* Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-08 16:03 David
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David @ 2008-06-08 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The GNU "host" command is a useful DNS lookup utility.

Is the "host" command available in cygwin?
(Cygwin does not install it by default)

If the "host" utility is available in cygwin, which cygwin package
should I install to have it?

otherwise, is there are simple "host" alternative in a cygwin package?
(console application, not a graphical user interface)

Many thanks,
DAvid

* Re: Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-08 16:53 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-06-08 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 05:52:06PM +0200, David wrote:
> The GNU "host" command is a useful DNS lookup utility.
>
> Is the "host" command available in cygwin?
> (Cygwin does not install it by default)
>
>If the "host" utility is available in cygwin, which cygwin package
>should I install to have it?

To answer "which cygwin package should I install" questions, cast your
eyes to the left bar on the cygwin web page and find:

Software
  Setup Package Search

cgf

* Re: Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-08 17:13   ` David
From: David @ 2008-06-08 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2008-06-08 18:03:12 +0200, Christopher Faylor
<cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com> said:

> On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 05:52:06PM +0200, David wrote:
>> The GNU "host" command is a useful DNS lookup utility.
>>
>> Is the "host" command available in cygwin?
>> (Cygwin does not install it by default)
>>
>> If the "host" utility is available in cygwin, which cygwin package
>> should I install to have it?
>
> To answer "which cygwin package should I install" questions, cast your
> eyes to the left bar on the cygwin web page and find:
>
> Software
>   Setup Package Search
>
> cgf

I have already done that, and I have not found the solution.

There are two possible explanations for this:
1- The "host" utility is not available at Cygwin
2- I didn't find it, even using the "Setup Package Search" utility.

That's why I ask again the same question:

@ 2008-06-08 17:14     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-06-08 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 06:53:28PM +0200, David wrote:
> On 2008-06-08 18:03:12 +0200, Christopher Faylor
> <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com> said:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 05:52:06PM +0200, David wrote:
>>> The GNU "host" command is a useful DNS lookup utility.
>>> Is the "host" command available in cygwin?
>>> (Cygwin does not install it by default)
>>> If the "host" utility is available in cygwin, which cygwin package
>>> should I install to have it?
>> To answer "which cygwin package should I install" questions, cast your
>> eyes to the left bar on the cygwin web page and find:
>> Software
>>   Setup Package Search
>
> I have already done that, and I have not found the solution.
>
> There are two possible explanations for this:
> 1- The "host" utility is not available at Cygwin
> 2- I didn't find it, even using the "Setup Package Search" utility.

The Setup Package Search is the definitive source.  If you can't find
"host" there it means it isn't available as a standard cygwin package.

cgf

* Re: Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-08 17:52 ` cuicui
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: cuicui @ 2008-06-08 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David a écrit :
> The GNU "host" command is a useful DNS lookup utility.
>
> Is the "host" command available in cygwin?
> (Cygwin does not install it by default)
>
> If the "host" utility is available in cygwin, which cygwin package
> should I install to have it?
>
> otherwise, is there are simple "host" alternative in a cygwin package?
> (console application, not a graphical user interface)

You can use the offical Bind "binary kit" for windows:

http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/view/?release=9.5.0

It contains the server side of Bind but also the client utilities (dig,
host, etc.)

You can extract the binaries you interested in and make a personalized
cygwin package called "bindtools" out of it.

Be careful, the "host.exe" and "dig.exe" need some weird other binaries
files such as the *.manifest files (i'm speaking of version 9.4.x, i did
not try 9.5.x yet).

These is the content of my bindtools-9.4.2.tar.bz2 archive:

bin/bindevt.dll
bin/BINDInstall.exe
bin/dig.exe
bin/host.exe
bin/libbind9.dll
bin/libdns.dll
bin/libeay32.dll
bin/libisc.dll
bin/libisccc.dll
bin/libisccfg.dll
bin/liblwres.dll
bin/mfc80.dll
bin/mfc80u.dll
bin/mfcm80.dll
bin/mfcm80u.dll
bin/Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest
bin/Microsoft.VC80.MFC.manifest
bin/Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC.manifest
bin/msvcm80.dll
bin/msvcp80.dll
bin/msvcr80.dll
bin/nslookup.exe

Regards,

Nicolas

* Re: Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-08 18:14   ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2008-06-08 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cuicui <cuicui.oizo <at> free.fr> writes:
> David a écrit :
> > If the "host" utility is available in cygwin, which cygwin package
> > should I install to have it?
>
> You can use the offical Bind "binary kit" for windows:
[...]
> Be careful, the "host.exe" and "dig.exe" need some weird other binaries
> files such as the *.manifest files (i'm speaking of version 9.4.x, i did
> not try 9.5.x yet).

Why inflict the "weird other binaries" on the OP?  The vanilla Bind 9.4.2 (and
likely later) package from ISC builds OOTB with Cygwin.

http://www.isc.org/sw/dl?pkg=bind9/9.4.2/bind-
9.4.2.tar.gz&name=BIND%209.4.2%20Source

..mark

* Re: Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-08 19:21     ` cuicui
From: cuicui @ 2008-06-08 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mark Geisert a écrit :

>>> If the "host" utility is available in cygwin, which cygwin
>>> package should I install to have it?
>> You can use the offical Bind "binary kit" for windows:
> [...]
>> Be careful, the "host.exe" and "dig.exe" need some weird other
>> binaries files such as the *.manifest files (i'm speaking of
>> version 9.4.x, i did not try 9.5.x yet).
>
> Why inflict the "weird other binaries" on the OP?  The vanilla Bind
> 9.4.2 (and likely later) package from ISC builds OOTB with Cygwin.

Because building and testing a "bindtools" package from the official
source code and sharing it to the community sounds like the job of a
Cygwin package maintainer ;)

If anyone volunteers to do that, I'll be more than pleased to use an
"official" Cygwin package of Bind instead of doing some dark magic to
make it work. In the meanwhile I prefer using the binary kit provided by
ISC.

Regards,

Nicolas

* Port Bind to Cygwin. $100.
@ 2008-06-08 20:55   ` David
From: David @ 2008-06-08 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2008-06-08 19:13:48 +0200, cuicui <cuicui.oizo@free.fr> said:
> You can use the offical Bind "binary kit" for windows:
> http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/view/?release=9.5.0
>
> It contains the server side of Bind but also the client utilities (dig,
> host, etc.)
> You can extract the binaries you interested in and make a personalized
> cygwin package called "bindtools" out of it.

Hello Nicolas,

Thanks for your answer.

I also think that making a cygwin package of the official Bind tools
would be useful for other people also.

I cannot get into it, but I offer $100 to someone that makes it (it
must be accepted as an official cygwin package).
If someone is interested, please let me know.

@ 2008-06-08 21:31       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-06-08 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 08:14:34PM +0200, cuicui wrote:
> Mark Geisert a ?crit :

>>> You can use the offical Bind "binary kit" for windows:
>> [...]
>>> Be careful, the "host.exe" and "dig.exe" need some weird other
>>> binaries files such as the *.manifest files (i'm speaking of
>>> version 9.4.x, i did not try 9.5.x yet).
>> Why inflict the "weird other binaries" on the OP?  The vanilla Bind
>> 9.4.2 (and likely later) package from ISC builds OOTB with Cygwin.
>
> Because building and testing a "bindtools" package from the official
> source code and sharing it to the community sounds like the job of a
> Cygwin package maintainer ;)
>
> If anyone volunteers to do that, I'll be more than pleased to use an
> "official" Cygwin package of Bind instead of doing some dark magic to
> make it work. In the meanwhile I prefer using the binary kit provided by
> ISC.

Any reason why you can't volunteer?  It's not that hard.

cgf

* Re: Port Bind to Cygwin. $100.
@ 2008-06-08 21:35     ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2008-06-08 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David schrieb:
> On 2008-06-08 19:13:48 +0200, cuicui <cuicui.oizo@free.fr> said:
>> You can use the offical Bind "binary kit" for windows:
>> http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/view/?release=9.5.0
>>
>> It contains the server side of Bind but also the client utilities
>> (dig, host, etc.)
>> You can extract the binaries you interested in and make a personalized
>> cygwin package called "bindtools" out of it.
>
> Hello Nicolas,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> I also think that making a cygwin package of the official Bind tools
> would be useful for other people also.
>
> I cannot get into it, but I offer $100 to someone that makes it (it must
> be accepted as an official cygwin package).
> If someone is interested, please let me know.

cygwinports already has the package "bind" with all dnsutils, libs and
the server. Unfortunately sunsite.dk is down right now.
You would only have to grab the src package, recompile and ITP it.

BTW: The names or the client utils as package vary between bind-tools
(redhat,fedora), dnsutils (debian), bind-tools (gentoo).
cygwinports has all clients in the bind package, which is bind9.
Which is good for the clients but harder for the server, imho.
host usually has its own package, called bind-host.
--
Reini Urban

* Re: Port Bind to Cygwin. $100.
@ 2008-06-08 22:04       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-06-08 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 11:33:22PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
> David schrieb:
>> On 2008-06-08 19:13:48 +0200, cuicui <cuicui.oizo@free.fr> said:
>>>You can use the offical Bind "binary kit" for windows:
>>>http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/view/?release=9.5.0
>>>
>>>It contains the server side of Bind but also the client utilities (dig,
>>>host, etc.) You can extract the binaries you interested in and make a
>>>personalized cygwin package called "bindtools" out of it.
>>
>>Thanks for your answer.  I also think that making a cygwin package of
>>the official Bind tools would be useful for other people also.  I
>>cannot get into it, but I offer $100 to someone that makes it (it must
>>be accepted as an official cygwin package).  If someone is interested,
>>please let me know.
>
>cygwinports already has the package "bind" with all dnsutils, libs and
>the server.  Unfortunately sunsite.dk is down right now.  You would
>only have to grab the src package, recompile and ITP it.

Any reason why this isn't it in the distribution?

cgf

* Re: Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-08 22:24         ` cuicui
From: cuicui @ 2008-06-08 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor a écrit :

>>> [...]
>>> Why inflict the "weird other binaries" on the OP?  The vanilla
>>> Bind 9.4.2 (and likely later) package from ISC builds OOTB with
>>> Cygwin.
>> Because building and testing a "bindtools" package from the
>> official source code and sharing it to the community sounds like
>> the job of a Cygwin package maintainer ;)
>>
>> If anyone volunteers to do that, I'll be more than pleased to use
>> an "official" Cygwin package of Bind instead of doing some dark
>> magic to make it work. In the meanwhile I prefer using the binary
>> kit provided by ISC.
>
> Any reason why you can't volunteer?  It's not that hard.

Thanks for the offer but even if I build linux stuff on my own because
official packages don't meet my requirement, I'm not a developer so I
don't think I'm qualified for these (I think this is a dev job more than
a sysadmin thing).

Regards,

Nicolas

* Re: Port Bind to Cygwin. $100.
@ 2008-06-09  0:11         ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2008-06-09  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

2008/6/8 Christopher Faylor:
> On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 11:33:22PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>>cygwinports already has the package "bind" with all dnsutils, libs and
>>the server.  Unfortunately sunsite.dk is down right now.  You would
>>only have to grab the src package, recompile and ITP it.
>
> Any reason why this isn't it in the distribution?

Because I'm not maintaining our nameserver anymore...
ISC bind made my life worse then expected. - I wrote a proprietary
mysql storage backend for it.

So it should be someone else.

* Re: Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-09 16:54 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2008-06-09 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Is the "host" command available in cygwin?
> (Cygwin does not install it by default)

It's not, and it should be.  I've tried to build it from the BIND source on at
least one occasion.  The build succeeded, but host and dig both hung in an
unpleasant way that required me to kill their parent shells.  IIRC other people
have tried it and gotten similar results.  But that was more than a year ago
that I tried-- it would be worth trying again.

As Christopher says, if we can get the executables to run, then packaging them
isn't hard.

A.

* Re: Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-10 17:56   ` jtriedl
From: jtriedl @ 2008-06-10 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just tried the following with bind9.5.0.  The files in the archive have
changed quite a bit (no more .manifest files, for instance), but most of the
instructions still seemed to make sense.  However, the resulting executables
don't run:

% dig smbserver
bash: /usr/bin/dig: Permission denied

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

@ 2008-06-10 19:20     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-06-10 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:49:02AM -0700, jtriedl wrote:
>I just tried the following with bind9.5.0.  The files in the archive have
>changed quite a bit (no more .manifest files, for instance), but most of the
>instructions still seemed to make sense.  However, the resulting executables
>don't run:
>
>% dig smbserver
>bash: /usr/bin/dig: Permission denied
>Any ideas?

chmod a+x /usr/bin/dig.exe ?

cgf

* Re: Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-10 20:49       ` jtriedl
From: jtriedl @ 2008-06-10 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

LOL.  I should have mentioned that I checked all the obvious permission
things, and they're all what one would expect:

(riedl-ibm-x40: /) ll /usr/bin/nslookup.exe
60K -rwxr-xr-x 1 riedl Users 60K Jun 10 10:23 /usr/bin/nslookup.exe*
(riedl-ibm-x40: /) ll /usr/bin/dig.exe
72K -rwxr-xr-x 1 riedl Users 72K Jun 10 10:23 /usr/bin/dig.exe*
(riedl-ibm-x40: /)

I was speculating that the permission was some windows restriction on
sending low-level name service requests, but I was hoping someone on this
list would know more.

John

@ 2008-06-10 21:04         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-06-10 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:20:10PM -0700, jtriedl wrote:
>LOL.  I should have mentioned that I checked all the obvious permission
>things, and they're all what one would expect:
>
>(riedl-ibm-x40: /) ll /usr/bin/nslookup.exe
>60K -rwxr-xr-x 1 riedl Users 60K Jun 10 10:23 /usr/bin/nslookup.exe*
>(riedl-ibm-x40: /) ll /usr/bin/dig.exe
>72K -rwxr-xr-x 1 riedl Users 72K Jun 10 10:23 /usr/bin/dig.exe*
>(riedl-ibm-x40: /)
>
>I was speculating that the permission was some windows restriction on
>sending low-level name service requests, but I was hoping someone on this
>list would know more.

You're getting a bash error which indicates that the program can't be
executed.  That means that either the exe is invalid or it isn't
executable.

cgf

* Re: Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-10 21:33         ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2008-06-10 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

jtriedl wrote:

> LOL.  I should have mentioned that I checked all the obvious permission
> things, and they're all what one would expect:
>
> (riedl-ibm-x40: /) ll /usr/bin/nslookup.exe
> 60K -rwxr-xr-x 1 riedl Users 60K Jun 10 10:23 /usr/bin/nslookup.exe*
> (riedl-ibm-x40: /) ll /usr/bin/dig.exe
> 72K -rwxr-xr-x 1 riedl Users 72K Jun 10 10:23 /usr/bin/dig.exe*
> (riedl-ibm-x40: /)
>
> I was speculating that the permission was some windows restriction on
> sending low-level name service requests, but I was hoping someone on this
> list would know more.

ISC's BIND works fine out of the box (no "instructions" followed).  No
real answer to your question, my guess is that you did something wrong
(like follow "instructions" for a Microsoft compiler or build in a weird
file system, not NTFS, perhaps a network share or NFS mounted with no
execute permission).

$ tar xvf bind-9.5.0.tar.gz
$ cd bind-9.5.0
$ ./configure --enable-threads --with-openssl=yes --with-libtool
$ make
$ make install
$ which dig
/usr/local/bin/dig
$ dig smbserver

; <<>> DiG 9.5.0 <<>> smbserver
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;smbserver.                     IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       8267    IN      SOA     A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
NSTLD.VERISIGN-GRS.COM. 2008061000 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 9 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Jun 10 16:25:37 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 102
--
René Berber

* Re: Cygwin DNS lookup utility
@ 2008-06-10 22:39           ` jtriedl
From: jtriedl @ 2008-06-10 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It's great that this works.  I'll do it this way.  The directions I was
trying to follow were about how to take the *binary* for Windows and use it
directly.

John

René Berber-2 wrote:

> jtriedl wrote:
>
>> LOL.  I should have mentioned that I checked all the obvious permission
>> things, and they're all what one would expect:
>>
>> (riedl-ibm-x40: /) ll /usr/bin/nslookup.exe
>> 60K -rwxr-xr-x 1 riedl Users 60K Jun 10 10:23 /usr/bin/nslookup.exe*
>> (riedl-ibm-x40: /) ll /usr/bin/dig.exe
>> 72K -rwxr-xr-x 1 riedl Users 72K Jun 10 10:23 /usr/bin/dig.exe*
>> (riedl-ibm-x40: /)
>>
>> I was speculating that the permission was some windows restriction on
>> sending low-level name service requests, but I was hoping someone on this
>> list would know more.
>
> ISC's BIND works fine out of the box (no "instructions" followed).  No
> real answer to your question, my guess is that you did something wrong
> (like follow "instructions" for a Microsoft compiler or build in a weird
> file system, not NTFS, perhaps a network share or NFS mounted with no
> execute permission).
>
> $ tar xvf bind-9.5.0.tar.gz
> $ cd bind-9.5.0
> $ ./configure --enable-threads --with-openssl=yes --with-libtool
> $ make
> $ make install
> $ which dig
> /usr/local/bin/dig
> $ dig smbserver
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.5.0 <<>> smbserver
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 52334
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;smbserver.                     IN      A
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> .                       8267    IN      SOA     A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
> NSTLD.VERISIGN-GRS.COM. 2008061000 1800 900 604800 86400
>
> ;; Query time: 9 msec
> ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
> ;; WHEN: Tue Jun 10 16:25:37 2008
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 102