* RE: system shared memory mismatch problem
@ 2008-07-03  0:08 Akula, Murali
From: Akula, Murali @ 2008-07-03  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>Akula, Murali wrote:
>
>    Hi,
>
>    I installed/uninstalled cygwin couple of times, previously.  When I
>    install a new version (1.5.24) now, I get the following error, when
>    start any app:
>

>    *************
>    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\xinit.exe (2936): *** system shared memory
>    version mismatch detected - 0x2D1E009C/0x75BE0081.
>    This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the
>    cygwin DLL.
>    Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search
facility
>    and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent
version
>    *should*
>    reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
>    installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if
you
>    are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
>    **************
>

>    I searched on my drive and the only cygwin1.dll is x:\cygwin\bin.
>    uninstalled cygwin (as recommended at the FAQ) cleaned registry
entries
>    and path, etc.., rebooted and installed cygwin again.  I continue
>    see the same problem.
>    Is there a way to find which app is creating the shared memory
area?
>    Any help is appreciated.  How can I fix this without having to
reimage
>    my machine?
>

> Make sure, if you're using Windows search, that you tell Windows to
show
> you hidden files and folders.  These options are in the "View" tab
under
> "Folder Options..." in the Explorer "Tools" menu.  Windows hides lots
of
> important stuff by default. :-(

I tried searching with 'Search Hiden Files & Folders' checked.  It still

shows only one cygwin1.dll

@ 2008-07-03  0:22 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2008-07-03  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07/02/2008, Akula, Murali wrote:
> I tried searching with 'Search Hiden Files & Folders' checked. It still
> shows only one cygwin1.dll

Then try "Process Explorer".  Grab it from sysinternals.com.  With that,
you can find out what process is running cygwin1.dll and where it is.

Holliston, MA 01746

* RE: system shared memory mismatch problem
@ 2008-07-03  0:40   ` Akula, Murali
From: Akula, Murali @ 2008-07-03  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>On 07/02/2008, Akula, Murali wrote:
>> I tried searching with 'Search Hiden Files & Folders' checked. It
still
>> shows only one cygwin1.dll
>
> Then try "Process Explorer".  Grab it from sysinternals.com.  With
that,
> you can find out what process is running cygwin1.dll and where it is.

Great tool!!  Thanks.  Tried it.  I ran rxvt from the new cygwin
installation and that's what's showing up (and sh) as using the
cygwin1.dll.  The one from c:\cygwin\bin is being used by these apps.
If I exit rxvt, then there's no other process using the cygwin1.dll.

Looks like there is no other version of cygwin1.dll running.  Do I have
something really corrupted.

I was actually wondering how can I run rxvt and some other tools, while
I cannot run X, etc..  Do they use shared memory differently? Or not
make the version checks?

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: system shared memory mismatch problem
@ 2008-07-03  0:46     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-07-03  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 05:39:59PM -0700, Akula, Murali wrote:
>>On 07/02/2008, Akula, Murali wrote:
>>>I tried searching with 'Search Hiden Files & Folders' checked.  It
>>>still shows only one cygwin1.dll
>>
>>Then try "Process Explorer".  Grab it from sysinternals.com.  With
>>that, you can find out what process is running cygwin1.dll and where it
>>is.
>
>Great tool!! Thanks.  Tried it.  I ran rxvt from the new cygwin
>installation and that's what's showing up (and sh) as using the
>cygwin1.dll.  The one from c:\cygwin\bin is being used by these apps.
>If I exit rxvt, then there's no other process using the cygwin1.dll.
>
>Looks like there is no other version of cygwin1.dll running.  Do I have
>something really corrupted.
>
>I was actually wondering how can I run rxvt and some other tools, while
>I cannot run X, etc..  Do they use shared memory differently?  Or not
>make the version checks?

If you can run rxvt but not X that would suggest that you are running
some other version of X than the standard cygwin version which has its
own cygwin1.dll.  Do you have other web downloaded packages installed?

Possibly the cygcheck output mentioned at http://cygwin.com/problems.html
would be more instructive.

Also check out BLODA: http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA .

cgf

* RE: system shared memory mismatch problem
@ 2008-07-03  1:38       ` Akula, Murali
From: Akula, Murali @ 2008-07-03  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Behalf
> Of Christopher Faylor
> Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 5:46 PM
> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: system shared memory mismatch problem

> >>Then try "Process Explorer".  Grab it from sysinternals.com.  With
> >>that, you can find out what process is running cygwin1.dll and where
it
> >>is.
> >
> >Great tool!! Thanks.  Tried it.  I ran rxvt from the new cygwin
> >installation and that's what's showing up (and sh) as using the
> >cygwin1.dll.  The one from c:\cygwin\bin is being used by these apps.
> >If I exit rxvt, then there's no other process using the cygwin1.dll.
> >
> >Looks like there is no other version of cygwin1.dll running.  Do I
have
> >something really corrupted.
> >
> >I was actually wondering how can I run rxvt and some other tools,
while
> >I cannot run X, etc..  Do they use shared memory differently?  Or not
> >make the version checks?
>
> If you can run rxvt but not X that would suggest that you are running
> some other version of X than the standard cygwin version which has its
> own cygwin1.dll.  Do you have other web downloaded packages installed?
>
> Possibly the cygcheck output mentioned at
http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> would be more instructive.

Thanks.  That helped.  I ran cygcheck and looked at the output.  Yes,
there is another cygwin1.dll in system32 folder.  It doesn't show up if
I use Windows Search (even with "search hidden files and folders" option
checked).  Even if I go to system32 folder and enable showing of hidden
files, it doesn't show up.  In cmd.exe, if I do 'dir' it shows up.  But,
if I delete it from cmd.exe, it says file not there.  But, I was able to
delete it from rxvt using rm.

I see another similar (hidden) file called cygz.dll in sys32 folder.
Shall I delete this too?

The only warning I saw in cygcheck output is for multiple cygwin1.dlls.
The X is not running for other reasons.  I'm going to uninstall and
re-install and see if I can run X.

@ 2008-07-03  3:26         ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2008-07-03  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07/02/2008, Akula, Murali wrote:
> I see another similar (hidden) file called cygz.dll in sys32 folder. Shall
> I delete this too?

Yes, and any other cyg*.dll you find in the system directory.  Most likely,
some <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP> installed stuff there just to make
your life misreable.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: system shared memory mismatch problem
@ 2008-07-02 22:11 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2008-07-02 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2008-07-02 21:02 Akula, Murali