urban wrote on 13 May 2008 18:34:
>> 2008/5/13 David Ziants:
>>> Installed cygwin under Windows XP prof, and the basic environment works.
>>> I cannot do gcc nor can I find reference to the compiler under any of
>>> the bin directories.
>>>
>>>  Have run the setup a second time (as advised by documentation) and also
>>> tried reinstalling from a different mirror. Explicitly tried to
>>> install/reinstall the "develop" package where gcc is supposed to be
>>> installable from.
>> install gcc-core and not gcc.
>
>   If you're going to do that, you will have to manually install the C++
> packages that gcc would pull in that gcc-core doesn't: "gcc-g++
> gcc-mingw-g++".  (Assuming you want C++, of course, but most folks do....)
>
>> gcc has an invalid tar for me also.
>
>   Setup.exe version numbers involved?  There have been some issues there
> lately to do with how we define an "empty" tarball[*], but:

> [*] - See http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2008-05/msg00055.html and
> subsequent thread for info.

I know. But I've tried a few setup versions in the last week, I simply
forgot which. Maybe the setup-1.7 version.
Probably the one which does not like 46 byte tar's :)