* setup.exe command line parameters
@ 2008-06-20 19:54 Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-06-20 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

With all of the talk about setup package selection and
install procedures, I have a little story.

One of the things I do for fun is write replacement firmware for
the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT - specifically pbLua. I needed an easy way
to build the ARM7 cross compiler, and to locate and program the
NXT via libusb.

More importantly, I needed to share how to build it, which I have
not yet done.

Long story short, I ended up using a hacked older version of setup.exe
that accepted a -p parameter and a list of packages. It worked great!

Is there a compelling reason why that patch can't be applied to the
current setup and released? Are there security or stability issues
I'm not thinking about?

That being said, I CAN run setup.exe in unattended quiet mode and
get a BASE cygwin install done, and I'm quite happy with that. But
I'd really, really like to specify packages on the command line.

Can I help by offering to update the patch to the current setup?

Ralph

* Re: setup.exe command line parameters
@ 2008-06-20 21:53 ` cuicui
From: cuicui @ 2008-06-20 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ralph Hempel a écrit :
> With all of the talk about setup package selection and install
> procedures, I have a little story.
>
> One of the things I do for fun is write replacement firmware for the
> LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT - specifically pbLua. I needed an easy way to
> build the ARM7 cross compiler, and to locate and program the NXT via
> libusb.
>
> More importantly, I needed to share how to build it, which I have not
> yet done.
>
> Long story short, I ended up using a hacked older version of
> setup.exe that accepted a -p parameter and a list of packages. It
> worked great!
>
> Is there a compelling reason why that patch can't be applied to the
> current setup and released? Are there security or stability issues
> I'm not thinking about?
>
> That being said, I CAN run setup.exe in unattended quiet mode and get
> a BASE cygwin install done, and I'm quite happy with that. But I'd
> really, really like to specify packages on the command line.
>
> Can I help by offering to update the patch to the current setup?

You need to modify the "setup.ini" file, create "virtual" (empty)
package that belongs to the "Base" category and make all the additional
packages you want dependant of this virtual package by filling the
"requires" field.

That's a known-working workaround i'm using for quite a long time.

All the best,

Nicolas

* Re: setup.exe command line parameters
@ 2008-06-21  0:44   ` Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-06-21  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cuicui wrote:

> You need to modify the "setup.ini" file, create "virtual" (empty)
> package that belongs to the "Base" category and make all the additional
> packages you want dependant of this virtual package by filling the
> "requires" field.

Ok, so how do you keep the setup.ini from being downloaded every time
you connect to the server?

My plan is to have a c:\cygwinSetup directory on my local server,
where I have the latest and greatest packages I need, and then
on each machine (usually vmware machines) that I need to install on,
I have a possibly different set of needs besides Base.

So one set of scripts grabs all the packages we need to the server, and
the other set of scripts builds the cygwin installation on the local
machines. This reduces the overall load on the mirrors.

I guess I'm actually implementing a local mirror for the packages, now
that I think about it. Is there a way to limit the scope of the packages
that I choose to mirror locally?

@ 2008-06-21 14:45 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-06-21 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ralph Hempel wrote on 20 June 2008 20:21:

> Long story short, I ended up using a hacked older version of setup.exe
> that accepted a -p parameter and a list of packages. It worked great!
>
> Is there a compelling reason why that patch can't be applied to the
> current setup and released? Are there security or stability issues
> I'm not thinking about?
>
> That being said, I CAN run setup.exe in unattended quiet mode and
> get a BASE cygwin install done, and I'm quite happy with that. But
> I'd really, really like to specify packages on the command line.
>
> Can I help by offering to update the patch to the current setup?

  Absolutely, yes, please!  If you post it to the cygwin-apps list, with a
ChangeLog entry, I'll see what we can do about getting it applied.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: setup.exe command line parameters
@ 2008-06-21 18:29   ` Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-06-21 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave Korn wrote:

>> That being said, I CAN run setup.exe in unattended quiet mode and
>> get a BASE cygwin install done, and I'm quite happy with that. But
>> I'd really, really like to specify packages on the command line.
>>
>> Can I help by offering to update the patch to the current setup?
>
>   Absolutely, yes, please!  If you post it to the cygwin-apps list, with a
> ChangeLog entry, I'll see what we can do about getting it applied.

And what I'd also like to do is optionally specify a particular version
of the library.

For example, the current version of libusb-win32 is
somehow broken when I want to talk to my LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT in
SAMBA mode, but the previous 10.x version works fine.

So something like

setup [optional parameters] -p pkgFoo pkgBar pkgThis pkgThat

and have all the dependent packages automagicallly loaded.

What would the syntax for a particular version be?

setup [optional parameters] -p pkgFoo:version-string

Comments?

@ 2008-06-21 18:58     ` cuicui
From: cuicui @ 2008-06-21 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ralph Hempel a écrit :
> cuicui wrote:
>
>> You need to modify the "setup.ini" file, create "virtual" (empty)
>> package that belongs to the "Base" category and make all the additional
>> packages you want dependant of this virtual package by filling the
>> "requires" field.
>
> Ok, so how do you keep the setup.ini from being downloaded every time
> you connect to the server?

Mmm, I'm not sure there's an overlay mechanism, in my case I basically
append the "virtual" package text at the end of the setup.ini everytime
I collect a fresh package list.

> My plan is to have a c:\cygwinSetup directory on my local server,
> where I have the latest and greatest packages I need, and then
> on each machine (usually vmware machines) that I need to install on,
> I have a possibly different set of needs besides Base.
>
> So one set of scripts grabs all the packages we need to the server, and
> the other set of scripts builds the cygwin installation on the local
> machines. This reduces the overall load on the mirrors.
>
> I guess I'm actually implementing a local mirror for the packages, now
> that I think about it. Is there a way to limit the scope of the packages
> that I choose to mirror locally?

Maintaining a mirror simply consists in keeping the installation files
in one place and sticking to a mirror for more convenience (otherwise a
new directory named by the mirror URL is created in the repository).

The setup scopes the packages by itself as far as it's only downloading
the packages you choose to install (+ the "base" packages).

Regards,

Nicolas

* Re: setup.exe command line parameters
@ 2008-06-22 17:16   ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2008-06-22 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave Korn schrieb:
> Ralph Hempel wrote on 20 June 2008 20:21:
>> Long story short, I ended up using a hacked older version of setup.exe
>> that accepted a -p parameter and a list of packages. It worked great!
>>
>> Is there a compelling reason why that patch can't be applied to the
>> current setup and released? Are there security or stability issues
>> I'm not thinking about?
>>
>> That being said, I CAN run setup.exe in unattended quiet mode and
>> get a BASE cygwin install done, and I'm quite happy with that. But
>> I'd really, really like to specify packages on the command line.
>>
>> Can I help by offering to update the patch to the current setup?
>
>   Absolutely, yes, please!  If you post it to the cygwin-apps list, with a
> ChangeLog entry, I'll see what we can do about getting it applied.

You mean the patch from
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin.applications/16502 ?

--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/  http://murbreak.at/

* RE: setup.exe command line parameters
@ 2008-06-22 18:17     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-06-22 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Reini Urban wrote on 22 June 2008 16:52:

> Dave Korn schrieb:
>> Ralph Hempel wrote on 20 June 2008 20:21:
>>> Long story short, I ended up using a hacked older version of setup.exe
>>> that accepted a -p parameter and a list of packages. It worked great!
>>>
>>> Is there a compelling reason why that patch can't be applied to the
>>> current setup and released? Are there security or stability issues I'm
>>> not thinking about?
>>>
>>> That being said, I CAN run setup.exe in unattended quiet mode and
>>> get a BASE cygwin install done, and I'm quite happy with that. But
>>> I'd really, really like to specify packages on the command line.
>>>
>>> Can I help by offering to update the patch to the current setup?
>>
>>   Absolutely, yes, please!  If you post it to the cygwin-apps list, with
>> a ChangeLog entry, I'll see what we can do about getting it applied.
>
> You mean the patch from
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin.applications/16502 ?

  Uh, nope, not me, I don't mean anything.  What Ralph means, you'll have to
ask him...

  (Thanks for the pointer though!)

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: setup.exe command line parameters
@ 2008-06-23  7:05     ` Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-06-23  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Reini Urban wrote:

> You mean the patch from
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin.applications/16502 ?

I meant this one:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-03/msg00109.html>

@ 2008-06-23  8:42       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-06-23  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ralph Hempel wrote on 23 June 2008 01:05:

> Reini Urban wrote:
>
>> You mean the patch from
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin.applications/16502 ?
>
> I meant this one:
>
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-03/msg00109.html>
>
> Ralph

  As it turns out that's the same patch by the same author only in an
earlier stage of development!  We'll go with the later version :)

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: setup.exe command line parameters
@ 2008-06-23 12:20         ` Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-06-23 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave Korn wrote:

>   As it turns out that's the same patch by the same author only in an
> earlier stage of development!  We'll go with the later version :)

Sorry if I'm trimming too much from the msgs...

Are you saying that the patch pointed to by Reini is ready
to be integrated into the current source tree?

Or does somebody still need to merge it with the current
tree?

@ 2008-06-23 12:37           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-06-23 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ralph Hempel wrote on 23 June 2008 12:35:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>>   As it turns out that's the same patch by the same author only in an
>> earlier stage of development!  We'll go with the later version :)
>

> Sorry if I'm trimming too much from the msgs...
>
> Are you saying that the patch pointed to by Reini is ready
> to be integrated into the current source tree?
>
> Or does somebody still need to merge it with the current
> tree?

  Well, it needs a little debugging first, but it shouldn't be tricky to
bash into shape.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: setup.exe command line parameters
@ 2008-06-24  0:40             ` Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-06-24  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave Korn wrote:

>   Well, it needs a little debugging first, but it shouldn't be tricky to
> bash into shape.

Sorry for taking so long, but here's what we have so far. The "newer"
patch referred to by Reini is against but the patch is against 2.590
which looks like it's a bout 2 point releases behind the current version
in the 1.7 tree for setup.

The current "released" version of setup is 2.573.2.2

So the question is, if I'm going to look at patching setup to accept
a list of packages on the command line, then which version should
we be merging the patches against?

@ 2008-06-24  1:25               ` Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-06-24  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ralph Hempel wrote:

Bad form, I know, but let me make the following sentence at least
readable...

@ 2008-06-24  1:28               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-06-24  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 08:17:42PM -0400, Ralph Hempel wrote:
>Dave Korn wrote:
>>Well, it needs a little debugging first, but it shouldn't be tricky to
>>bash into shape.
>
>Sorry for taking so long, but here's what we have so far.  The "newer"
>patch referred to by Reini is against but the patch is against 2.590
>which looks like it's a bout 2 point releases behind the current
>version in the 1.7 tree for setup.
>
>The current "released" version of setup is 2.573.2.2
>
>So the question is, if I'm going to look at patching setup to accept a
>list of packages on the command line, then which version should we be
>merging the patches against?

If you are going to be discussing setup development you should subscribe
to the cygwin-apps mailing list.

I can't speak for the setup.exe developers but I suspect that you should
be just using the CVS head for all of your development.

cgf

* Re: setup.exe command line parameters
@ 2008-06-24  3:42                 ` Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-06-24  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> If you are going to be discussing setup development you should subscribe
> to the cygwin-apps mailing list.
>
> I can't speak for the setup.exe developers but I suspect that you should
> be just using the CVS head for all of your development.

Here's a case of a topic morphing from its original intent in the
correct newsgroup to what should really be a new message in a
completely different newsgroup.

That's what I get for keeping my eyes on the road instead of looking
at the map once in a while to see where I'm going :-)

I'll move this to the correct group tomorrow...

Cheers, Ralph